Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"Bigfoot" sounds and habits

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Not much to say, but I didn't want to go off on a tangent on Sakari's "Tree Knocking" for bigfoot thread.

But I wanted to add that beaver tail cracks could pass for Bigfoot "throwing a rock" into a river or even some kind of wood knock if you were of an "everything" is bigfoot mindset. Or you just weren't familiar with the sound.

We are dealing with all kinds of bigfoot enthusiasts, their lack of bush knowledge and or their zeal make a powerful combination.

Edit to add: The "crack" can carry longer and louder than the give away "splash".

Edited by QuiteContrary, 12 April 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#2    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 12 April 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Not much to say, but I didn't want to go off on a tangent on Sakari's "Tree Knocking" for bigfoot thread.

But I wanted to add that beaver tail cracks could pass for Bigfoot "throwing a rock" into a river or even some kind of wood knock if you were of an "everything" is bigfoot mindset. Or you just weren't familiar with the sound.

We are dealing with all kinds of bigfoot enthusiasts, their lack of bush knowledge and or their zeal make a powerful combination.

Edit to add: The "crack" can carry longer and louder than the give away "splash".
I can see where a beaver splash and a rock being thrown will sound very similar, in fact that's hard not to see. I think I need to avoid the tree knocking thread as well. Too many egos with attitude.

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 12 April 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

I can see where a beaver splash and a rock being thrown will sound very similar, in fact that's hard not to see. I think I need to avoid the tree knocking thread as well. Too many egos with attitude.

Oh, in no way do i think Sakari would accuse me of hijacking his thread. I just thought it better to  put my comment somewhere else, 'cause of the wandering ways of bigfoot threads. :)

And yes the tail crack and rock splash are similar, but to some footers (not all) it may still not register.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 12 April 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#4    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 12 April 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Oh, in no way do i think Sakari would accuse me of hijacking his thread. I just thought it better to  put my comment somewhere else, 'cause of the wandering ways of bigfoot threads. :)

And yes the tail crack and rock splash are similar, but to some footers (not all) it may still not register.
Very true, they sound so similar that to a novice they could be mistaken plus, as you pointed out earlier, if they are dipped in the whole belief thing then they might add lib what it was without realizing it........or lie about it.

#5    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 12 April 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

... if they are dipped in the whole belief thing then they might add lib what it was without realizing it........or lie about it.
I think of it as the Art of Misidentification coupled with good old fashioned Storytelling and, when based on an entire system of belief, it becomes a surprisingly powerful combination. It is classic confirmation bias. Ultimately, there is no distinction between those who believe in Bigfoot and those who make-believe in Bigfoot. The evidence is the same - fakes, misidentifications, and more often no evidence whatsoever.

At best, Bigfoot is a purely subjective experience.

For me, that only makes the phenomenon even more fascinating because Bigfoot provides valuable insights into who we are as a species. Oh, the irony...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#6    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostNight Walker, on 12 April 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

I think of it as the Art of Misidentification coupled with good old fashioned Storytelling and, when based on an entire system of belief, it becomes a surprisingly powerful combination. It is classic confirmation bias. Ultimately, there is no distinction between those who believe in Bigfoot and those who make-believe in Bigfoot. The evidence is the same - fakes, misidentifications, and more often no evidence whatsoever.

At best, Bigfoot is a purely subjective experience.

For me, that only makes the phenomenon even more fascinating because Bigfoot provides valuable insights into who we are as a species. Oh, the irony...
Yeah, it reminds of the way some UFO types are. Yes, there are areal phenomenons that can't be explained by our current knowledge, however when they make the leap of faith to it being an alien visitation that's what put it over the edge. Many years ago I worked with a fellow who was telling people he had UFO's coming over his house every evening. This went on for some time, so I asked him if he'd mind me coming over and seeing then too. "Oh hell yeah Ken! C'mon over." So I did when darkness fell, sure enough we began to see some lights in the sky. "See there's one now. Right on time." It turned out he house was on the extreme outer loop of the Atlanta Airport and what he was seeing were commercial jets with their large lights on. You could hear the engines and when I pointed out to him it was nothing but a jet he got all pissed and insisted it was a UFO. When I saw he was getting upset I knew it was time for me to leave.

It was nothing but his own little fantasy, but one he was so steeped in that nothing was going to change his mind about it.

#7    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 12 April 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

It was nothing but his own little fantasy, but one he was so steeped in that nothing was going to change his mind about it.
Yeah… I have come across that kind of mindset too. It’s like they need to believe it. Makes it very difficult to separate facts from fiction when reports are purely anecdotal. The conviction displayed is often impressive but the reality is often a different story entirely…

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#8    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 13 April 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Yeah… I have come across that kind of mindset too. It’s like they need to believe it. Makes it very difficult to separate facts from fiction when reports are purely anecdotal. The conviction displayed is often impressive but the reality is often a different story entirely…
Bingo!

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,564 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 12 April 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Oh, in no way do i think Sakari would accuse me of hijacking his thread.

Nope, not my style at all :)

Good call on the Beaver slap.....

This last week, I thought I new quite a bit, and thought most of these things about Bif were pretty much redundant...........

The Woodpeckers, and the other bird using a stick to tree knock, those were new for me........

Than I learned that the claim of primates tree knocking is also just that, a claim...

And this is also the first I heard of a suggestion to the Beaver Tail slap.........Good Call !!!

I have heard it many times, and in a more wooded area, in a valley / mountain area, that sound is amazing.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#10    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostSakari, on 13 April 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

Nope, not my style at all :)

Good call on the Beaver slap.....

This last week, I thought I new quite a bit, and thought most of these things about Bif were pretty much redundant...........

The Woodpeckers, and the other bird using a stick to tree knock, those were new for me........

Than I learned that the claim of primates tree knocking is also just that, a claim...

And this is also the first I heard of a suggestion to the Beaver Tail slap.........Good Call !!!

I have heard it many times, and in a more wooded area, in a valley / mountain area, that sound is amazing.

It can sound just like a gunshot too. First one I heard as a kid, that is what I thought.
Ooops, my bad, that falls under the bigfoot with guns thread. :P

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 13 April 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

It can sound just like a gunshot too. First one I heard as a kid, that is what I thought.
Ooops, my bad, that falls under the bigfoot with guns thread. :P

I concur - without ego I might add.

I almost jumped out my kayak a couple of summers ago when I heard one.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#12    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 April 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

I concur - without ego I might add.

I almost jumped out my kayak a couple of summers ago when I heard one.
Naaaw, it's all about ego, and that was Bigfoot shooting at you. he had a woodpecker spotting for him.

#13    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

A good sized bass hitting the top of the water can produce a loud splash also.

Posted Image

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostStardrive, on 13 April 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

A good sized bass hitting the top of the water can produce a loud splash also.

Yes,the list of bigfoot sound makers continues....

#15    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 13 April 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Yes,the list of bigfoot sound makers continues....
There are any number of sounds that can be mistaken for Bigfoot sounds Personally, I'm not sure what a Bigfoot would sound like if I heard it yell, assuming they are in fact real. As for all the other stuff? Who knows, apparently some can be fooled by squirrels and woodpecker activity, no doubt my Pomeranian will fool these guys as well as I take him for a walk. *sorry, still can't get over that rubbish*

Beaver tails, fish jumping, pretty much anything that makes a splashing sound can be a real probability for confusing sounds. However, I would point out that when you hear "something" rather than jump to a conclusion about what it might have been, try something radical and verify what it was you heard. If you heard it then you're right there in the present and can do your own investigation. For Heaven's Sake please, do check for squirrels banging their nuts on trees and take a bit to see if maybe you can spot a woodpecker.........however if you can't tell the difference in them from you whacking a tree with a Louisville slugger then you're pretty much screwed as far as trying to find anything. *damnit, there I go again, sorry*

The one thing I'm surprised, nay shocked, at not hearing are the common sounds, runting buck activity, snorting, pawing the ground, thrashing about with their antlers. Bucks fighting and posturing for females. Bears during the mating season, elk? Hell, I recall thinking I'd come across something once and it was two male raccoons fighting for a female in season. Talk about sounding like a melee? Not sure what was worse the fight or the conquest of the female?

Now my point is, having heard all these rather common things, some idiot with a heart filled with belief will hear them and simply assume "That's a Squatch." because......well......he or she is an idiot who's watch that show too much.

Next I suppose we'll see Elmer Fudd telling us to "Be vwey quiet, I'm hunting Bigfgoots. Wook! I hear him up in the twees."

*Crap, there I go again. Time to leave*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users