Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976,

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#46    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostOverSword, on 13 April 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Amazing how we don't have any monolith shaped hills on our planet.  But fine, you see one thing and Buzz see's another.  It's not like he's more educated or qualified than you or I to make a judgement about this right?
Is Buzz Aldrin actually educated or qualified to make judgments about this?

He's an experienced military pilot, astronaut and did his college degree in astronautics.  No offense to his qualifications or experience but does this actually give him any insight into judging what this object is?

Plenty of people who are experts or experienced in one area have pretty odd ideas in other areas.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#47    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,432 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 13 April 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Is Buzz Aldrin actually educated or qualified to make judgments about this?

He's an experienced military pilot, astronaut and did his college degree in astronautics.  No offense to his qualifications or experience but does this actually give him any insight into judging what this object is?

Plenty of people who are experts or experienced in one area have pretty odd ideas in other areas.

I would guess that part of the skill sets of being a pilot and astronaut would include being educated at recognizing features in landscapes from above.  Doubly so for one who actually did land on another planet.

edit for:

One thing for sure about the supposed monolith.  It is highly reflective compared to the material around it.

Edited by OverSword, 13 April 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#48    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Amazing how we don't have any monolith shaped hills on our planet.  But fine, you see one thing and Buzz see's another.  It's not like he's more educated or qualified than you or I to make a judgement about this right?

Except it's not a monolith, if you'd bothered ding a look through on this image which I can remember being discussed for at least two years no on this forum and others,it's been found to be a regularly shaped hill with a shadow effect.

But hey, given how you find ancient NASA news to be evidence of disclosure whenit finally pops round the MM sphere, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I love Buzz,but what qualifications does he have to examinethe geological 'structure and imagery of another object in the solar system?
He has no qualifications for geology either terrestrial or, and this is more important,no terrestrial. We have different geologists now for the various rocky planets due to their unique geology.
He has no qualifications for image analysis.

Buzz Aldrin is awesome... but not so awesome that I accept his opinion in thingsother than landing on the moon.

(Him punching that guy was great to, especially with the commentary by the judge.)

View PostOverSword, on 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I

One thing for sure about the supposed monolith.  It is highly reflective compared to the material around it.
No,it's at a higher elevation and catching more light, as obvious by the long shadow it's casting.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#49    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Amazing how we don't have any monolith shaped hills on our planet.

It took me about 6 seconds to find this, and some of them sure look natural... http://www.google.co...__HUCQ&tbm=isch

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#50    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 13 April 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Except it's not a monolith, if you'd bothered ding a look through on this image which I can remember being discussed for at least two years no on this forum and others,it's been found to be a regularly shaped hill with a shadow effect.

But hey, given how you find ancient NASA news to be evidence of disclosure whenit finally pops round the MM sphere, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I love Buzz,but what qualifications does he have to examinethe geological 'structure and imagery of another object in the solar system?
He has no qualifications for geology either terrestrial or, and this is more important,no terrestrial. We have different geologists now for the various rocky planets due to their unique geology.
He has no qualifications for image analysis.

Buzz Aldrin is awesome... but not so awesome that I accept his opinion in thingsother than landing on the moon.

(Him punching that guy was great to, especially with the commentary by the judge.)

No,it's at a higher elevation and catching more light, as obvious by the long shadow it's casting.
Actually I was just being funny about the disclosure.  But the bightness on that "monolith" indicates that it is much more reflective than the surrounding material, so you will not convince me it is a hill.  A hill would be composed of the same material surrounding it.  Show me a picture of an earth hill that appears so much brighter than the lower ground around it.

Edited by OverSword, 13 April 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#51    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostHazzard, on 13 April 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

It took me about 6 seconds to find this, and some of them sure look natural... http://www.google.co...__HUCQ&tbm=isch
sattelite phots please.

#52    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostOverSword, on 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Show me a picture of an earth hill that appears so much brighter than the lower ground around it.

Posted Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#53    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

ummmmm....yeah.

#54    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostOverSword, on 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Actually I was just being funny about the disclosure.  But the bightness on that "monolith" indicates that it is much more reflective than the surrounding material, so you will not convince me it is a hill.  A hill would be composed of the same material surrounding it.  Show me a picture of an earth hill that appears so much brighter than the lower ground around it.

You've never seen a mountain or tall hill where the uppoer part is illuminated more than the lower part at sun rise or sun set?
Really?
Or even on buildings, statues, tall structures of any kind?
I live in Florida and I've seen this.
Where do you live?

Posted Image

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#55    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostOverSword, on 13 April 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

sattelite phots please.

You seriously cant see how one of those could be mistaken for an alien artifact, in the "right conditions",  picture taken from orbit by the MRO, or any other spacecraft designed to conduct reconnaissance in this starsystem?

Edited by Hazzard, 13 April 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#56    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostOverSword, on 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I would guess that part of the skill sets of being a pilot and astronaut would include being educated at recognizing features in landscapes from above.  Doubly so for one who actually did land on another planet.
Is your guess actually right?  I find it hard to imagine that being a pilot or astronaut involves training to let you determine whether an object on the ground is an artificial or natural monolith.  Surely some knowledge of geology and particularly Martian geology is needed to determine the nature of this object and if it is reasonable to conclude it's not natural.

Possibly because it's a different type of rock of a different colour to the surrounding area which has eroded away to expose the rock in question.  One of the reasons you get monoliths on earth sticking out of the ground is because it's a harder more erosion resistant rock than what surrounds it so if erosive forces wash away the ground, the rock remains sticking out of the ground.

edit: Another thought - the top of the rock isn't horizontal and is actually facing the sun and thus reflecting more light upward towards the satellite.

Edited by Archimedes, 13 April 2012 - 10:54 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#57    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

What is it with this fascination when it comes to "straight lines" and aliens? Nature does this all the time here on Earth, so why not on other planets/moons/asteroids? The only difference being, Earth has an atmosphere eroding these things down as time goes by...

Edited by Hazzard, 13 April 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#58    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostHazzard, on 13 April 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

What is it with this fascination when it comes to "straight lines" and aliens? Nature does this all the time here on Earth, so why not on other planets/moons/asteroids? The only difference being, Earth has an atmosphere eroding these things down as time goes by...
Common wisdom is nature doesn't make straight lines. Anything that violates common wisdom is therefor mysterious and suspect.

-Terry Pratchett

#59    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 13 April 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Common wisdom is nature doesn't make straight lines. Anything that violates common wisdom is therefor mysterious and suspect.

Well then "common wisdom" is wrong, isnt it.

#60    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostHazzard, on 13 April 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Well then "common wisdom" is wrong, isnt it.
Yup. S'why I'm not a big fan of common sense.

Oneof the things that bugs me about these sorts of threads is, none of this is new. The idea dates back to the findings of the original findings of the Viking lander.
(I do wish Carl Sagan was still alive, wonder what he'd have to say about this new rework of the information.)

it's sort of like how the news recently made rounds that astronauts and space probes had detected amino acids abounding in space.

Loud cries of conspiracy and disclosure and such were made.

Yet the original data had been released to the public almost immediately after the landings, and was well known to people who had just a passing interest in space, like myself.

-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users