Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Contact lost with flagship Envisat spacecraft

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Contact has been lost with the European Space Agency's (Esa) flagship Earth observation mission - Envisat.

Controllers stopped receiving data from the eight-tonne spacecraft on Sunday, and have not as yet been able to re-establish communications.

Envisat was launched in 2002 and is already operating five years beyond its planned mission lifetime.

Esa was expecting to turn off the spacecraft in 2014, once the first in a series of follow-ons had been launched.

A recovery team, which includes experts from industry, is now working to try to re-establish contact with the platform.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,106 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

"A recovery team, which includes experts from industry, is now working to try to re-establish contact with the platform" makes it sound as if they've sent a tow truck.
Well, it lasted a bit longer than Kim Jong-un's 'un, so I dobn't suppose they ought to complain too much.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

View Post747400, on 13 April 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

"A recovery team, which includes experts from industry, is now working to try to re-establish contact with the platform" makes it sound as if they've sent a tow truck.
Well, it lasted a bit longer than Kim Jong-un's 'un, so I dobn't suppose they ought to complain too much.

Ah might an 8 ton spacecraft be a danger?  Could it fall to earth?  What if it collides with another spacecraft?  I read we are trashing up the space around us, and scientist are now trying to figure out how to remove our trash from space.  

:w00t:  What if it quit talking to us, because it is talking to aliens?

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,587 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

The Euro Space Agency have lost a communications satellite..This is called Envisat and is the largest civilian satellite ever to fly,apparently it has forgotten to phone home on the 8th April.Its 10 years old weighs about 8000 kilos and is the size of a school bus,and is said to be flying 497 miles above the Earth,at the last time it was heard...

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• 3,961 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for letting us know ! By the way, I'm curious what's a "civilian satellite" ?

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#6    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,587 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 21 April 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Thanks for letting us know ! By the way, I'm curious what's a "civilian satellite" ?
Not a military satellite, dont you have satellites for weather,tv.cell phones,etc ? which are for commercial use,like how about sky tv ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#7    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• 3,961 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Ah i see

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postme-wonders, on 13 April 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Ah might an 8 ton spacecraft be a danger?  Could it fall to earth?  What if it collides with another spacecraft?  I read we are trashing up the space around us, and scientist are now trying to figure out how to remove our trash from space.  

:w00t:  What if it quit talking to us, because it is talking to aliens?

Maybe it's singing a song?

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

ESA declares end of mission for Envisat

www.ESA.int said:

Just weeks after celebrating its tenth year in orbit, communication with the Envisat satellite was suddenly lost on 8 April. Following rigorous attempts to re-establish contact and the investigation of failure scenarios, the end of the mission is being declared.

A team of engineers has spent the last month attempting to regain control of Envisat, investigating possible reasons for the problem.

Despite continuous commands sent from a widespread network of ground stations, there has been no reaction yet from the satellite.

As there were no signs of degradation before the loss of contact, the team has been collecting other information to help understand the satellite’s condition. These include images from ground radar and the French Pleiades satellite.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users