Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Argentina president proposes oil nationaliza

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

latimesblogs.latimes.com said:

If approved, the government would acquire a 50.1% interest in the company, whose majority owner is Spain-based Repsol. News of the proposal sent YPF share prices soaring 8.6% in New York Stock Exchange trading, as investors positioned themselves for the government’s possible purchase of shares.

Posted Image Read more...
good for them!!

Edited by jugoso, 13 April 2012 - 11:23 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,784 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

View Postjugoso, on 13 April 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

good for them!!
If government control has led to higher prices, why is that good?  I agree that having a market control energy is wrong without some regulations but I can also see a private company not wanting to invest in something that is not yielding the best return it's capable of....
It will be interesting to see what compromise can be made.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,995 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Why would it raise the price of oil?

#4    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postand then, on 14 April 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

If government control has led to higher prices, why is that good?  I agree that having a market control energy is wrong without some regulations but I can also see a private company not wanting to invest in something that is not yielding the best return it's capable of....
It will be interesting to see what compromise can be made.
It can turn out to be more beneficial and profitable to the producing nation.

"the purpose of obtaining more revenue from oil for oil producing countries. Nationalization eliminates the concession system—in which private international companies control oil resources within oil-producing countries—and allows oil-producing countries to regain control."

http://en.wikipedia....of_oil_supplies

If it does happen, it ain´t gonna go down easy:

Spain's secretary of state for EU affairs Inigo Mendez de Vigo warned that Argentina would become "an international pariah" if it were to go through with such plans.

"I think that if it happens, it would be very bad news for everybody, but also for Argentina because in the international community we live in, breaking the rules bears a cost," he said.

http://news.sympatic...l_unit/9b025b17

EC response:
“We take the side of Spain in this situation,” said EU spokesman flatly Olivier Bailly during a press conference in Brussels."

The European Commission hopes that the Argentine authorities “ensure respect for international commitments on the protection of foreign investments in its territory,” he said, and said the EU executive remains in contact with the Spanish government and the situation is “very attention.

http://growthstockbr...ments-with-ypf/

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users