Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why is America not mentioned in the Bible?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,671 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I realize there are many theories as to America's place in end time events.  Of those possibilities the closest fit seems to me to be a reference in Ezekiel 38 about Gog being burned with fire as well as "those that dwell carelessly in the Isles"  But there is never a real mention of America in the Bible.  For those who take the bible as the inspired word of God and a message from Him to us, I've often wondered how the most powerful nation on earth,EVER in history, could be completely ignored as though it never existed.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#2    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postand then, on 14 April 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

I realize there are many theories as to America's place in end time events.  Of those possibilities the closest fit seems to me to be a reference in Ezekiel 38 about Gog being burned with fire as well as "those that dwell carelessly in the Isles"  But there is never a real mention of America in the Bible.  For those who take the bible as the inspired word of God and a message from Him to us, I've often wondered how the most powerful nation on earth,EVER in history, could be completely ignored as though it never existed.

Because America didn't exist when that book was written.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#3    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

And it's debatable if the USA is the most powerful nation ever.

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

What do you know, airplanes and cars aren't mentioned either!!

#5    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,191 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 April 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

The OP means the whole of it, their were no countries back then.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,671 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 April 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Anything is debatable.  But by nearly any metric you can imagine, the US has outperformed all other nations.  And we stand today as the West's last, pitiful defense of a freedom most don't even deserve...including the US these days.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,671 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I realize that a majority here are atheist or agnostic and no problem.  But I want to have a serious discussion among folks who have pondered this subject.  Obviously if you think the Bible is a book of fairy stories there's no need to join in the discussion, no?
So, the question stands.  And for those who think a country should be given it's modern name, that isn't the case for any country I know of in scripture except Greece.  Countries are identified by the people groups that inhabited these areas at the time the books were written.

#8    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Lol. Americans and there ego.  :rolleyes:

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,671 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 14 April 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Lol. Americans and there ego.  :rolleyes:
So if you had to choose a country in history that was stronger.... who would it be?  And that's NOT what this thread is about.

#10    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostErix, on 14 April 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

The OP means the whole of it, their were no countries back then.
No, he doesn't.

#11    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postand then, on 14 April 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

So if you had to choose a country in history that was stronger.... who would it be?  And that's NOT what this thread is about.
There are so many that are at least comparable. The British Empire, the Roman Empire, the Mongolian Empire, China during the Qing dynasty, the Holy Roman Empire and quie a few more.

#12    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ok. Serious answer. It is not mentioned in the bible because it did not exist when it was written. And because it was written by men at the time, and not an all knowing being, they didnt know there would be an America.

End of story.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#13    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well, If revelations were true and were to happen today, I would say by the descriptions of Rev 18:1-18:24 that the Babylon that they talk about burning in the bible is actually the US.  Rev 18:11 mentions merchants gnashing their teeth because there was noone to buy ther goods anymore.  The US contains 5% of the worlds population but uses 25% of the energy, 50% of the worlds diamonds, 60% of the worlds drugs. I could google more stats but I think you get the idea.

#14    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postand then, on 14 April 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

I realize that a majority here are atheist or agnostic and no problem.  But I want to have a serious discussion among folks who have pondered this subject.  Obviously if you think the Bible is a book of fairy stories there's no need to join in the discussion, no?
So, the question stands.  And for those who think a country should be given it's modern name, that isn't the case for any country I know of in scripture except Greece.  Countries are identified by the people groups that inhabited these areas at the time the books were written.

Back in the time when the Bible was penned, most people hadn't even traveled miles from where they were born, more or less heard of other continents. Or are you referring to no prophecies about America in general? A few places were mentioned using their actual name, but mostly, I'm lead to believe things are very ambiguous, hence why there's so many different interpretations and religions today. It would be much easier if it wasn't so critic and just said everything in layman's terms. But imagine how boring the world would be without so many conflicting religions and everyone was happy :)

#15    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,676 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Postand then, on 14 April 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

Mandarin (Chinese) and Spanish are very close rivals to English as the most spoken languages in the world.  We see the world through our own database of experience - but we are not really seeing the world at all, we are just seeing our own little corner of it and assuming everything that matters revolves around what we understand or have been taught to be true by the media/govt etc.

It's all a form of propaganda, what a Chinese or Spanish soul sees of the world may not show America or the English speaking world as much of an influence or power at all depending on their lifestyle - to 90% of the planet America could easily be seen as quite irrelevant one way or the other, it's possible and worth considering how skewed our perpective of the western world's importance in world's events could be,- just a thought experiment I'm throwing into the mix to mull over .

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users