Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Park Service Requiring Permits to Hunt Bigfoo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

http://now.msn.com/l...ing-permit.aspx

The link above is to the story. Ya' just gotta love it.

:hmm:

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Fantastic.  

I wonder if woodpecker watching groups have to pay the permit fee?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#3    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostRafterman, on 14 April 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Fantastic.  

I would guess they probably do if they are charging people money to take them out to look at woodpeckers. That is what he got in trouble for, he was running a tour business with out a permit... it had nothing really to do with the reason that he was giving those tours (bigfoot).

#4    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Well people charge to talk to the dead and 'experience' ghosts. so why not bigots

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#5    Matt121

Matt121

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Someone should tell these people these hunters that they are wasting their money because Bigfoot doesn't exist, if it existed one would have turned up by now dead or alive

#6    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostRafterman, on 14 April 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Fantastic.  

Naaaaaw, the woodpecker hunters just walk in circles looking up at the time. Though I think it ironic that now the Park Service wants in on the scam. Fool's and their money and all that, one wonders what they'd do if you shot one?

#7    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

"If you're going to make a business out of taking naive people into national parks and extorting money from them to go hunt around for Bigfoot"    Bingo! reporter

$10,000 bucks! What is he showing them? Even Finding Bigfoot can't find anything worth looking at. I wonder how much *ahem* "advance prep" he does?

My sister is out of work, maybe.... :P

Edited by QuiteContrary, 15 April 2012 - 12:05 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 14 April 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Naaaaaw, the woodpecker hunters just walk in circles looking up at the time. Though I think it ironic that now the Park Service wants in on the scam. Fool's and their money and all that, one wonders what they'd do if you shot one?

I would guess that anyone doing any kind of paid tour or conducting business in general in Federal Parks has to buy such permits.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#9    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

View PostRafterman, on 15 April 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

I would guess that anyone doing any kind of paid tour or conducting business in general in Federal Parks has to buy such permits.
That would be my guess as well, however it seems that they might have checked before hand. However, 31 people at a median price of $400 each is $12,400.00. Not a bad haul. Wonder if that was a weekend "expedition" or what?

Edited by keninsc, 15 April 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#10    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

I guess what bothers me the most about these expeditions and day trips and conferences... is the kids. Teaching kids "this" or "that" is bigfoot signs or behavior...

I'm a parent and I've made my share of bad parenting calls. But I still feel sorry for these kids. It's just wrong.

Some of these adult footer "teachers" know they are full of it. I couldn't look a kid in the eye and sleep at night while spreading my BS.

What a waste and distortion of what could be a great outdoor teaching opportunity for kids.

Just my opinion.

#11    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 15 April 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

I guess what bothers me the most about these expeditions and day trips and conferences... is the kids. Teaching kids "this" or "that" is bigfoot signs or behavior...

I'm a parent and I've made my share of bad parenting calls. But I still feel sorry for these kids. It's just wrong.

Some of these adult footer "teachers" know they are full of it. I couldn't look a kid in the eye and sleep at night while spreading my BS.

What a waste and distortion of what could be a great outdoor teaching opportunity for kids.

Just my opinion.
Hey we all make mistakes in parenting, in fact I recall telling someone once by the time you learn good parenting skills your kids are grown. You just have to accept that you will screw up but if you know that going in then you can be mindful of what you do. More than one I wished I could have jumped into my time machine and get a "redo".

As far as bringing kids up in the "believer" realm, we teach kids religion, politics and morals so if you're a believer in Bigfoot then that is going to have an influence on them as well.

#12    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,093 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

I heard Sylvia Brown is hosting a Bigfoot hunt this Summer......

I think it is Great what the National Park System has done.....At least they are not lying about why there is a fee, and they are not being fraud's either.

I say charge them 80% of the fee they receive, and charge the people whom paid $200.00 each for being so dumb in the first place.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#13    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 15 April 2012 - 03:37 AM, said:

As far as bringing kids up in the "believer" realm, we teach kids religion, politics and morals so if you're a believer in Bigfoot then that is going to have an influence on them as well.

Yeah, I am not referring so much to the blinded gullible parents as the "leader" who knows better.

There are some of us skeptics who think "believers" who don't really believe is not so uncommon. Money, fame, power, ego, the fun of the scam, (chicks/dudes and beer :no:)  who knows, but some know better.

#14    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Money, fame, power, ego,
yeah being labeled a crackpot and made fun of by the mainstream... that's living the life.

#15    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostConrad Clough, on 15 April 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

yeah being labeled a crackpot and made fun of by the mainstream... that's living the life.

It sure hasn't slowed them down.
More are taking advantage of this phenomenon than ever before.
And making money, and suckering the gullible, and beating their chests because
they are bigfoot "experts" and finding power in taking advantage of others,
So, sorry, but I don't feel sorry for the ones that know better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users