Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Religious Leaders Slams GOP Budget

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

My link

“It’s the height of hypocrisy for Rep. Ryan to claim that his approach to the budget is shaped by Catholic teaching and values,” said Fr. John Baumann, S.J., founder of PICO National Network. [...] “A central moral measure of any budget proposal is how it affects “the least of these” (Matthew 25). The needs of those who are hungry and homeless, without work or in poverty should come first.”

#2    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,675 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Why the hell would you shape budget based on catholic teachings and values? That's just absurd.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,797 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

I tend to vote for conservative candidates and have done since Reagan's time.  This year I'll vote for anyone except Oby.  Until the economic catastrophe came upon us in '08 I believed in what Ryan espouses here.  I still do not think that taxing small businesses (million$ or less per year)is the answer to all our problems.  It's a fools errand since businesses never have paid taxes.  The whole class warfare strategy will probably work for Oby due to the stupidity of the electorate in modern America.  So be it.  At least we'll all go down together.
The idea of religions advocating the idea of hard work and self sufficiency is wonderful when the opportunities exist for that hard work.  Gridlock has become so entrenched that people with money to invest and a vision of how we might move forward as a nation are being kept on the sideline by common sense.  Why spend hard earned(or even stolen) money in a venture when the government is going to regulate and tax you into making no return?
If America reelects Oby then we deserve everything he manages to do to us in the next four years.
And if people like Ryan don't get their heads out of their butts and look at the real world then they need to fail as well.   :unsure2:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostTHE MATRIX, on 14 April 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

To be fair, the three clergy quoted in the article aren't exactly "mainstream" religious leaders and are known to be very left leaning.

It's not exactly like the Southern Baptist Convention came out against the Ryan budget.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,548 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 April 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

Why the hell would you shape budget based on catholic teachings and values? That's just absurd.
Well arguably there is a social dimension to Catholic doctrine that could, again arguably, play a role in financial decision-making. The points were made in the article, and easily observable to anyone who has spent anytime in a Catholic church (unless they're really different in America to how they are here in Australia) - to get in you walk past stuff about what's going on in the community and donation plates for the poor and organisational schedules for things like meals-on-wheels and soup kitchens.

So if someone was building a financial policy around their Catholicism then there'd be a strong vein of support for social justice initives.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users