Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pagan beliefs included in school RE

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Mike Judge created King of the Hill. I'm sure it's a different one though

SRS

#32    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Mike Judge, Christian Institute spokesman, said: ‘Religious education is squeezed already – there’s barely enough time to cover Christianity and the other major religions.

'Introducing paganism is just faddish and has more to do with the political correctness of teachers than the educational needs of children.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1sH5NeRDZ

Paganism and Druidism are more local religions than Christianity and other religions.  Religions that have survived the inquisition, withchunts, Cesar for more than 2000 years deserve something others than the title of "faddish".

Mike Judge is an intolerant B.....

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#33    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,166 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 16 April 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Where i come from  any time we attended  RE lessons in any school ... We never ever were taught about  other faiths.. All they stuck with was - Christianity..  And I am not kidding

If you lived over here and wanted to learn about other faiths, you go to a library  ....They may teach some other faiths  in   university  but not the primary or secondary schools that are Christian.....
My primary education was te same, and in fact in the secular state schools it still is.
A colleague of mine once got a local Imam to come in and he spoke at length about this history of Islam and the rituals and so forth. He was fascinating and the kids were rapt. Guess who got a smak on the knuckles because of the 'unapproved religion'?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#34    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 17 April 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

My primary education was te same, and in fact in the secular state schools it still is.
A colleague of mine once got a local Imam to come in and he spoke at length about this history of Islam and the rituals and so forth. He was fascinating and the kids were rapt. Guess who got a smak on the knuckles because of the 'unapproved religion'?

Who did?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#35    Arawyn

Arawyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

• "Insanity is like gravity. All it takes is a little push" - The Joker

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think it's a good idea that they are having lessons on this stuff in their schools. I myself am a Wiccan, and I meet people all the time who see a pentagram drawn on my arm or some other neopagan symbol and they say something like "Oh look, your a satanist!" It's just that people aren't properly educated about such things, so they usually end up offending people like me. It would be nice if they could know a bit more about us.

#36    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,166 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 17 April 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Who did?
The teacher who invited the Imam got into tonnes of trouble despite filling out the paperwork etc.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#37    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

The teacher who invited the Imam got into tonnes of trouble despite filling out the paperwork etc.

That's  terrible ....

I had a Christian RE teacher that  said, all the other religious people in the world  who worship  other Gods or multi Gods.. are going to hell........... I guess this is part of the reason why so many Christian schools over here will refuse to  educated kids on  world religion ...

#38    Arawyn

Arawyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

• "Insanity is like gravity. All it takes is a little push" - The Joker

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

That thing about going to hell always confused me. I mean, if Jesus Christ is so kind and compassionat and loves us all, why would he send us to hell for not believing in his god and that he's that god's son? Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

But thats just my opinion, so i dunno.

#39    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 5,044 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 18 April 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

That's  terrible ....

I had a Christian RE teacher that  said, all the other religious people in the world  who worship  other Gods or multi Gods.. are going to hell........... I guess this is part of the reason why so many Christian schools over here will refuse to  educated kids on  world religion ...

It was Irish missionaries that converted the pagan English, there's a little known fact that god had considered Ireland for the birth place of Jesus.....but he couldn't find three wise men and a virgin. :rofl:

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#40    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

chistananity it just centred around death in my opinoin theres no ther religion thats caused more death, hence them being reprehencable about the past and not wnting people to "go there" catholics and christans are nothing more than a cult that caused the death and oppretion of millions of living breathing people , all hail athism!!

#41    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

wanting to think and know theres more is just part of the human phycy that helps us to spread and pro-create like any other organism out there its part of who we are witch has a benifet but please people take it to far when they start beliving in gods or god ect ,stay realistic and dont push catholosism or christianity on the kids with warnings on burning for eternity yada yada yada its all just fear tactics like any other religion

#42    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostParacelse, on 17 April 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Paganism and Druidism are more local religions than Christianity and other religions.  Religions that have survived the inquisition, withchunts, Cesar for more than 2000 years deserve something others than the title of "faddish".

Mike Judge is an intolerant B.....
Actually modern druidism bears no relation to ancient druidism, it was effectively wiped out long ago with very little of their traditions surviving into written record. Modern druidism starts off with romanticising what was known of the Druids in the 18th century. Much of paganism is fairly recent as well, especially Wicca which was developed in the 50s.

Not that there's no reason for them to be included in a religious ed class.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#43    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 18 April 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

It was Irish missionaries that converted the pagan English, there's a little known fact that god had considered Ireland for the birth place of Jesus.....but he couldn't find three wise men and a virgin. :rofl:

Posted Image OMG that is so funny...  Good one  ..

#44    Jaguarpurrr

Jaguarpurrr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• Time spent laughing, is time spent with the gods.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I am Wiccan and agree that there should be some lessons taught.  Many are ignorant to the belief system of pagans, wiccans, witches.  We are not satanists.  We do not even believe in satan that is a Christian stygma.  It is good that someone has opened there eyes to teach the young that we are about celebrating life and nature.  We try to live in harmony with Nature and all the creatures upon this Mother Earth.  Blesse Be!  Merry Meet, Merry Part, Merry Meet Again

#45    Jaguarpurrr

Jaguarpurrr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• Time spent laughing, is time spent with the gods.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I comletely agree with you . Do you know that christian churches were built over pagan sites to try to dicourage people from worshipping Mother Nature and induce people to go to christian churches?  That is awful in my opinion.

View PostArawyn, on 17 April 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think it's a good idea that they are having lessons on this stuff in their schools. I myself am a Wiccan, and I meet people all the time who see a pentagram drawn on my arm or some other neopagan symbol and they say something like "Oh look, your a satanist!" It's just that people aren't properly educated about such things, so they usually end up offending people like me. It would be nice if they could know a bit more about us.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1234.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users