Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Replacing America: Who would You choose?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,637 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

I posted a topic earlier and as a part of it mentioned my belief that America was the most powerful/greatest nation in history.  Quite a few took issue with that idea.  So I began to wonder, if America is as inept and evil as many seem to believe then who exactly would be best to take on the role of a superpower who's morality would suit your own?  If one nation had to be dominant which nation would you prefer to see guiding the world forward into a new millenium?  Compare this new leader with America and explain why you think it would be better for mankind.

Edited by and then, 15 April 2012 - 01:33 AM.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#2    omerta

omerta

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

The US isn't the first, nor will it be the last empire. It will fall and another will take it's place just like many before.

Edited by omerta, 15 April 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,637 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

View Postomerta, on 15 April 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

The US isn't the first, nor will it be the last empire. It will fall and another will take it's place just like many before.
It's comforting to know that you read history Omerta.  But what does that have to do with the OP?

#4    wittyusernamefailed

wittyusernamefailed

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 135 posts

• "Well, this is gonna be a wipe"

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

The Fraggles. They have a natural ability to convert natural resources to wealth in a way that minimizes damage to the environment. Their culture of dancing and happiness, will promote good foreign relations, and reduce the need for nuclear arms worldwide.

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

I would have to second a Fraggle nation. Though I don't think others in the thread will be so inviting.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#6    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

View Postand then, on 15 April 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

I posted a topic earlier and as a part of it mentioned my belief that America was the most powerful/greatest nation in history.  Quite a few took issue with that idea.  So I began to wonder, if America is as inept and evil as many seem to believe then who exactly would be best to take on the role of a superpower who's morality would suit your own?  If one nation had to be dominant which nation would you prefer to see guiding the world forward into a new millenium?  Compare this new leader with America and explain why you think it would be better for mankind.

I think the problem is you are comparing current America with nations of earlier times. You would need to look at what those nations did in their times vs what America has accomplished in it's time. 1st...how long has America actually been a superpower? Now compare that to what the Romans, or the Mongols, accomplished. Then look at what inventions, or discoveries has America produced. Now look at other Empires like the Ottomans. It is all how you look at it.

Now to answer your question...I would want Canada as the next Superpower. I love hockey, fishing, and beer!

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#7    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

View Post_Only, on 15 April 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

I would have to second a Fraggle nation. Though I don't think others in the thread will be so inviting.
Fraggles are fine...but the Doozers are the builders.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,637 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 15 April 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

I think the problem is you are comparing current America with nations of earlier times. You would need to look at what those nations did in their times vs what America has accomplished in it's time. 1st...how long has America actually been a superpower? Now compare that to what the Romans, or the Mongols, accomplished. Then look at what inventions, or discoveries has America produced. Now look at other Empires like the Ottomans. It is all how you look at it.

Now to answer your question...I would want Canada as the next Superpower. I love hockey, fishing, and beer!
I agree that among choices, I could get behind Canadians :yes:  
My intent was never to say Americans were inherently better than others, just that in the modern era there is no other nation as powerful a force in military or economic issues.  That is quickly changing because of our military adventurism, financial mismanagement and plain old greed for things we've not earned.

#9    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

I do have a feeling that Canada will be the next super power.  Economics brings power and right now Canada is on fire.  With China soon to be our largest trading power who knows.

To be honest I hope not. Canada would lose its image as a peace loving beaver petting community lol

As far as hockey goes I`m pissed Calgary didn`t even make the playoffs  <_<  however beer sales remaine normal lol

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#10    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

1st...how long has America actually been a superpower?
About 70 years.

Now compare that to what the Romans, or the Mongols, accomplished. Then look at what inventions, or discoveries has America produced.

http://en.wikipedia....ates_inventions

I'd say we're close, and our inventions are cooler.

As for the original question, I don't think there is any one nation who is "best" for mankind. Any country that trumps the U.S. will itself be corrupted with power. The best course of action would be a world council, not too dissimilar to the United Nations, accept, you know, that it works well.

#11    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostAndami, on 15 April 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

About 70 years.

http://en.wikipedia....ates_inventions

I'd say we're close, and our inventions are cooler.

As for the original question, I don't think there is any one nation who is "best" for mankind. Any country that trumps the U.S. will itself be corrupted with power. The best course of action would be a world council, not too dissimilar to the United Nations, accept, you know, that it works well.

That is a pipe dream but hey we can always hope or at best exicute politians for corruption.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#12    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hello and then. It's nice you have opened a thread on this, and hopefully you'll get plenty of useful replies.

Let me tell you one thing first: Just because I do not see the USA (i do not like your country being called 'America', as I find this pretty ignorant towards the other American countries) as the most powerful or greatest (what does 'greatest' even mean in this context? It's very polemic.) nation there ever was, it does not mean I find your country inept, or even evil. I just do not see it that relevant in a world historic context. There were many nations who accomplished far more in very different times, without the mobility available now. There was the Roman Empire, the Mongolian and Islamic Expansion, Alexander's realm, the Ottomans, or the Holy Roman Empire, just to name a few.

As for what other nation should take the USA's spot as THE superpower, which I don't even think you are anymore, as China or the EU, if you see it as a whole (not being as militaristic as the US does not mean being weaker), are very much equal players, I would choose none. A balance of power, i.e. several countries on different continents 'sharing' the power, would be best in my opinion. I do not need one nation forcing their views on th rest, as it usually is, if there is one nation that is by far the strongest. A balance could be a benefit for all of us.  :)  And there are quite a few countries on the rise right now. Just have a look at Brazil!

I hope you could follow me. I typed this on my Phone. Kinda hard to keep track!

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,296 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

It's Australia's turn to be a superpower dangnabbit!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#14    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

As long as you don't force us to play cricket, I'm alright with that.

#15    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

To have only one superpower is dangerous.  When US became a superpower there was always the threat of the Soviet to calms them down.  When the threat disappeared, US continue to climb unruly and then the collapse started.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users