Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Replacing America: Who would You choose?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16    mastodon_2012

mastodon_2012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

I don't want any one nation to be in charge. I think we'd be better off if the whole world made decisions democratically instead of by what a few rich powerful nations want.

#17    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Well if you were to go by human development and living standards Norway is at the top followed by Australia.

Source

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#18    THE INTERPETER

THE INTERPETER

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

I rarely hear anything bad coming out of Canada, and they are dear nieghbors to me, so Canada would be my choice.

#19    Parsip

Parsip

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

This is a pointless question, as America will continue to be the dominant military, economic and cultural power for the foreseeable future. But to answer the question, I would say Britain. I appreciate their efforts to Westernize and modernize some local cultures, sometimes forcefully. ;)

#20    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,883 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Who should replace America as the World Leader? Why should anyone? having one nation overwhelingly dominant is not healthy. What's needed, if one nation is overwhelmingly pwerful, is for others to balance it. Which is what happened during the Cold War (it was, after all, only after 1945 that America did become Overwhelmingly Powerful).  The problem since 1990 or so has been that America has continued to be Overwhelmingly Powerful, while the USSR, which acted as the balance to it, broke up and tried to embrace Capitalism (and in so doing, I think, thoroughly proved Marx's theories that Capitalism works for the benefit of the few but by no means all). Which has left America looking for something to do with this Military Might.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#21    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

There is one major problem with Canada. They are no different than any other country. They are not morally superior. Every year they undermind the global warming confrences even though global warming is an accepted scientific fact (accept in American and Canada obviously...) They do this for one reason...oil...They are a major oil exporter. The US gets the majority of their oil from Canada. They have massive oil reserves. They have more oil than Saudi Arabia. Their economy is booming. The change of Calgary in the last couple of decades can rival that of Dubai. They are interested in self interests, just the same as every other country...

But in response to the OP...I think I would make a pretty sweet leader...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#22    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

and then, on 15 April 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

I posted a topic earlier and as a part of it mentioned my belief that America was the most powerful/greatest nation in history.  Quite a few took issue with that idea.  So I began to wonder, if America is as inept and evil as many seem to believe then who exactly would be best to take on the role of a superpower who's morality would suit your own?  If one nation had to be dominant which nation would you prefer to see guiding the world forward into a new millenium?  Compare this new leader with America and explain why you think it would be better for mankind.
i say no superpower.
one nation does not have to be dominant.

#23    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

and then, on 15 April 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

I posted a topic earlier and as a part of it mentioned my belief that America was the most powerful/greatest nation in history.  Quite a few took issue with that idea.  So I began to wonder, if America is as inept and evil as many seem to believe then who exactly would be best to take on the role of a superpower who's morality would suit your own?  If one nation had to be dominant which nation would you prefer to see guiding the world forward into a new millenium?  Compare this new leader with America and explain why you think it would be better for mankind.

India or Japan.

Both are very modern, and thriving, and Hindu-Buddhist ideals I believe would be optimum for a leading global power.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#24    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,883 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Arbitran, on 15 April 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

India or Japan.

Both are very modern, and thriving, and Hindu-Buddhist ideals I believe would be optimum for a leading global power.
I believe one of those entertained these sort of ambitions between 1941-45...

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#25    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,898 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

So? Japan is a very different country these days.

#26    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

FLOMBIE, on 15 April 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

So? Japan is a very different country these days.
Since the US wrote their constitution...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#27    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,898 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

They were involved in the German constitution (which is not really a constitution) as well. It is a very nice piece of paper. Both countries have changed fundamentally, so I wouldn't see a potential thread there.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 15 April 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#28    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,883 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

i'm being, as usual, tongue in cheek.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#29    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

The next super power is in the east.
China is a major economic hub now.They have an economic district that rivals wall street.

Japan is far too crippled to be a super power,and they are still bound by certain rules of the Geneva convention.
I doubt it could be Japan,despite the nikkei average and the yen being strong.
Their governemnt is also probably even more corrupt than the USA.As is chinas,but half the members of the diet,and up in jail.

India hasn't got the economic clout.
Id say its China.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 15 April 2012 - 09:21 AM.

Miss me?

#30    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,898 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

That's true indeed. And their politics are way to jumpy. They from a new government almost every year.

@747400
:lol: Alright, mate. It's the sunday morning, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users