Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Apollo 18 ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,969 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I've just watched a movie called "Apollo 18",and at the end it gives a website address, www.lunartruth.com, so being curious I went there,its interesting if anyone has time..I know there was no Apollo 18,but a few questions need answering,cheers.....

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,834 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Apollo 18, 19 and 20 never took off :innocent:

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,969 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostErix, on 15 April 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Apollo 18, 19 and 20 never took off :innocent:
I know that man,my last post said that, I said that I just watched a movie called Apollo 18,this was a MOVIE, not reality,but the website is real...

#4    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,397 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Maybe you could tell us what questions you have that need answering...?

Btw... that website won't load for me.

Cz

Edited by Czero 101, 15 April 2012 - 04:34 PM.

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan
"I'm tired of ignorance held up as inspiration, where vicious anti-intellectualism is considered a positive trait, and where uninformed opinion is displayed as fact." - Phil Plait
"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." - H. L. Mencken

#5    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,272 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Wouldn't load for me either. Bar says about:blank.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#6    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,219 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

So, you went to the movies, and saw Apollo 18. And you stayed until the end, watched the credits, and then decided to go to www.lunartruth.com to discover, well, the truth.
But, when you typed in the url you gotÖnothing. Is this part of a conspiracy? Has the site been removed? Is it a plot to generate lots of buzz for the movie? Or did someone forget to put up the site before the movie was released?
Well, if you go to www.alexa.com and type in www.lunartruth.com youíll see this site hasnít ever existed. Put in any other site, and youíll get all kinds of data (including a relative measure of traffic), plus see how long itís been in existence.

Link

Sounds like viral advertising to me.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,969 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 15 April 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Link

Sounds like viral advertising to me.
   No I did not go to the movies,I got it from a movie dvd and the site was ok and opened for me...I cant tell you more than that sorry...

#8    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,397 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 15 April 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

No I did not go to the movies,I got it from a movie dvd and the site was ok and opened for me...I cant tell you more than that sorry...

Well... according to this Trivia entry from IMDb.com:

The prologue text at the beginning of the movie states that the documented footage of the secret Apollo 18 mission was uploaded to the website "www.lunartruth.com". If you type that address into your browser, it redirects you to "www.lunartruth.org" and it displays a page which states that "This website was forcibly censored. It's contents can be seen in the film. DISCOVER THE TRUTH." Also on that page, very well-hidden, is a small white dot that, if clicked on, will send you to the website missioncontrolblog.org - a mock website which was created to "Uncover the truth about the Apollo missions".

None of the the websites listed above seem to exist now, but it sounds like they were just spoof sites to begin with.

Interesting (or maybe irrelevant) that it was apparently mentioned at the beginning of the movie, not the end as the OP suggested.

View Postspud the mackem, on 15 April 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

I know there was no Apollo 18,but a few questions need answering,cheers.....

Any chance we're going to get to those questions you say need answering anytime soon...?

Cz

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan
"I'm tired of ignorance held up as inspiration, where vicious anti-intellectualism is considered a positive trait, and where uninformed opinion is displayed as fact." - Phil Plait
"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." - H. L. Mencken

#9    Mikeinpgh

Mikeinpgh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Why do people have to be mean??

I think it was a pretty bad movie but the story is very interesting. I read the website after the movie. It makes you think. I don't know the historical facts about the US and Russian's space program working together during the cold war. If they did, there would have to be a very good reason.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostMikeinpgh, on 16 April 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

I think it was a pretty bad movie but the story is very interesting. I read the website after the movie. It makes you think. I don't know the historical facts about the US and Russian's space program working together during the cold war. If they did, there would have to be a very good reason.

Who's being mean?  I see nothing in this thread that even begins to rise to the level of meanness.

Is asking a question considered mean now?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#11    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,654 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostMikeinpgh, on 16 April 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

There was some - limited - cooperation between the two space agencies in the later days of the cold war...  Most specifically during the Apollo-Soyuez (sp) missions... Also there was undoubtedly some sharing of data and general info between individual scientists and engineers, but little on a 'departmental' scale...  But during the 50's and 60's the two agencies were basically locked in a massive game of one-upmanship... which actually caused each organisation to achieve much more than they would have if they had 'co-operated' IMO...

#12    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,219 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostTaun, on 16 April 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

But during the 50's and 60's the two agencies were basically locked in a massive game of one-upmanship... which actually caused each organisation to achieve much more than they would have if they had 'co-operated' IMO...

Yeah, nothing like a little competition to foster excellence. ;)

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#13    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,131 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 16 April 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

Yeah, nothing like a little competition to foster excellence. ;)
Indded. And now what do they have to do...? Hitch a ride on Soyuz when they can.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#14    Selevon

Selevon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

I had a look at lunar truth as well, and the whole site reeked of viral advertising, like the site put up for the 2012 movie (forget the site atm, sorry). Most likely just wanted to get the movie lots of hype ;)

#15    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,577 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Man do we Need Mid back !

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users