Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

James Randi on cold fusion and Carl Sagan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

James Randi on cold fusion and Carl Sagan
Posted Image
Click here to watch video - 09:06s

James Randi discusses the latest news about cold fusion on this episode of his regular podcast.

#2    JamesBe1

JamesBe1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

I used to have some respect for James Randi from when he was debunking magic tricks.  But after watching this lame shilling attempt, I don't any more.  
Some day, I think his opinion on this topic will be looked back at with a humorous chuckle, and relegated to the trashbin of history.

#3    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostJamesBe1, on 15 April 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

I used to have some respect for James Randi from when he was debunking magic tricks.  But after watching this lame shilling attempt, I don't any more.  
Some day, I think his opinion on this topic will be looked back at with a humorous chuckle, and relegated to the trashbin of history.

I suspect you never actually watched the vid. as he speaks perfect sense throughout. No doubt he will as you say be relegated to the trash bin of history, but only by the very people (scammers) he exposes.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 15 April 2012 - 07:15 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#4    JamesBe1

JamesBe1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 15 April 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

I suspect you never actually watched the vid. as he speaks perfect sense throughout. No doubt he will as you say be relegated to the trash bin of history, but only by the very people (scammers) he exposes.

No, I watched the entire video from beginning to end.  I even watched a couple of selected portions more than once.

James Randi has exposed numerous hoaxers and scammers over the years, no doubt about that.  It's just that, on this point, he is absolutely flat out wrong.  The history of cold fusion is full of suppression and naysayers.  But the evidence (if you care to research it yourself) has pretty much moved from being highly probable, to being almost an absolute certainty (I paraphrase Eugene Mallove there).

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who are hungry and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
-- Dwight Eisenhower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users