Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Why Does GOD Exist?/

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,534 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hey All, It's been a while since i've been on this site. Been a member since 2003. I actually spent most of my time in the History section. But, as a born and raised Catholic, first communion, and my confirmation all being achieved,.... I came across a question tonight online with the simple question.. "Why DOES GOD EXIST"? I know its a very debatable question (obviously) but im just curious to know what some of your perspectives are. For example, WE know why he "EXISTS" (we all have our own conclusions, that believe) but who created him? Where did he come from? I feel like someone always answers to someone?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,688 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

From my POV God is eternal. Out side of time and space. As hard as that is to conceive, when I think about, it really cant go any other way. At the very least something has always been. And what ever that eternal something is, all things came from it, or him. There never could have been a time of nothingness, cause if that were so, how could anything ever be? From our limited understanding, 0+0=0 every time, with out fail. Not only that but what ever or who ever that eternal something is, it must also have willed all we see into existance.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#3    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I think the more important question that should be asked is not "why", but rather simply, "does a god exist?".

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,243 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine.  The ultimate in willfulness.  That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything? Really?  I believe Atheism is a "shake of the fist" to add emphasis to that conceit.  Not that I blame Atheists for wanting proof.  But if a night sky or the complexity of the human body and mind aren't enough then they could never be satisfied short of God appearing in person.  They also can feel they've claimed the high ground in the discussion because of the stupid, silly and just fruitless things that have been done in the name of world religion.  I have NO IDEA why God exists.  He is sovereign and He'll let me know what I need to know as I need to know it.  And as much as that attitude mystifies or even angers some people, I'm completely okay with it.  But that's just me.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,726 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 15 April 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

Hey All, It's been a while since i've been on this site. Been a member since 2003. I actually spent most of my time in the History section. But, as a born and raised Catholic, first communion, and my confirmation all being achieved,.... I came across a question tonight online with the simple question.. "Why DOES GOD EXIST"? I know its a very debatable question (obviously) but im just curious to know what some of your perspectives are. For example, WE know why he "EXISTS" (we all have our own conclusions, that believe) but who created him? Where did he come from? I feel like someone always answers to someone?
Simple. All informational constructs through evolution evenchually lead to transcendent concousness. All there has to be is something, then evenchually universal concousness must evolve. Of course with infinity, this has occured infinantly long ago and is in a state of continual evolution. There must be a great spirit. If there is not, there will be. If there will be, most likely there already was one.

Edited by Seeker79, 15 April 2012 - 11:48 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,534 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

But where did that spirit come from?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#7    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Postand then, on 15 April 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine.  The ultimate in willfulness.  That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything? Really?  I believe Atheism is a "shake of the fist" to add emphasis to that conceit.

I think it more conceited of us to believe that we are special enough to have warranted creation and esteem by a god. Just about all religions are incredibly self-centered in that they place man in the center of the universe; the ultimate preoccupation of some omnipotent and omniscient being. It is the religious viewpoint, not the atheistic one, which considers us to be the pinnacle of existence. Really, we're insignificant on a cosmic scale.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#8    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,573 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine.  The ultimate in willfulness.  That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything?

I can't agree with this at all. I think the bolded part of your post there reflects what a lot of religious people think. That humans are "the sum of everything" and the raison d'etre of the universe. It is absolutely incorrect to say that a disbelief in god would be associated with this type of thinking.

I can't speak for all, but my view of humans is that we occupy an almost infinitesimally small part of the cosmos, for an almost infinitesimally small period of time, and that our existence is entirely inconsequential in the whole scheme of things. And I don't think that's a bleak and hopeless view because, whilst we're here, our individual and collective existence is what we should all value and make the most of. The universe will keep chugging along long after we've gone,just as it did before we arrived on the scene.

I think that's about as far from conceit as you can get. But that's just me.

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,243 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 16 April 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

I can't agree with this at all. I think the bolded part of your post there reflects what a lot of religious people think. That humans are "the sum of everything" and the raison d'etre of the universe. It is absolutely incorrect to say that a disbelief in god would be associated with this type of thinking.

I can't speak for all, but my view of humans is that we occupy an almost infinitesimally small part of the cosmos, for an almost infinitesimally small period of time, and that our existence is entirely inconsequential in the whole scheme of things. And I don't think that's a bleak and hopeless view because, whilst we're here, our individual and collective existence is what we should all value and make the most of. The universe will keep chugging along long after we've gone,just as it did before we arrived on the scene.

I think that's about as far from conceit as you can get. But that's just me.
My point was that if we do not accept the existence of a Creator, then we essentially are, all that there is.  A random occurrence without meaning that came and went no matter how much we try to enjoy or create.  I don't believe that.  I believe that those who have not come to faith see no need for God and busy themselves with reinventing every design and emotion that has been here since the first man awakened.  And to me that is a conceit.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#10    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Why do WE exist? :blink:

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#11    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostZaraKitty, on 16 April 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Why do WE exist? :blink:

The earth needed plastic, didn't know how to make it, needed us.

Heh, rest in peace George Carlin.   :w00t:

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#12    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine.  The ultimate in willfulness.  That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything? Really?  I believe Atheism is a "shake of the fist" to add emphasis to that conceit.  Not that I blame Atheists for wanting proof.  But if a night sky or the complexity of the human body and mind aren't enough then they could never be satisfied short of God appearing in person.  They also can feel they've claimed the high ground in the discussion because of the stupid, silly and just fruitless things that have been done in the name of world religion.  I have NO IDEA why God exists.  He is sovereign and He'll let me know what I need to know as I need to know it.  And as much as that attitude mystifies or even angers some people, I'm completely okay with it.  But that's just me.
While it is complex, I see no evidence of intelligent design. In fact, one fine piece of evidence to suggest the contrary of intelligent design is the layout of the laryngeal nerve.

Edited by Alienated Being, 16 April 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#13    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

View Postand then, on 16 April 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

My point was that if we do not accept the existence of a Creator, then we essentially are, all that there is.

This is a very anthropocentric view. If there is no creator, we are still and incredibly small part of all that there is. We're far outnumbered and will be far outlived, on a species level, by insects on this planet. If we go extinct, evolution and life on Earth will continue. And of course the Earth is only an incredibly small part of the universe and probably of life in the universe.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#14    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,726 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 16 April 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

But where did that spirit come from?
Evolution.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#15    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,624 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

o

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users