Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Does GOD Exist?/

LucidElement

Hey All, It's been a while since i've been on this site. Been a member since 2003. I actually spent most of my time in the History section. But, as a born and raised Catholic, first communion, and my confirmation all being achieved,.... I came across a question tonight online with the simple question.. "Why DOES GOD EXIST"? I know its a very debatable question (obviously) but im just curious to know what some of your perspectives are. For example, WE know why he "EXISTS" (we all have our own conclusions, that believe) but who created him? Where did he come from? I feel like someone always answers to someone?

From my POV God is eternal. Out side of time and space. As hard as that is to conceive, when I think about, it really cant go any other way. At the very least something has always been. And what ever that eternal something is, all things came from it, or him. There never could have been a time of nothingness, cause if that were so, how could anything ever be? From our limited understanding, 0+0=0 every time, with out fail. Not only that but what ever or who ever that eternal something is, it must also have willed all we see into existance.

• Like 1

I think the more important question that should be asked is not "why", but rather simply, "does a god exist?".

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine. The ultimate in willfulness. That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything? Really? I believe Atheism is a "shake of the fist" to add emphasis to that conceit. Not that I blame Atheists for wanting proof. But if a night sky or the complexity of the human body and mind aren't enough then they could never be satisfied short of God appearing in person. They also can feel they've claimed the high ground in the discussion because of the stupid, silly and just fruitless things that have been done in the name of world religion. I have NO IDEA why God exists. He is sovereign and He'll let me know what I need to know as I need to know it. And as much as that attitude mystifies or even angers some people, I'm completely okay with it. But that's just me.

Hey All, It's been a while since i've been on this site. Been a member since 2003. I actually spent most of my time in the History section. But, as a born and raised Catholic, first communion, and my confirmation all being achieved,.... I came across a question tonight online with the simple question.. "Why DOES GOD EXIST"? I know its a very debatable question (obviously) but im just curious to know what some of your perspectives are. For example, WE know why he "EXISTS" (we all have our own conclusions, that believe) but who created him? Where did he come from? I feel like someone always answers to someone?

Simple. All informational constructs through evolution evenchually lead to transcendent concousness. All there has to be is something, then evenchually universal concousness must evolve. Of course with infinity, this has occured infinantly long ago and is in a state of continual evolution. There must be a great spirit. If there is not, there will be. If there will be, most likely there already was one.

Edited by Seeker79

But where did that spirit come from?

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine. The ultimate in willfulness. That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything? Really? I believe Atheism is a "shake of the fist" to add emphasis to that conceit.

I think it more conceited of us to believe that we are special enough to have warranted creation and esteem by a god. Just about all religions are incredibly self-centered in that they place man in the center of the universe; the ultimate preoccupation of some omnipotent and omniscient being. It is the religious viewpoint, not the atheistic one, which considers us to be the pinnacle of existence. Really, we're insignificant on a cosmic scale.

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine. The ultimate in willfulness. That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything?

I can't agree with this at all. I think the bolded part of your post there reflects what a lot of religious people think. That humans are "the sum of everything" and the raison d'etre of the universe. It is absolutely incorrect to say that a disbelief in god would be associated with this type of thinking.

I can't speak for all, but my view of humans is that we occupy an almost infinitesimally small part of the cosmos, for an almost infinitesimally small period of time, and that our existence is entirely inconsequential in the whole scheme of things. And I don't think that's a bleak and hopeless view because, whilst we're here, our individual and collective existence is what we should all value and make the most of. The universe will keep chugging along long after we've gone,just as it did before we arrived on the scene.

I think that's about as far from conceit as you can get. But that's just me.

I can't agree with this at all. I think the bolded part of your post there reflects what a lot of religious people think. That humans are "the sum of everything" and the raison d'etre of the universe. It is absolutely incorrect to say that a disbelief in god would be associated with this type of thinking.

I can't speak for all, but my view of humans is that we occupy an almost infinitesimally small part of the cosmos, for an almost infinitesimally small period of time, and that our existence is entirely inconsequential in the whole scheme of things. And I don't think that's a bleak and hopeless view because, whilst we're here, our individual and collective existence is what we should all value and make the most of. The universe will keep chugging along long after we've gone,just as it did before we arrived on the scene.

I think that's about as far from conceit as you can get. But that's just me.

My point was that if we do not accept the existence of a Creator, then we essentially are, all that there is. A random occurrence without meaning that came and went no matter how much we try to enjoy or create. I don't believe that. I believe that those who have not come to faith see no need for God and busy themselves with reinventing every design and emotion that has been here since the first man awakened. And to me that is a conceit.

Why do WE exist? :blink:

The earth needed plastic, didn't know how to make it, needed us.

Heh, rest in peace George Carlin. :w00t:

I think God exists because to assume there is no Creator is the greatest conceit a man can imagine. The ultimate in willfulness. That we, imperfect and grasping at answers as we are, could be the sum of everything? Really? I believe Atheism is a "shake of the fist" to add emphasis to that conceit. Not that I blame Atheists for wanting proof. But if a night sky or the complexity of the human body and mind aren't enough then they could never be satisfied short of God appearing in person. They also can feel they've claimed the high ground in the discussion because of the stupid, silly and just fruitless things that have been done in the name of world religion. I have NO IDEA why God exists. He is sovereign and He'll let me know what I need to know as I need to know it. And as much as that attitude mystifies or even angers some people, I'm completely okay with it. But that's just me.

While it is complex, I see no evidence of intelligent design. In fact, one fine piece of evidence to suggest the contrary of intelligent design is the layout of the laryngeal nerve.

Edited by Alienated Being

My point was that if we do not accept the existence of a Creator, then we essentially are, all that there is.

This is a very anthropocentric view. If there is no creator, we are still and incredibly small part of all that there is. We're far outnumbered and will be far outlived, on a species level, by insects on this planet. If we go extinct, evolution and life on Earth will continue. And of course the Earth is only an incredibly small part of the universe and probably of life in the universe.

But where did that spirit come from?

Evolution.

The earth needed plastic, didn't know how to make it, needed us.

Heh, rest in peace George Carlin. :w00t:

I second that!

Your question is analogous to another question of debatable merit - "Why does the universe exist?"

I say these are questions of debatable merit because both presume some purpose to the existence of something which (in both cases) is alleged to have an eternal existence. If there is such a thing as 'eternal existence', then whatever has that as a property of itself can have no 'purpose' in existing.

In the case of a conscious entity, such as an eternal god, we might be able to point to some temporary purpose for some duration of it's existence - but that purpose would be self-defined and cannot be said to be the 'purpose' for the existence of such a being.

Funny, I think believing in a god is the ultimate conceit because it leads one to believe they are somehow better and divinely created. The night sky and the human body are only proof of the night sky and the human body, so that is really not a good analogy.

My point was that if we do not accept the existence of a Creator, then we essentially are, all that there is. A random occurrence without meaning that came and went no matter how much we try to enjoy or create. I don't believe that. I believe that those who have not come to faith see no need for God and busy themselves with reinventing every design and emotion that has been here since the first man awakened. And to me that is a conceit.

I am sorry, that way is no better. It is not conceited to be curious and inventive, it is human nature.

After reading all your replies, some are very good. I realize that those who believe dont need an explanation, and those that dont believe in Evolution. But im just trying to figure out a couple ideas on HOW God came to Exist. Its kind of like the last name situation. Someone made up a last name years and years and years ago, from there we pass our name down. But someone started the first sequence of last names... However, I just want to see your ideas on why God Exists.

• 2 weeks later...

We will never know the answer to that question. God made our minds finite so that we wouldn't know these mysteries. Jesus Christ is our lord and savior, and one needs to live in his word, that's ALL I'm concerned about. God himself put us in a dimension of time and space, and God is outside of that dimension, so we will never understand a lot of things.

It's funny how scientists insist that evolution is real, even though the fossil record shows incredibly small amounts of evidence, and can they explain the cambrian explosion away??

There is scientific proof of God's existence. In the bible itself it speaks of washing your hands in running water, the earth "hanging on nothing", the universe expanding, blood being what supports life, and numerous other topics, waaaaaaaay before science acknowledged any of these. Repent now to Jesus Christ the lord and savior or forever be lost.

We will never know the answer to that question. God made our minds finite so that we wouldn't know these mysteries. Jesus Christ is our lord and savior, and one needs to live in his word, that's ALL I'm concerned about. God himself put us in a dimension of time and space, and God is outside of that dimension, so we will never understand a lot of things.

For me, this is a key to understanding. God exists outside of our time and space existence, and we cannot fully grasp that....yet. I think that our ultimate spiritual destiny will result in our understanding more of how it works.

As for why God exists (this question being directed at believers, for it assumes the existence of God), I don't think we can comprehend that yet either. I've heard it said that God has to exist because He is the ultimate supreme being, but I find that to be untenable, almost a cop-out.

It's funny how scientists insist that evolution is real, even though the fossil record shows incredibly small amounts of evidence, and can they explain the cambrian explosion away??

There is scientific proof of God's existence. In the bible itself it speaks of washing your hands in running water, the earth "hanging on nothing", the universe expanding, blood being what supports life, and numerous other topics, waaaaaaaay before science acknowledged any of these. Repent now to Jesus Christ the lord and savior or forever be lost.

It's a shame that what you wrote above is ALL you are concerned about.

If you studied evolution as much as you appear to study that fictional novel called the bible, you would understand just how much evidence there is to support evolution.

Also, there is NO evidence that your god, or any other god exists. Your god did NOT write the bible. Man did. (once he had evolved siufficiently well to be able to write!)

Well, it looks like I am gong to be lost forever, as I have absolutely nothing to repent :)

• Like 1

God exists for those that believe in him because they have evolved a need for him through Natural Selection. He would not need to have come from anywhere as he would have existed forever.

Only humans need to have a beginning and an end as they don't seem to be able to handle existence without them. Strange.

Which came first - something or nothing? Something always comes first because for there to be no thing there has to have been a thing in the first place for us to refer to.

Energy and matter are the same thing - this is proven. (E=mc2). Energy/Matter is the thing that has always existed.

Thus Energy = God and for those of you who believe in God, Divine energy = God.

Yes they can. But that has nothing to do with this thread.

• Like 1