Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Four Stages of Spiritual Development

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

I don't know, and Piaget isn't around to ask. Maybe the mind/body/socialization has to play catch up. What do you think? Do you think there are those who at birth went to stage 4, or maybe we're all born at stage 4, lose that awareness, then go through the first 3 stages to come back to stage 4 with all that experience behind it? As I'm typing, this reminds me of the story of Eden, except it ends with a return to the garden with full knowledge.

#17    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,190 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostBeany, on 19 April 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

I don't know, and Piaget isn't around to ask. Maybe the mind/body/socialization has to play catch up. What do you think? Do you think there are those who at birth went to stage 4, or maybe we're all born at stage 4, lose that awareness, then go through the first 3 stages to come back to stage 4 with all that experience behind it? As I'm typing, this reminds me of the story of Eden, except it ends with a return to the garden with full knowledge.
I think stage 4 thinking can be taught. If parents teach their children to think like that it can stick.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#18    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 19 April 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

I think stage 4 thinking can be taught. If parents teach their children to think like that it can stick.

I sometimes think we are all born stage IV and then forget. Anyone familiar with the book Mister God, This Is Anna?

http://en.wikipedia....d,_This_Is_Anna

Its mentioned in the article and describes a seven year-old girl already well into Stage IV, despite a presumably chaotic early childhood.
Opening sentence:
The difference from a person and an angel is easy. Most of an angel is in the inside and most of a person is on the outside. :blush:

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#19    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,447 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

While Bucke in "Cosmic Consciousness" outlined three forms of consciousness ending with human form, there are obviously many stages within human consciousness. he explains his own expereince withthe higher levels of cosmic consciousness. While i have read mny grading schemes of consciousness, I like this one as a summary, because it fits my own experience .

http://www.anhglobal.org/en/node/591

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#20    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I think the stages are helpful in understanding development, but they aren't rules or laws, just a way of organizing or cataloguing. I met a 10 year old girl last week that's probably at stage 5 or 6. Either that, or she was channeling!

#21    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,597 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 20 April 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

While Bucke in "Cosmic Consciousness" outlined three forms of consciousness ending with human form, there are obviously many stages within human consciousness. he explains his own expereince withthe higher levels of cosmic consciousness. While i have read mny grading schemes of consciousness, I like this one as a summary, because it fits my own experience .

http://www.anhglobal.org/en/node/591
Thank you for the article Mr. Walker. It was a superb explanation and deepened my understanding. C.oincidentally, Ive just finished reading Jesus.

G.Clinton

#22    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

That is a great link. I copied the quote from T.S. Eliot:

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

For me this is the biblical story of Eden, a beautiful metaphor of life's journey. Who knew Eliot could go from this: "I should have been a pair of ragged claws Scuttling across the floors of silent seas" to that? From despair to ecstasy, the human condition. As for myself, I wouldn't choose to change a minute or my journey, for if I did, I wouldn't be standing where I am now. My deepest gratitude to Mr. Walker, Jugoso, and Seeker, for helping me on my journey and reminding me of who I am. I don't know your faces, but the heart is familiar.

#23    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,597 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostBeany, on 21 April 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

That is a great link. I copied the quote from T.S. Eliot:

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

For me this is the biblical story of Eden, a beautiful metaphor of life's journey. Who knew Eliot could go from this: "I should have been a pair of ragged claws Scuttling across the floors of silent seas" to that? From despair to ecstasy, the human condition. As for myself, I wouldn't choose to change a minute or my journey, for if I did, I wouldn't be standing where I am now. My deepest gratitude to Mr. Walker, Jugoso, and Seeker, for helping me on my journey and reminding me of who I am. I don't know your faces, but the heart is familiar.
Beautiful quote. Very comforting. Thanks for high-lighting it Beany. It is certinly an amazing journey! Im very thankful.

G.Clinton

#24    PBnJ_Lover

PBnJ_Lover

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postjugoso, on 15 April 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

What are your personal thoughts on the validity of these four stages?

I view part of myself in stage II, stage III and stage IV.  Does this make the stages invalid in my mind?  Well, did Mr. Peck thought that we would progress from stage I to II to III to IV and then not regress at all.  Do you know if that was his intention?

------------------------------------------------
There is another old poet whose name I do not now remember who said, "Truth is the daughter of Time."
~Abraham Lincoln

Spirituality Forums

#25    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I don't know what his thoughts were about regressing, but it doesn't seem likely that we could unlearn some things. We can deny them, invalidate them, but not unlearn them. And if we're denying or invalidating, we are aware of their existence. Stage 4 I think comes with great responsibility, and one is always wise to consciously decide to accept the responsibility. Regression maybe due to a catastrophic change in physical health, like brain damage, stroke, etc., but not volitional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users