Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Was Jesus a Buddhist monk?


  • Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hello Umers,

In the past when Lama dies Buddhist monks looks for the sign in the sky for reincarnation of Lama. When they find reincanated Lama then they took that child and teach him -at ages where he could be thought properly.
Were Biblical Magi buddhists monks? So is Jesus raised in India?
We dont know much about Jesus early life except gnostic documents.

Nicolaj Notovič  Russian Cossack officer ,spy and journalist, studied Buddhism in Tibet and wrote book: Unknown life of Jesus.
In his book he said that Buddist at Tibet wrote that "divine child is born in Judea-Isa .Isa came to India at age 14 and study Buddhism and leave at age of 29 and set on the way to Jerusalem. Where he teach people and later was killed." In short.
http://en.wikipedia....colas_Notovitch

As I heard Buddha also healed people,walk on water,feed mass of hungry people...so...

Also there are legends among people in India about Jusasa  who was sheperd and healer.(as I heard)(?)

Edited by Melo, 15 April 2012 - 10:02 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 17,764 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

You do realize, Melo, that this  theory entirely refutes the gospel message?  It is Christ's sacrificial death and resurrection that saves us from eternal damnation when we accept that He was who He said He was.  If He did not die on the cross, which is the same message Muslims teach, then Christianity would all be based on a lie.  With the exception of John, every other disciple of Jesus died horrible deaths spreading the message that the messiah had come.  Would you die a very painful and humiliating death for something you knew was a lie?  Perhaps Jesus was in India during His youth, it's possible.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 15,192 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

This has been something that's come up a lot over the years, especially once people moved on from viewing Indian and Chinese belief systems as "heathen gibberish".
Assuming that you accept Jesus was a real person (which as a Catholic I do) then you can either accept that he is as the Gospels say he was (Son of God) and thus his philosophies have a divine or at least a semi-divine origin or that he was as human as you and I and his philosophies were born of a grand world tour sometime between the ages of 6 and 30. There is a third ground (divine but picked up philosophies after going walkabout) which while obviously straddling both seems in my mind to devalue his divinity somewhat while playing up his humanity. Now that's not a bad thing, and the idea of Jesus studying with Lamas and Confuciusians and so on is intriguing and probably exactly what he was doing in the undocumented years of his life (or at least part of those undocumented years, given that he was called a carpenter which meant he must have piled that trade for at least some years).


But it misses the point in the same way the Mormon belief that he died, got better and then went to America does. He died, he resurrected and then went to Heaven. The death and Resurrection are rather important parts of the theology/mythology of Christ, as is his going to Heaven afterwards.

Edited by Wearer of Hats, 15 April 2012 - 09:46 PM.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Postand then, on 15 April 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

You do realize, Melo, that this  theory entirely refutes the gospel message?  It is Christ's sacrificial death and resurrection that saves us from eternal damnation when we accept that He was who He said He was.  If He did not die on the cross, which is the same message Muslims teach, then Christianity would all be based on a lie.  With the exception of John, every other disciple of Jesus died horrible deaths spreading the message that the messiah had come.  Would you die a very painful and humiliating death for something you knew was a lie?  Perhaps Jesus was in India during His youth, it's possible.
What Muslim teach that He didnt died on cross?
Please do tell about deaths of disciples?

If he died or didnt die on cross is not crucial to the thread. I stated that because of going debate and I tried to connect Jesus and India.
Maybe he is russurected and went in India to found Church of India...Some connect Heaven and Himalayas.

Edited by Melo, 15 April 2012 - 10:05 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#5    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Its interesting that Buddha also walked on water and even split water so he can walk on dry land.
I wonder what Pope , chatolic church in general thinks on people like Buddha?
Was he a saint too?

Buddha done some miracles as Jesus so who can say which teachings are we should look upon?


Anyway, interesting thing Nikolaj wrote.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#6    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

For the interests of thread I edited my 1st post.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

also both have Aureola around their heads in art.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#8    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

    Warrior of Light

  • Banned
  • 4,200 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Serbia

  • .....This moment contains all moments.....

    ...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hmm I saw this book in a nearby book store, "Jesus lived in India: The unknown life of Jesus Christ". I think it's the same book you describe OP. I didn't read it, so I cant make any assessments. But I always found interesting the Christ = kṛṣṇa (Krishna) similarity :)

Edited by SolarPlexus, 16 April 2012 - 12:02 AM.

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland


#9    Otharus

Otharus

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,400 posts
  • Joined:20 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Just watch this BBC doco.



#10    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 15 April 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

This has been something that's come up a lot over the years, especially once people moved on from viewing Indian and Chinese belief systems as "heathen gibberish".
Assuming that you accept Jesus was a real person (which as a Catholic I do) then you can either accept that he is as the Gospels say he was (Son of God) and thus his philosophies have a divine or at least a semi-divine origin or that he was as human as you and I and his philosophies were born of a grand world tour sometime between the ages of 6 and 30. There is a third ground (divine but picked up philosophies after going walkabout) which while obviously straddling both seems in my mind to devalue his divinity somewhat while playing up his humanity. Now that's not a bad thing, and the idea of Jesus studying with Lamas and Confuciusians and so on is intriguing and probably exactly what he was doing in the undocumented years of his life (or at least part of those undocumented years, given that he was called a carpenter which meant he must have piled that trade for at least some years).


But it misses the point in the same way the Mormon belief that he died, got better and then went to America does. He died, he resurrected and then went to Heaven. The death and Resurrection are rather important parts of the theology/mythology of Christ, as is his going to Heaven afterwards.


Wearer of Hat there are many gospels besides the canonic ones that have been dismissed and burned simply because they conflicted with the Pauline tradition and ^perception.  Even the gospel of James (albeit a saint in the catholic imagery system) allegedly the brother of JC was dismissed because he condemned the implication of gentils in the religion.  JC was talking to Hebrews and created a new way of thinking for Hebrews.  Anything else was manipulation.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

A Zen Buddhist ,according to the Japanese.
http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/5326614.stm

Ya can't make this stuff up.
http://www.thiaoouba.com/tomb.htm

Miss me?

#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,408 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostMelo, on 15 April 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hello Umers,

In the past when Lama dies Buddhist monks looks for the sign in the sky for reincarnation of Lama. When they find reincanated Lama then they took that child and teach him -at ages where he could be thought properly.
Were Biblical Magi buddhists monks? So is Jesus raised in India?
We dont know much about Jesus early life except gnostic documents.

Nicolaj Notovič  Russian Cossack officer ,spy and journalist, studied Buddhism in Tibet and wrote book: Unknown life of Jesus.
In his book he said that Buddist at Tibet wrote that "divine child is born in Judea-Isa .Isa came to India at age 14 and study Buddhism and leave at age of 29 and set on the way to Jerusalem. Where he teach people and later was killed." In short.
http://en.wikipedia....colas_Notovitch

As I heard Buddha also healed people,walk on water,feed mass of hungry people...so...

Also there are legends among people in India about Jusasa  who was sheperd and healer.(as I heard)(?)

Do buddhist monks today look outside people of their own ethnicity when seeking to find the reincarnation of the lama?

If not (and they don't) then why would we presume they looked outside people of their own ethnicity just once, some 2,000 years ago?

The trope of "foreign Jesus" has sprung up as Christianity spread across the world. This does not mean that Jesus (if such a figure existed) went on a world tour learning various religions and philosophies. It only means that the trope is pervasive and many different peoples readily identify with it.

I have not researched the various legends about a Jesus figure in cultures other than the Hebrew, but I'm willing to bet we would find they either start around the time of the introduction of Christianity to that culture, or take on a Christian slant at that time. Nonetheless, the "wise teacher" (or "divine child") is a common theme in virtually all mythologies. Too much has been made of this from the perspective of one religion attempting to validate their particular mythology by linking some of the various stories told.

Edited by Leonardo, 16 April 2012 - 06:47 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 15,192 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostParacelse, on 16 April 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

Wearer of Hat there are many gospels besides the canonic ones that have been dismissed and burned simply because they conflicted with the Pauline tradition and ^perception.  Even the gospel of James (albeit a saint in the catholic imagery system) allegedly the brother of JC was dismissed because he condemned the implication of gentils in the religion.  JC was talking to Hebrews and created a new way of thinking for Hebrews.  Anything else was manipulation.
I can't think of any of the Apophrica that denies the divinity of Christ though. One was redacted because they didn't like the stories of infant Jesus being a brat for example.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 16 April 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I can't think of any of the Apophrica that denies the divinity of Christ though. One was redacted because they didn't like the stories of infant Jesus being a brat for example.
Actually if you reread history, divinity of JC was established after the council of Nicea in 325 CE.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#15    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 17,764 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostMelo, on 15 April 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

What Muslim teach that He didnt died on cross?
Please do tell about deaths of disciples?

If he died or didnt die on cross is not crucial to the thread. I stated that because of going debate and I tried to connect Jesus and India.
Maybe he is russurected and went in India to found Church of India...Some connect Heaven and Himalayas.
In Islam the tradition about Jesus (Issa)is that he survived the cross and was taken to heaven alive.  He is expected to return in the last days to Damascus.  He will reject Christians and say that he never told anyone he was the son of god.  He will pray "after" Mahdi and will kill all Jews and Christians who will not convert to the true religion of Islam.

The disciples all died as martyrs except John:
http://poptop.hyperm...et/howdied.html

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users