Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Was Jesus a Buddhist monk?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#91    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,233 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 20 October 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

You don't need to research the claims of one individual to establish the connections,just compare the teaching of christ as asserted by the new testament to the teaching of Yahweh in the old testament and to the teaching of Buddhism and Vedic hinduism(especially Nirguna Brhman) and you will be able to see a connection.
Marcenious did have a point that the God of the new testament is different from the God potrayed in the old testament.

"Kingdom of God is within you"-Chritianity (and hence God is within you?)
"God is manifest in all of us"-Hinduism
OK shhh don't spread this around to much but I know the secret to this mystery. I am truly in the know here and I want to let you in on it.....
the secret to why most religions are similar and especially Buddhism and Christianity are so similar..... because good philosophy is good philosophy and anyone with a heart or half a brain and time to think it over will come to a similar understanding about how to be a good person and live a good life. So there you have it. Good philosophy is simply good philosophy. Now your in the know.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch, 23 October 2012 - 05:07 AM.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#92    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 23 October 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

OK shhh don't spread this around to much but I know the secret to this mystery. I am truly in the know here and I want to let you in on it.....
the secret to why most religions are similar and especially Buddhism and Christianity are so similar..... because good philosophy is good philosophy and anyone with a heart or half a brain and time to think it over will come to a similar understanding about how to be a good person and live a good life. So there you have it. Good philosophy is simply good philosophy. Now your in the know.
Good philosophy is defined by concepts introduced by the philosophy,there are many different good philosophies in  the world and they are not all revolving around the same concepts.Buddhism derives a majority of it's philosophy from the Nirguna Brhman concept in the Rig veda.Nirguna Brhman clearly states that God is pantheistic and singular and the best way to reach enlightenment for intellectuals can be through meditation and search for knowledge,doesn't emphasize on any idol worship or rituals and leaves it for common people as way to demonstrate their devotion (Sahguna Brhmana).

#93    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,233 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

Lmao. OK harsh. Live a good life, treat others well, forgive injustices, don't pass judgment on another, I could go on and on why I think religions are similar and why. What it boils down to though is these are answers to guide people in theright direction to live a good fruitful life. In no way does this mean Jesus learned it from somewhere/someone specific.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#94    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 23 October 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

Lmao. OK harsh. Live a good life, treat others well, forgive injustices, don't pass judgment on another, I could go on and on why I think religions are similar and why. What it boils down to though is these are answers to guide people in theright direction to live a good fruitful life. In no way does this mean Jesus learned it from somewhere/someone specific.
Whats your view on ISLAM-the religion of peace.http://alisina.org/ (incase you wan't to read up).
Thou shall not steal (without acknowledging atleast).

#95    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 19 October 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Anyway, I prefer the theory that he was in Egypt during those years. ?
I think that is possible, as he was supposedly taken there as a child, and one could assume that his parents made friends or had family (of some kind) there. It is not too much to expect he got some education in Egypt or in Roman Mesopotamia. Though I suspect since he was training to be a Rabbi, he likely did not travel very long or very far, as that training started when they were a boy and was constant till they became a grown adult.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#96    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 23 October 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

Whats your view on ISLAM-the religion of peace.http://alisina.org/ (incase you wan't to read up).
Thou shall not steal (without acknowledging atleast).
I think it is not a religion of peace, unless you purposefully ignore that later revelation supercedes earlier revelations. If you ignore that, then earlier peaceful traditions and passages can be implemented, and Muslims can live side by side with everyone else. But if you don't ignore that later passages supercede and go with those later passages, then Islam demands that any method, including, but not limited, to war, MUST be used to convert the Infidels and other Peoples of the Book. MUST. So, all these Muslims that I work with here at Intel, who are not bowing toward Mecca each day, or who eat pork, or who drink liquor, or who don't bother to try to Convert me, in any way.... are bad Muslims. Just as many, many Christians and Jews are bad Christians and Jews. Jesus taught love and helping others, especially those who are evil, or diseased, or sinful, yet many Christians shun those who are sinful and demand they keep away, or demand the police get those people away. There are so many religious people who practice their faith wrong.

That is why there are Peaceful Muslims... because they are practicing their faith wrong.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#97    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 October 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

I think it is not a religion of peace, unless you purposefully ignore that later revelation supercedes earlier revelations. If you ignore that, then earlier peaceful traditions and passages can be implemented, and Muslims can live side by side with everyone else. But if you don't ignore that later passages supercede and go with those later passages, then Islam demands that any method, including, but not limited, to war, MUST be used to convert the Infidels and other Peoples of the Book. MUST. So, all these Muslims that I work with here at Intel, who are not bowing toward Mecca each day, or who eat pork, or who drink liquor, or who don't bother to try to Convert me, in any way.... are bad Muslims. Just as many, many Christians and Jews are bad Christians and Jews. Jesus taught love and helping others, especially those who are evil, or diseased, or sinful, yet many Christians shun those who are sinful and demand they keep away, or demand the police get those people away. There are so many religious people who practice their faith wrong.

That is why there are Peaceful Muslims... because they are practicing their faith wrong.
I agree with your views.But my motive was to show Aus that all religions are not the same or don't have the same philosophies/concepts.

#98    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,196 posts

• Hi! :-)

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

View Postthe L, on 15 April 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hello Umers,

In the past when Lama dies Buddhist monks looks for the sign in the sky for reincarnation of Lama. When they find reincanated Lama then they took that child and teach him -at ages where he could be thought properly.
Were Biblical Magi buddhists monks? So is Jesus raised in India?
We dont know much about Jesus early life except gnostic documents.

Nicolaj Notovič  Russian Cossack officer ,spy and journalist, studied Buddhism in Tibet and wrote book: Unknown life of Jesus.
In his book he said that Buddist at Tibet wrote that "divine child is born in Judea-Isa .Isa came to India at age 14 and study Buddhism and leave at age of 29 and set on the way to Jerusalem. Where he teach people and later was killed." In short.
http://en.wikipedia....colas_Notovitch

As I heard Buddha also healed people,walk on water,feed mass of hungry people...so...

Also there are legends among people in India about Jusasa  who was sheperd and healer.(as I heard)(?)

I don't think Jesus would have necessarily have to had been raised in India, to have these same principles be applied. I did read this according to an article in the Buddhist scriptures, the Tipitaka (as found on the internet...) :D   http://dhammaprotect...g-of-jesus.html

‘When Buddha was traveling and living in this world, there was an old Brahman priest who wore white robes who asked the Buddha, “How will all men and all Brahmins continue in their merit-making so as to escape the results of sin?” The Buddha answered, “Even though all of you give alms according to the 5 precepts, the 8 precepts, the 10 precepts, or the 227 precepts for 9 trillion years and you raise your hands and offer yourselves as a burnt offering, or you pray 5 times a day, you will still not escape the results of your sins. If you do this every day, your merit gained will only be equal to the smallest strand of hair of an unborn infant which is extremely small. You shall not enter heaven’s doors.” The old Brahman priest asked further, “What are we all to do to be saved?” The Buddha answered the old Brahman priest, “The results of sin and karma are very great, heavier than the sky, thicker than the earth, and so high that it would be like an angel dusting the corner-posts of the temple compound with a cloth post that are 18 inches high - dusting them one time per year - until the posts were worn down to the ground. When the posts are worn down, that’s how long it would take to end your sins.”

The Buddha said further, “I have given up my high position and entered the priesthood. I considered that even though I am good, I would have only a very small amount of merit at the end of the year. If I was given this same amount of merit for 100,000 epochs and live 10 more lifetimes, I would not be saved from sin’s results even once.

The old Brahman priest asked further, “So what should we all do?” The Buddha answered, “Keep on making merit and look for another Holy One who will come and help the world and all of you in the future.”

Then the old Brahman priest asked, “What will the characteristics of the Holy One be like?” The Buddha answered him, “The Holy One who will keep ??? the world in the future will be like this: in the palms of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disc, in the side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars. This Holy One will be the golden boat who will carry you over the cycle of rebirths all the way to the highest heaven (Nirvana). Do not look for salvation the old way; there is no salvation in it for sure. Quit the old way. And there will be a new spirit like the light of a lightning bug in all of your hearts and you will be victorious over all your enemies. Nobody will be able to destroy you. If you die, you will not come back to be born in this world again. You will go to the highest heaven (Nirvana).” ’

found this link as well: Did Jesus go to India?
http://www.answering...ya/notovich.htm
that's not to say I support it, HEY I didn't even READ it.... the title just seems to fit your theory...

Edited by SpiritWriter, 25 October 2012 - 06:00 AM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#99    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 25 October 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I don't think Jesus would have necessarily have to had been raised in India, to have these same principles be applied. I did read this according to an article in the Buddhist scriptures, the Tipitaka (as found on the internet...) :D   http://dhammaprotect...g-of-jesus.html

‘When Buddha was traveling and living in this world, there was an old Brahman priest who wore white robes who asked the Buddha, “How will all men and all Brahmins continue in their merit-making so as to escape the results of sin?” The Buddha answered, “Even though all of you give alms according to the 5 precepts, the 8 precepts, the 10 precepts, or the 227 precepts for 9 trillion years and you raise your hands and offer yourselves as a burnt offering, or you pray 5 times a day, you will still not escape the results of your sins. If you do this every day, your merit gained will only be equal to the smallest strand of hair of an unborn infant which is extremely small. You shall not enter heaven’s doors.” The old Brahman priest asked further, “What are we all to do to be saved?” The Buddha answered the old Brahman priest, “The results of sin and karma are very great, heavier than the sky, thicker than the earth, and so high that it would be like an angel dusting the corner-posts of the temple compound with a cloth post that are 18 inches high - dusting them one time per year - until the posts were worn down to the ground. When the posts are worn down, that’s how long it would take to end your sins.”

The Buddha said further, “I have given up my high position and entered the priesthood. I considered that even though I am good, I would have only a very small amount of merit at the end of the year. If I was given this same amount of merit for 100,000 epochs and live 10 more lifetimes, I would not be saved from sin’s results even once.

The old Brahman priest asked further, “So what should we all do?” The Buddha answered, “Keep on making merit and look for another Holy One who will come and help the world and all of you in the future.”

Then the old Brahman priest asked, “What will the characteristics of the Holy One be like?” The Buddha answered him, “The Holy One who will keep ??? the world in the future will be like this: in the palms of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disc, in the side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars. This Holy One will be the golden boat who will carry you over the cycle of rebirths all the way to the highest heaven (Nirvana). Do not look for salvation the old way; there is no salvation in it for sure. Quit the old way. And there will be a new spirit like the light of a lightning bug in all of your hearts and you will be victorious over all your enemies. Nobody will be able to destroy you. If you die, you will not come back to be born in this world again. You will go to the highest heaven (Nirvana).” ’

found this link as well: Did Jesus go to India?
http://www.answering...ya/notovich.htm
that's not to say I support it, HEY I didn't even READ it.... the title just seems to fit your theory...
There is no concept of sin in Buddhism and Hinduism.Karma is the philosophy.Committing sin and going to hell is not a concept of Buddhism or Hinduism.Going to heaven is not the motive of these religions as opposed to Abrhamic religions but being enlightened while alive is the focus,and escaping the cycle of rebirths(Nirvana-liberation) in the material world is the reward of enlightenement.Oneness with the superlative consciousness is the what enlightenment stands for in these religions.
Good samiritans going to heaven and people breaking the divine commandments going to hell is a Abrhamic religion concept(since specific commandments are given from God),the hindu philosophy states that heaven and hell are here on earth and your conduct in this world determines whether you are living in heaven or hell figuratgively speaking.
Buddha from what we know about him and his philosophy would be the last person in the world to suggest that a messiah (again an alien concept in buddhism and hinduism) will be sent to die for the sin of the whole world,the logic of making others bear your burdens would never have been taught by Buddha even if the person bearing the burden is the son of God.Also Buddha being the enlightened one would not be giving details of body marks of the coming prophet,he did not suscribe to miracles brought about by daily prayer and asked his followers to discard all the traditional rituals that had crept in ,in Hinduism to follow the true path to enlightenement though he never said that the old way is wrong....lol.But a lot of stories of miracles attributed to Buddha have crept in buddhist mythology,probably later additions from ignorant zealous converts.

#100    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Well I'm convinced.  India is the origin of everything - , including Christianity, view from 10:00 minutes onwards.

#101    Shego

Shego

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• "And I'm alive
    I'm God's favorite
    And I'm an angel
    The purest you've ever met"
    - Jyrki 69 (bit me 10/6/09)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hey, I have a question...Is anyone here familiar with the Jewish philosopher, Philo? If he and Jesus lived in the same time period and around the same area, why doesm't any of Philo's writings tell of any account of Jesus' existence?  I'm sure if Jesus was performing those miracles and so forth, word would have gotten around to Philo, but it seems like it didn't....

Edited by Mademoiselle de Lioncourt, 27 October 2012 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image

I want a guy with a rich boy standards
Handsome, has it, want it , have it

#102    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

View PostMademoiselle de Lioncourt, on 27 October 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Hey, I have a question...Is anyone here familiar with the Jewish philosopher, Philo? If he and Jesus lived in the same time period and around the same area, why doesm't any of Philo's writings tell of any account of Jesus' existence?  I'm sure if Jesus was performing those miracles and so forth, word would have gotten around to Philo, but it seems like it didn't....
Well Philo lived in Egypt, so that would have been about 400 miles. Most through desert. And little of Philo is mentioned outside his own works. Thus, should we judge if Philo is real based on his not being mentioned in the New Testiment of the Christian Bible?

Actually the Jewish leaders of the age were actively trying to prevent news of said miracles from getting around. That is why Jesus traveled all over and everywhere he went, people had not heard of him... at least not at first. The further away one gets from News in the ancient world, the longer it took to travel. Possibly Philo did hear about Jesus, but supposedly Jesus died in the year 35, so that would only leave 15 years before Philo dies in 50AD for him to hear about and comment on Jesus.

Jesus's Philosophy might have appealed to Philo, but he was actually more interested in bring Greek ideas into the existing Hebrew structure. While Jesus was trying to supercede the Hebrew structure and bring in a new understanding that was not based on Greek or Hebrew.

#103    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,303 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostMangoze, on 26 October 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Well I'm convinced.  India is the origin of everything - , including Christianity, view from 10:00 minutes onwards.

Now that was a good laugh. Does comedy somewhat reflect reality in this case? :w00t:

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#104    M.A.D CapeBretoner

M.A.D CapeBretoner

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Buddhist do not have a belief in God our father if anything he saw where they took the secerects of our Father God and put forth in there own crooked view. They are part of that Dragon not God our Father.

#105    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,303 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostM.A.D CapeBretoner, on 28 October 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Buddhist do not have a belief in God our father if anything he saw where they took the secerects of our Father God and put forth in there own crooked view. They are part of that Dragon not God our Father.

I was raised Roman Catholic, but there is a line that should not be crossed. Because Buddhism is different from Christianity, there must be something wrong with Buddhism? Christianity is supposed to have some monopoly on religious worship and all other faiths be damned?

Seems a bit...Dark Ages in mentality, doesn't it?

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users