Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Something from nothing


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

    Site Webmaster

  • 20,032 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2001
  • Gender:Male

  • "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Something from nothing
Posted Image
Click here to watch video - 00:23s

Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins talks with theoretical physicist and author Lawrence Krauss.




#2    Mostar

Mostar

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

This is amazing


#3    Xpeople

Xpeople

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2010

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

It is strange that he should say that religious believe are crazy when the title of this video is "Something from Nothing".


#4    Vasuvicci

Vasuvicci

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:02 Feb 2012

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

wow


#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

    Stinky Cheese

  • Member
  • 6,874 posts
  • Joined:27 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Oops.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostXpeople, on 20 April 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

It is strange that he should say that religious believe are crazy when the title of this video is "Something from Nothing".
:w00t:

Get back with us when you watch the video.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#6    Xpeople

Xpeople

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2010

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 20 April 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

:w00t:

Get back with us when you watch the video.

I watch the whole thing.  Did you?

Edited by Xpeople, 21 April 2012 - 01:38 AM.


#7    Lion6969

Lion6969

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,229 posts
  • Joined:20 Aug 2010

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Kraus Dawkins etc just jokers man. But a philosopher of science in this conversation or dialogue and they we can get some where!


#8    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

    Stinky Cheese

  • Member
  • 6,874 posts
  • Joined:27 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Oops.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostXpeople, on 21 April 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

I watch the whole thing.  Did you?
Yep,and I have the book on order. I also got to attend a talk he gave in October which touched on the subject as well.

So,what's your argument over the science he presents?

View PostLion6969, on 23 April 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

Kraus Dawkins etc just jokers man. But a philosopher of science in this conversation or dialogue and they we can get some where!

Krauss has a Doctor in Philosophy (PhD) and works as a physicist.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    Xpeople

Xpeople

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2010

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 23 April 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Yep,and I have the book on order. I also got to attend a talk he gave in October which touched on the subject as well.

So,what's your argument over the science he presents?



Krauss has a Doctor in Philosophy (PhD) and works as a physicist.

Lawrence Krauss is taking science too far.  He saying that the whole universe came from nothing any different then the bible say that God spoke the earth into existence.  He say that there was a process but what is the process?  God spoke and the earth come into existence that is a process, too.  

Here is a video to help explain what I am talking about.  
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CVnJRfCSSEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

    Stinky Cheese

  • Member
  • 6,874 posts
  • Joined:27 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Oops.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Ok... so what is your critique of the observation that in a vacuum particles spontaneously generate out of nothing?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#11    Xpeople

Xpeople

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2010

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 24 April 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

Ok... so what is your critique of the observation that in a vacuum particles spontaneously generate out of nothing?

That is the problem with Lawrence's view.  Is there has been no observation of this phenomena?  He also goes on to say life came from nonliving matter but there has been no observation to support that, too.  It is not that evolution is wrong but there are questions that remain to be answer.


#12    Englishgent

Englishgent

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  • Joined:24 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bangkok Thailand

  • all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

View PostXpeople, on 25 April 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

That is the problem with Lawrence's view.  Is there has been no observation of this phenomena?  He also goes on to say life came from nonliving matter but there has been no observation to support that, too.  It is not that evolution is wrong but there are questions that remain to be answer.

I believe it was a chap by the name of Miller who first condiucted experiments using non-living matter to create amino acids, which form the building blocks of life. These experiments have since been reproduced by other scientists, so I believe you are wrong on that one.

edit...did a quick check ...From Wiki
The Miller and Urey experiment[1] (or Urey–Miller experiment)[2] was an experiment that simulated hypothetical conditions thought at the time to be present on the early Earth, and tested for the occurrence of chemical origins of life. Specifically, the experiment tested Alexander Oparin's and J. B. S. Haldane's hypothesis that conditions on the primitive Earth favored chemical reactions that synthesized organic compounds from inorganic precursors. Considered to be the classic experiment on the origin of life, it was conducted in 1952[3] and published in 1953 by Stanley Miller and Harold Urey at the University of Chicago.[4][5][6]

After Miller's death in 2007, scientists examining sealed vials  preserved from the original experiments were able to show that there  were actually well over 20 different amino acids  produced in Miller's original experiments. That is considerably more  than what Miller originally reported, and more than the 20 that  naturally occur in life.[7]  Moreover, some evidence suggests that Earth's original atmosphere might  have had a different composition than the gas used in the Miller–Urey  experiment. There is abundant evidence of major volcanic eruptions 4  billion years ago, which would have released carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and sulfur dioxide (SO2)  into the atmosphere. Experiments using these gases in addition to the  ones in the original Miller–Urey experiment have produced more diverse  molecules.[8]



Edited by Englishgent, 25 April 2012 - 03:38 AM.


#13    Xpeople

Xpeople

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2010

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 25 April 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

I believe it was a chap by the name of Miller who first condiucted experiments using non-living matter to create amino acids, which form the building blocks of life. These experiments have since been reproduced by other scientists, so I believe you are wrong on that one.

edit...did a quick check ...From Wiki
The Miller and Urey experiment[1] (or Urey–Miller experiment)[2] was an experiment that simulated hypothetical conditions thought at the time to be present on the early Earth, and tested for the occurrence of chemical origins of life. Specifically, the experiment tested Alexander Oparin's and J. B. S. Haldane's hypothesis that conditions on the primitive Earth favored chemical reactions that synthesized organic compounds from inorganic precursors. Considered to be the classic experiment on the origin of life, it was conducted in 1952[3] and published in 1953 by Stanley Miller and Harold Urey at the University of Chicago.[4][5][6]

After Miller's death in 2007, scientists examining sealed vials  preserved from the original experiments were able to show that there  were actually well over 20 different amino acids  produced in Miller's original experiments. That is considerably more  than what Miller originally reported, and more than the 20 that  naturally occur in life.[7]  Moreover, some evidence suggests that Earth's original atmosphere might  have had a different composition than the gas used in the Miller–Urey  experiment. There is abundant evidence of major volcanic eruptions 4  billion years ago, which would have released carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and sulfur dioxide (SO2)  into the atmosphere. Experiments using these gases in addition to the  ones in the original Miller–Urey experiment have produced more diverse  molecules.[8]

You do not have to go that far to show that animo acids can be created. Organic mater has been found in interstellar but organic matter and life are too seperate items.  Many of the drugs we use are organic but they are not life.


#14    Englishgent

Englishgent

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  • Joined:24 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bangkok Thailand

  • all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostXpeople, on 25 April 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

You do not have to go that far to show that animo acids can be created. Organic mater has been found in interstellar but organic matter and life are too seperate items.  Many of the drugs we use are organic but they are not life.

Amino acids are the building blocks of life. Life would not exist without them. Miller's experiments merely proved that these building blocks  can be made from non-organic materials, which is what you are disputing I think.  If that is the case then you are wrong :)


#15    Xpeople

Xpeople

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2010

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 25 April 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Amino acids are the building blocks of life. Life would not exist without them. Miller's experiments merely proved that these building blocks  can be made from non-organic materials, which is what you are disputing I think.  If that is the case then you are wrong :)

I am not disputing anything you said.  You are not wrong but the experiment did go far enough.  It did not produce life. Amino acids is the building blocks but is not life.  The experiment only show how amino acid could have been made.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users