Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How do I clone a hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,763 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I have 2 older laptops. One is HP with XP.  The other is Toshiba with Vista.  I want to make the Toshiba identical to the HP.  Can it be done?  How is it done?

Thanks in advance. :innocent:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hi, and then.

Do a google search and you'll find step-by-step tutorials and free software to complete the task.

An example:
http://www.guardian....dows-hard-drive

BTW... the two will never be identical because they have different hardware configurations.  And they need "activation" again which isn't always possible if the operating systems are OEM versions (tied to the computer)

Edited by Eldorado, 16 April 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#3    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Follow Eldorado's instructions. However, the utility you're looking for is known as "Backup and Restore", which is found in the Control Panel. You will want to create a "System Image".

:tu: I wish you the best of luck.

#4    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,605 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

View Postand then, on 16 April 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I have 2 older laptops. One is HP with XP.  The other is Toshiba with Vista.  I want to make the Toshiba identical to the HP.  Can it be done?  How is it done?

Thanks in advance. :innocent:
Using a system image from the HP and expecting that to work on the Toshiba will not work. Chances are you have different hardware and drivers on each laptop. Cloning can get tricky if you don't know what you are doing with sysprep etc.

The Toshiba has Vista, it runs pretty slow, that is why you want to downgrade it to XP correct? That is a whole different issue in itself. Downgrading a Toshiba from Vista to XP can be an tedious experience just trying to find the correct XP drivers. It can be done, but don't expect to find the drivers on the Toshiba driver and downloads page.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,707 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Your problem in cloning the system will be that all drivers are very likely to be incompatible, So my suggestion is that you copy all data, programs and make a registry backup. Copy that to the target system and at the registry content to the target system's.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,763 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks to everyone.  The HP is set up with all my preferences and some software I'd like to keep so I thought I'd just make an image of that and put it on the Toshiba.  Wish me luck, I hope not to go from 2 pc's to none :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    danydandan

danydandan

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

• Deus iudex est meus

super omnes familia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I use clonzilla. download it in form of an ISO image or ZIP file and burn the image to a CD or load the files onto a USB flash drive or hard drive .then  reboot the computer from that medium you created, which may require going into the BIOS and allow booting from a CD or USB device.

Its easy enough to use , just use another hard drive or an extrenal one ,

"And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

#8    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

I used Clonezilla as well to great success. Back at my old job we used to clone 500-600 disks in around 11-12 hours

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#9    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,605 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Postand then, on 16 April 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Thanks to everyone.  The HP is set up with all my preferences and some software I'd like to keep so I thought I'd just make an image of that and put it on the Toshiba.  Wish me luck, I hope not to go from 2 pc's to none :w00t:
You are going to be disappointed. I am an IT professional and I'm telling you, you can't just clone a hard drive and throw it into a completely different computer and expect it to work.
You are going to run into SSID issues etc.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 17 April 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

You are going to be disappointed. I am an IT professional and I'm telling you, you can't just clone a hard drive and throw it into a completely different computer and expect it to work.

:tu:

#11    danydandan

danydandan

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

• Deus iudex est meus

super omnes familia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 17 April 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

I disagree , it easily worked around

And you can just chance your ssid

"And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

#12    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

The problem here are disk file systems involved (NTFS, FAT) and your OS data signatures (x32, x64), and even if they're compatible it might still not work due to MBR (Master boot record) settings. Such things are often a gamble. Cloning works best when working with clean disks and identical OS's. I don't think SSIDs have anything to do with it whatsoever. If you ask me, I'd agree with Biffsplitkins. I doubt this one will work out for you. Posted Image

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,707 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 18 April 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

The problem here are disk file systems involved (NTFS, FAT) and your OS data signatures (x32, x64), and even if they're compatible it might still not work due to MBR (Master boot record) settings. Such things are often a gamble. Cloning works best when working with clean disks and identical OS's. I don't think SSIDs have anything to do with it whatsoever. If you ask me, I'd agree with Biffsplitkins. I doubt this one will work out for you. Posted Image

I have to agree, won't work, the only possibility I see is to backup data and programs along with the registry and write that on the target system. That could work.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users