Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

John of God' cures thousands in Brazil

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

www.news24.com said:

"John of God" says he communicates with spirits when he goes into a trance. He diagnoses diseases, prescribes medication and conducts surgeries, either with his hands, or with kitchen knives, scalpels or scissors.

Posted Image Read more...

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,493 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Sounds like Edgar Cayce, but maybe with a bit less humility.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#3    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,557 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Post_Only, on 16 April 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Sounds like Edgar Cayce, but maybe with a bit less humility.
I dont really see the connection as Cayce was primarily a "seer" and gave readings whereas this guy is a "healer".

G.Clinton

#4    Sensible Logic

Sensible Logic

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

• If I alter the reality to fit the fantasy I can prove anything.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Probably along the lines of the psychic surgery in the Philippines which is pretty much a way of scamming the believers

The sheer odds of a civilization advancing, developing space travel, deciding to search our little corner of the galaxy, arriving at just the right time and actually helping us is so huge, you would have a greater chance of winning several lotteries in a single year. - SensibleLogic

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,493 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Postjugoso, on 16 April 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

I dont really see the connection as Cayce was primarily a "seer" and gave readings whereas this guy is a "healer".

Not at all! Casey used his seeing to diagnose patients, when doctors had no answers. He might not have done the actual procedure, but told those who did what to do. Or told the patient what to do for themselves to heal.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#6    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,557 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

View Post_Only, on 16 April 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Not at all! Casey used his seeing to diagnose patients, when doctors had no answers. He might not have done the actual procedure, but told those who did what to do. Or told the patient what to do for themselves to heal.
Understood. However, I still see a very, very loose connection at best. :)

G.Clinton

#7    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,320 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I might sound like a crackpot but faith healing seems to work in less educated and enlightened areas of the world. I am not saying that it will regrow severed limbs or cure diabetes. But in many psychosomatic cases, faith healing works because of the simpleton belief of the poor and uneducated people. Faith has a weird power over human body.

But personally, I'd rather stick with modern medicine than losing my sapience to heal my afflictions.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#8    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 236 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

The psychic surgery con was debunked years ago, yet people are still lining up to be scammed.
Too bad Joao de Deus  can't cure stupid, but then he'd be out of a job.

#9    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,240 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

He claims to have healed thousands, an entire towns' economy revolves around his "healing centre", he heals "for free" but collects donations and sells natural remedies and purified water et al.

If ever there was an opportunity to thoroughly test someone's capacity this should be it.  There should be a undeniable swathe of inexplicably healed cases on record - where are they?  Why are all these faith healers claims so, well, "anecdotal"?

He has been at it for 30 years and this is the first I have heard of him ... he should be more famous than Oprah if his claims are genuine and yet ....

Well, those are my reasons for passing this one by anyway.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#10    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,989 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Why would god, if god exists, need to manifest it's power through an intermediary to heal?

I see activities such as this as not only a possible means for self-enrichment of the person claiming to be a healer, but also as a means for religions to increase their 'flock' by duping people into a false faith.

Edited by Leonardo, 17 April 2012 - 04:08 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#11    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,299 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 17 April 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

He claims to have healed thousands, an entire towns' economy revolves around his "healing centre", he heals "for free" but collects donations and sells natural remedies and purified water et al.

If ever there was an opportunity to thoroughly test someone's capacity this should be it.  There should be a undeniable swathe of inexplicably healed cases on record - where are they?  Why are all these faith healers claims so, well, "anecdotal"?

He has been at it for 30 years and this is the first I have heard of him ... he should be more famous than Oprah if his claims are genuine and yet ....

Well, those are my reasons for passing this one by anyway.

I very much agree with you. I strongly hope western scientists and medical personnel test this fraud and reveal him for what he is. This "healing" gift has been claimed through-out recent history and the minute scientists request to validate and evaluate these "healers" they deny them and disappear. Why would this be? You would think, if you're truly a healer, and your purpose in life is to help humanity as they claim, that you would be more than happy to oblige science and help the world receive an understanding of this so we might further help all of man kind...

This simply isn't the case with these frauds....

#12    chiole

chiole

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 16 April 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

I might sound like a crackpot but faith healing seems to work in less educated and enlightened areas of the world. I am not saying that it will regrow severed limbs or cure diabetes. But in many psychosomatic cases, faith healing works because of the simpleton belief of the poor and uneducated people. Faith has a weird power over human body.

But personally, I'd rather stick with modern medicine than losing my sapience to heal my afflictions.
I do not think it's got anything to do with the "less educated" as you put it. When people are sick and dying, they become desperate and will try just about anything to become better again. Nothing to do with being a simpleton or being poor, it's called DESPERATION, remember that word when YOU end up in same place as they are.

#13    chiole

chiole

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 17 April 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Why would god, if god exists, need to manifest it's power through an intermediary to heal?

I see activities such as this as not only a possible means for self-enrichment of the person claiming to be a healer, but also as a means for religions to increase their 'flock' by duping people into a false faith.
OK understand you do not believe in God and that is fine with me, luckily not my soul correct, but now Im a bit curious and I would just like to know from all the non believers, if you have believed and you die and there is a God or no God, then youve got nothing to lose right, but you did not believe and you die and there IS A GOD in heaven, please explain, what are you going to say to Him? O Im sorry I did not think you existed? Just a question.

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,240 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postchiole, on 18 April 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

OK understand you do not believe in God and that is fine with me, luckily not my soul correct, but now I'm a bit curious and I would just like to know from all the non believers, if you have believed and you die and there is a God or no God, then you've got nothing to lose right, but you did not believe and you die and there IS A GOD in heaven, please explain, what are you going to say to Him? "O I'm sorry I did not think you existed?" Just a question.

Hi Chiole,
I am actually a believer but I think I can add some food for thought to your suggestion to Leonardo.

The fact is - people should not choose to believe in God just in case he happens to be there when they die to judge them.  Religions sell this idea to people every day and I think it is wrong to appeal to people's fear.  The people who may be converted to "believe" in God are really only doing what they believe they can to stop being afraid of death - that is not the same as TRULY believing in God.

Now, if you do not believe in God and you die and discover there is a God - well, let's give him/her a little bit of credit - a God, by definition knows far more about what goes on in our hearts and minds than we do and I for one would trust him to recognise a sincere person who believed only what his conscience and evidence allowed him to believe - I don't think it is relevant to think a non-believer would be punished for not knowing any better - this is not a popular position amongst believers but I personally stand firmly by it.

In summary - a person who believes in God because they are afraid of punishment from God if they fail to believe is someone who believes in self preservation at all costs only - it is not a belief in God at all, it is fear hiding as belief.

As I said, those are just my opinions and offered as food for thought.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,989 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Postchiole, on 18 April 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

OK understand you do not believe in God and that is fine with me, luckily not my soul correct, but now Im a bit curious and I would just like to know from all the non believers, if you have believed and you die and there is a God or no God, then youve got nothing to lose right, but you did not believe and you die and there IS A GOD in heaven, please explain, what are you going to say to Him? O Im sorry I did not think you existed? Just a question.

Honestly, I don't know if a god exists. I don't know how anyone can know whether a god exists because 'god' doesn't seem to be defined well enough for us to be able to know that.

However, I am fairly sure that the various scriptures relating that a god exists, and suggesting what that god is, are basically political manifestos wrapped around a bit of real theology and philosophy.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users