Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

John of God' cures thousands in Brazil

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31    seishin

seishin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

This pretty much speaks for itself

Edited by seishin, 17 May 2012 - 12:25 AM.

Crush the industry, No security
Capital is worthless now
Your life I inside trade

#32    meankitty

meankitty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• Yes, I CAN read your mind.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 12 May 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Of course I have, I became a Christian in the 90s. Before that I was a 2nd generation heathen.

You have, but do you still? Thank you.

It is not the business of the government to run banks.

---Vetinari

#33    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Science and faith aren't mutually exclusive.  Exercise and weight loss cures diabetes, it also takes faith that what you're doing will work so you don't give up.   Is it guaranteed?  No, but neither is everlasting life.   Is it fear of diabetes (or heart disease, cancer, etc) that motivates us to change our lifestyles and save ourselves?   Quite possibly.  Or it might be a fear of being unattractive.   Fear is probably the most powerful motivator there is.  Faith in God, even for reasons of self-preservation, isn't fear so much as it's fear replaced by faith.    If we remove fear as a motive, or if we discount fear as a legitimate motive because it's inherently selfish, or because it's not up to Godly standards of belief, we remove so much motivation people have to make so many good things happen for themselves and others, I wouldn't have faith anymore that anything would ever get done.  ;)

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#34    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

View Postchiole, on 18 April 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

I do not think it's got anything to do with the "less educated" as you put it. When people are sick and dying, they become desperate and will try just about anything to become better again. Nothing to do with being a simpleton or being poor, it's called DESPERATION, remember that word when YOU end up in same place as they are.
IMO it's a bit of both.  If you have good health insurance you go to Mayo, if your poor and uneducated you go to your local witch doctor.

What could possibly go wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users