Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horses to be killed for meat in U.S. due to

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,233 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 16 April 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

We ride on horses.I cannot see it being popular ,given we do not even like venison or sweet meats that much.
We also do not breed horses for food,or have farms for horse meat.
This has NEVER been done in the USA before.
Ever. So i don't see anyone jumping on the horse meat band wagon,and most of us find it barbaric.
Chickens and cows and pigs,have been farmed for food,for centuries.
Most everyone only rides horses.
My entire family loves venison. That's all I can speak for though. And some ride cows too!
Here's how to train in a few easy steps
http://m.wikihow.com...ow-to-be-Ridden

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#17    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,772 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

It makes me sad and a little angry that these animals are to be slaughtered as a delicacy for a specific culture.  I would eat the meat to survive if I was starving but that's not what's in play here.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#18    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

I don't see any reason for fault to be placed upon those that would, or do, eat horse meat. Personally, I don't know that I would, but that's mainly because I all ready enjoy other types of meat. If presented with the opportunity, I might try it, but most likely would never do more than simply find out what it tastes like.

People eat deer meat. I really don't see how a horse is any different. Like others have said, it really shouldn't be viewed any differently than eating cow or pig meat, or just about any other animal you can name.

The only issues I have in regards to any animal that would be eaten is if they are an endangered species, and the fact that most animals are treated cruelly by the time their meat is packaged for human consumption.

I couldn't kill a horse, but then again, I couldn't kill a deer, a pig, or a cow either. If I lived in a time, or a place, where it was necessary for man to hunt their own meals though, I doubt I'd find it as difficult to kill an animal for my own, or my family's, consumption.

Edited by Angel Left Wing, 17 April 2012 - 05:34 AM.

#19    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

I ate horse meat (in France it's easy to get) but I ate some kangorro, some austrich some rattle snake it good eating also.  I bit expensive for my taste 'xpcet rattlers they're plenty.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#20    Rhincewind

Rhincewind

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

cows aren't gross or stupid. They are sensative creatures that are being cruelly treated and over exploited

I am  a geneticly engineared lab mouse bent on taking over the world

#21    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 16 April 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

We are fighting this.If you haven't gathered,I do animal rights stuff.
Anyone who eats horse meat,is a horses .......yeah.
This is again,one of obamas bright ideas to fight alleged food shortages.He signed all the bills,making it possible.
Like the wild horse slaughter just for fun,isn't enough.You can bet he and his family won't be eating horse meat any time soon.
No one even applied to be a horse slaughter house,until this MORON.
This country is seriously sick,is all I can say.
Same as any other meat...

I eat kangaroo regularly, I'd eat horse if it was competitively priced and tasted good...

Has anyone tasted horse?

Posted Image

#22    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 17 April 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Same as any other meat...

I eat kangaroo regularly, I'd eat horse if it was competitively priced and tasted good...

Has anyone tasted horse?
Horse meat taste great, it is very tender, lean and healthier than beef.  It has lots of iron and it is recommended for people with deficiencies.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#23    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostParacelse, on 17 April 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Horse meat taste great, it is very tender, lean and healthier than beef.  It has lots of iron and it is recommended for people with deficiencies.
That's why I love kangaroo, extremely lean, can be tough but if it's cooked properly it's great. Also good for the environment ;)

And something I just read on the Wiki pagefor kangaroo meat:

Kangatarianism is a recent practice of following a diet which excludes meat except kangaroo on environmental and ethical grounds.

Posted Image

#24    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

While I am fond of horses, I also don't see what what the huge outcry is - so long as the horses in question are treated as humanely as possible...

The only real question I have is how economically viable is this? Horses aren't exactly cheap to raise... In order for the 'farmer' to get any kind of profit, the meat would have to be expensive... If it's expensive, how many customers will there be?...

#25    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

We ride on horses.I cannot see it being popular ,given we do not even like venison or sweet meats that much.
Ever. So i don't see anyone jumping on the horse meat band wagon,and most of us find it barbaric.
Most everyone only rides horses.

You better never leave America:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Horse_meat

In the Netherlands, smoked horse meat (paardenrookvlees) is sold as sliced meat and eaten on bread. There are also beef-based variants. Horse meat is also used in sausages (paardenworst and frikandel[68]), fried fast food snacks and ready-to-eat soups.

#26    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

In India cows are not eaten but revered, in Asia dogs and cats are eaten, and in most tribal areas whatever can be eaten is eaten.  Horses have been used for something as petty as glue in the US but we draw the line at eating them?  LOL

The poor cows get a bad rep in the US for being stupid and lacking nobility.  I think that Hindu's would disagree.  Cows are funny and have lots of personality.  So do chickens.  Weird as it may seem, they can be affectionate like any pet, too.

Horses can be viewed as just as stupid as any other animal, the nobility of them is an illusion of their appearance and of the training they are commonly given.  It's a glossed over idea you happen to have about the animal.  Same as people in India have about cows, I mean they see them as GODS, but here in the US we'll throw on on the grill every day of the week if we can.  People can make friends with any kind of animal that's tameable, horses, cows, chickens, pigs, monkeys, cats, dogs, squirrels and a person's own experiences will lead them to be comfortable eating that animal or not eating that animal.  

It's ridiculous to suggest one animal deserves more respect than another, all life has the same value whether YOU appreciate that form of life or not.

No one should be up in arms over eating horses if they're ok with eating any other kind of meat.  Meat is meat, animals are animals.  Period.

Edited by karmakazi, 17 April 2012 - 01:11 PM.

There is no greater risk in life than doing nothing.

#27    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

The horse is a Noble Beast!  Not to be chewed, imo.

#28    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostRhincewind, on 17 April 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

cows aren't gross or stupid. They are sensative creatures that are being cruelly treated and over exploited

It's a well known fact that cows would be ruling this planet if we didn't keep them in check by eating their tasty, tasty meat.Posted Image

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 17 April 2012 - 11:18 PM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#29    joenhaggrity

joenhaggrity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

• "You know what you are?, you're semantic blockage" - Raliegh Theodore Sakers III
    "That's me." -king of id

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

I agree that horses are a completely different class of animal than the standard bred and fed stock, and again it is closer to slaughtering dogs as these are animals that humans do develop relationships with.  But the truth of the nature is they are animals, just as we are, and as omnivores we eat other animals just like animals do.  This is an intersting topic as it had me contemplating vegetarianism for a moment, but I'm sorry as in the reality of energy transfer pretty much everything eats everything.

Do you suppose we would ever come across a sentient species of flora if we were able to see through the galaxies? Who nows what dynamics that would require.

Edited by joenhaggrity, 18 April 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#30    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostEldorado, on 17 April 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

The horse is a Noble Beast!  Not to be chewed, imo.
Until you taste it and then you want more

République No.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users