Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Last Prophet

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Why has there been no "Prophets" in the Judeo Christian world since Biblical times?  Or has there?

(apologies if it's a dumb question)

#2    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,036 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostEldorado, on 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Why has there been no "Prophets" in the Judeo Christian world since Biblical times?  Or has there?

Actually, it's a good question but my answer may be opening a can of worms.  I would consider the Disciples as prophets (spanning Biblical times to post Biblical times).  Including Paul and John of Patmos.  And perhaps the Catholic saints.  Going a bit secular, you have Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, Silvia Browne, etc.  Then you could consider those in the 1800s that were claiming that the world was coming to an end.  Then you have the likes of Jim Jones and David Koresh.  There’s a long list of legitimate and false prophets.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#3    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,004 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

what about kalhil gibran? he was a prophet.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

OK... I meant Official Prophet.  Accepted by the main Jewish and/or Christian Churches as speaking on God's behalf.  There's a whole raft in the Bible... then nothing, as far as I know.

Has God given up on us?

#5    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Jesus son of god and the last prophet, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Mohammed hadn't read John 14:6

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#6    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well, it's been too long.  I think we some guidance here from someone who isn't also feathering their own nest.

I'll try praying again.

#7    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I think the reason no one has been accepted as a prophet by the Christian side is that the earlier prophets were basically foretelling the arrival of Jesus...

After he came there was really no need of another prophet... At least that's the way I see it...

#8    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,036 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Actually, I would think that Hetrodoxly and Taun are correct.  With the arrival of the Holy Spirit, we all have become prophets.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#9    Copen

Copen

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostTaun, on 18 April 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

I think the reason no one has been accepted as a prophet by the Christian side is that the earlier prophets were basically foretelling the arrival of Jesus...

After he came there was really no need of another prophet... At least that's the way I see it...

From Adam  through the Old Testament and the New Testament authors, the Bible has only been dictated to and written by Jews who were of the special line God keep from being contaminated. ("In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread..." and therefore it continued through his offspring Jewish line that separated Cain from the true worship. Bread being a symbol of the divine word from God.)The New Testament era was to graft the Gentiles into the true religion. Gentiles can prophecy and prophesy to the NT believers; but since there will be no more divinely inspired scripture dictated from God, a universally accepted prophet is not recognized as such.

There are some scripture books listed in the Bible which are missing. But they were also divinely inspired by Jewish authors and if/when they are found they will be in an incorruptible state. (Not like the fragmented corruptible DEAD Sea Scrolls written by people who show no direct link to Adam). I would think the missing scrolls will give additional information on prophecy.
God bless us all

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,229 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

I think there has been.  Just probably not recognized by abrahamic religons. Plenty of native American, Hindu, and buhddist like phrophets. The judeo/Christian scriptures are not the only source of spiritual information.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#11    StGeorge

StGeorge

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

If anyone knows of the LDS or Mormon faith... they have had 'genuine' prophets since Joseph Smith in the 1800's & when one passes away a new prophet is elected or 'chosen'.....

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has made contact with Us" (Calvin & Hobbs)

#12    Ishram

Ishram

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

GOD will never give up on us, he is a part of us, we are one

#13    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

There have been, and are "prophets." The problem is that miracles are not as easily accepted in this day and age so they are simply ignored…

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#14    painter12

painter12

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

God sends someone in every 100 years to recover his message, not a prophet but like a representative of the prophet.
The last prophet had come and there will be no more prophet, we are in the end times.

God always and continuously has power and control on everyone and everything in the universe. god never gives up.

#15    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

OMG duh... how did I miss this...there has been. His name was Muhammad...he was the founder of Islam.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users