Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] RIP Dick Clark

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,148 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Dick Clark, the music industry maverick, longtime TV host and powerhouse producer who changed the way we listened to pop music with American Bandstand, and whose trademark Rockin' Eve became a fixture of New Year's celebrations, died today at the age of 82, ABC News has learned.

Clark, who suffered a serious stroke in 2004 but returned to the airwaves, reportedly died from a heart attack.

Born in Mount Vernon, N.Y., on Nov. 30, 1929, Richard Wagstaff Clark began his lifelong career in show business began before he was even out of high school. He started working in the mailroom of WRUN, a radio station in upstate New York run by his father and uncle. It wasn't long before the teenager was on the air, filling in for the weatherman and the announcer.

Full story

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#2    Javid86

Javid86

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

He will be missed.

The mediator between the mind and hands must be the heart.

#3    Ghostdancer

Ghostdancer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Just saw a FB message stating that Dick Clark of American Bandstand fame has died. Watched his show a lot as a youngster.

http://tv.yahoo.com/...dies-at-82.html

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

#4    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,005 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Another icon gone... :cry:

#5    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,409 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

I had to explain to one of my co-workers who this guy was.  Makes me feel old.:no:

But Dick wasn't looking or acting well these past few years, so I knew his time was ending soon.   R.I.P. Dick - we spent a lot of New Years Eve's together.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#6    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,822 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

Watched Bandstand since I was about 5 yrs. old with my older siblings. What a wonderful life. So many years of good music. RIP.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#7    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

View Postsusieice, on 19 April 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Watched Bandstand since I was about 5 yrs. old with my older siblings. What a wonderful life. So many years of good music. RIP.
Yeah, I watched it too. It seems like Clark had a pretty good life with lots of friends, and not wanting for money. The stroke seemed so hard on him, I didn't think he could keep going much longer; but he did. He did so much for so many people over the years. What a great life to leave behind.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#8    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

First Don Cornelius, then Dick Clark. Just a coincidence I guess ...

Spoiler

#9    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

who's Dick Clark?

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users