Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US: Black boxes in all new cars from 2015

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,326 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

www.infowars.com said:

A bill already passed by the Senate and set to be rubber stamped by the House would make it mandatory for all new cars in the United States to be fitted with black box data recorders from 2015 onwards.

Section 31406 of Senate Bill 1813 (known as MAP-21), calls for “Mandatory Event Data Recorders” to be installed in all new automobiles and legislates for civil penalties to be imposed against individuals for failing to do so.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

The ultimate Big Brother scenario would be a system whereby every driver had to get de facto permission from the state to drive each time they get behind the wheel, once it had been determined from an iris scan that they were good citizens who have paid all their taxes and not misbehaved.

:blink:

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,975 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Looks like the value of a used car is going to go way up.

#4    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

So like planes they'll be able to check the data and gather information in case of a crash right? Doesn't sound like a big deal.

Edited by Corp, 19 April 2012 - 04:23 PM.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,975 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

It may not sound like a big deal now but just wait.

#6    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

The idea of cars recording you at all times is scary. That's what I call invasion of privacy. Of course, I'm sure there are cameras where I can't see them. And there are cameras in traffic; but to have a black box "recorder" in your car - that truly is Orwellian. It may be for the "safety" of people, as it would be so advertised, but let people look after themselves. If we can't handle the responsibility of looking after ourselves, then we don't deserve this Republic.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#7    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostCorp, on 19 April 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

So like planes they'll be able to check the data and gather information in case of a crash right? Doesn't sound like a big deal.
You're kidding, right?  You honestly think that's all they will be used for?  I'm with Hilander on this one... one used car for me please.
How about when you get cut off in traffic and utter a curse.  Maybe by that time, cursing will be deemed illegal too, just like in Demolition Man.  Then you'll need to take anger management classes and be issued one demerit on your driving record, insurance rates will go up or maybe even cancel you, it'll be broadcast on the Global Facebook that's keeping tabs on all of us, you won't get hired because you are a risk at job interviews, ... I could go on and on...

As John Spartan said in the movie, "Why don't you just shove a leash up my a@#?"

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,753 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Gone will be the days of "but officer, I wasn't speeding, honest!"
Progressive insurance has a similar system already that it uses to "help" it's customers with their rates.  A USB drive that tracks info about driving habits.  I haven't investigated it but I suspect that you have to allow them to download info after any accident so they know exactly how fast, when did you brake etc.  The black boxes will be a boon to law enforcement and especially insurance companies, I think.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#9    calaf

calaf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Looks like I'll be driving my '49 MG a lot more.

#10    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

If this does not disturb you in a big way, then you need to take your head out of the sand and open your eyes. This is something that I never saw coming but now that I read it, it really comes as no surprise with this administration.

Mike

#11    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostMantis914, on 19 April 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

You're kidding, right?  You honestly think that's all they will be used for?  I'm with Hilander on this one... one used car for me please.
How about when you get cut off in traffic and utter a curse.  Maybe by that time, cursing will be deemed illegal too, just like in Demolition Man.  Then you'll need to take anger management classes and be issued one demerit on your driving record, insurance rates will go up or maybe even cancel you, it'll be broadcast on the Global Facebook that's keeping tabs on all of us, you won't get hired because you are a risk at job interviews, ... I could go on and on...

As John Spartan said in the movie, "Why don't you just shove a leash up my a@#?"

I see you've avoided the slipperly slope and decided just to jump off a cliff.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#12    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,791 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostHilander, on 19 April 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

It may not sound like a big deal now but just wait.
Hmm, imagine come inspection time once a year, at least that's how it is here, a black box law is enforced that the inspecting mechanic must hook up to your box and pull all data and send it in to the state. The state could then see every location you've been. All speed limits will be known for said locations and so will your speed. They'll know if you rolled through a stop sign. They'll know if you're hard on gas. You'll then get yearly fines in the mail for traffic violations and even penalties for "wasting" gas if you are smashing the pedal. It sound extreme, and it is. Yet it's entirely possible. Especially if Obama remains in office. Don't tell me it's too much effort to go through all this data. Computer programmers could easily write software to make it automatic. Violation found: Send fine. Dont even need humans until its time to arrest you for not paying up. Sure there are some good uses for black boxes but big government types won't be able to resist new ways to restrict your freedom and take your money.
Ps,
I'm not advocating reckless driving but even the most cautious drivers could be found guilty of dozens of violations a year if it gets that technical.

#13    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,879 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostIs it for real, on 20 April 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Hmm, imagine come inspection time once a year, at least that's how it is here, a black box law is enforced that the inspecting mechanic must hook up to your box and pull all data and send it in to the state. The state could then see every location you've been. All speed limits will be known for said locations and so will your speed. They'll know if you rolled through a stop sign. They'll know if you're hard on gas. You'll then get yearly fines in the mail for traffic violations and even penalties for "wasting" gas if you are smashing the pedal. It sound extreme, and it is. Yet it's entirely possible. Especially if Obama remains in office. Don't tell me it's too much effort to go through all this data. Computer programmers could easily write software to make it automatic. Violation found: Send fine. Dont even need humans until its time to arrest you for not paying up. Sure there are some good uses for black boxes but big government types won't be able to resist new ways to restrict your freedom and take your money.
Ps,
I'm not advocating reckless driving but even the most cautious drivers could be found guilty of dozens of violations a year if it gets that technical.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't tickets go to the driver and not the owner? So will the black boxes know who is driving?
It is the same with the cameras at traffic lights. They take a picture of your tag if you run the light. Then they send you a ticket in the mail. If I ever got one the first thing I'd say is that I wasn't driving. Unless they have a picture showing me driving they can pound sand. Of course this is easy for me to say since I don't drive much anymore.  :innocent:

Edited by Bama13, 20 April 2012 - 06:46 PM.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostBama13, on 20 April 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't tickets go to the driver and not the owner? So will the black boxes know who is driving?
It is the same with the cameras at traffic lights. They take a picture of your tag if you run the light. Then they send you a ticket in the mail. If I ever got one the first thing I'd say is that I wasn't driving. Unless they have a picture showing me driving they can pound sand. Of course this is easy for me to say since I don't drive much anymore.  :innocent:

The problem there is that then your insurance rates will go way up for letting other drivers use your car... That or they will still find you negligent for letting your car get used to break the law (speed, etc)...

Danged if you do danged if you don't... I'm with It's For Real on this ... Way too much of a chance for government/corprate abuse on this one...

#15    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,245 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

I don't know how red light tickets work everywhere... But I know how they work in Chicago- and they send the ticket to the owner of the vehicle. If one wants to contest the ticket, they have to go in person to the courthouse and talk to the court about getting something done about the ticket. Pretty much all tickets stick to your insurance no matter who was driving.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users