Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Matthew and the Genealogy of Jesus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,185 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hello, everybody. :)  
Now, I don't want to get into an argument about the existence of Jesus and so on, and I'm certainly not trying to be flippant or disrespectful, but this is just something that I've often thought about. : Now, at the beginning of Matthew's Gospel there's a long geneaology that traces the ancestry of Jesus right back to Abraham, to demonstrate that he was descended from David, right, and so is the rightful King. Now, he ends with " ... And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ ". Now, technically, as we all know, Joseph was not Jesus' father, was he? As Matthew goes straight on to say, ".. fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost". So does that make all the foregoing irrelevant, if Joseph was, if you like, Jesus' stepfather? Was the point of it to convince the people of Israel that Jesus was indeed the one they had been waiting for, and hope that they wouldn't think about it too ccarefully?  Like i said, just a theological point I've wondered about.
:)

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users