Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GOP Continuing War on Women

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

My link

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is, in normal times, an uncontroversial bipartisan law that was originally passed by President Bill Clinton in 1994. The law was intended to buttress protections within the law for women affected by violence by stiffening sentences for perpetrators and enabling access by women to civil proceedings, even when prosecutors decline to pursue criminal charges. According to the Wall Street Journal, VAWA is encountering resistance for the first time since its inception. Republicans are obstructing the laws renewal on the basis that it now includes language protecting Native Americans, immigrants and LGBT Americans.

#2    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

lol this is plain dumb...

#3    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

A War on Women is happening in the world as we speak.

You don't care about it though.  You just care about your daily "progressive" talking points.

In three African countries, bride kidnapping often takes the form of abduction followed by rape.

Rwanda

Bride-kidnapping is prevalent in areas of Rwanda. Often the abductor kidnaps the woman from her household or follows her outside and abducts her. He and his companions may then rape the woman to ensure that she submits to the marriage. The family of the woman either then feels obliged to consent to the union, or is forced to when the kidnapper impregnates her, as pregnant women are not seen as eligible for marriage. The marriage is confirmed with a ceremony that follows the abduction by several days. In such ceremonies, the abductor asks his bride's parents to forgive him for abducting their daughter. The man may offer a cow, money, or other goods as restitution to his bride's family.

Bride-kidnap marriages in Rwanda often lead to poor outcomes. Human rights workers report that one third of men who abduct their wives abandon them, leaving the wife without support and impaired in finding a future marriage. Additionally, with the growing frequency of bride-kidnapping, some men choose not to solemnize their marriage at all, keeping their "bride" as a concubine. Domestic violence is also common and is not illegal.

Bride kidnapping is not specifically outlawed in Rwanda, though violent abductions are punishable as rape. According to a criminal justice official, bride kidnappers are virtually never tried in court: "When we hear about abduction, we hunt down the kidnappers and arrest them and sometimes the husband, too. But we're forced to let them all go several days later," says an official at the criminal investigation department in Nyagatare, the capital of Umutara." Women's rights groups have attempted to reverse the tradition by conducting awareness raising campaigns and by promoting gender equity, but the progress has been limited so far.

Ethiopia

In parts of Ethiopia, a man working in co-ordination with his friends may kidnap a girl or woman, sometimes using a horse to ease the escape. The abductor will then hide his intended bride and rape her until she becomes pregnant. As the father of the woman's child, the man can claim her as his wife. Subsequently, the kidnapper may try to negotiate a bride price with the village elders to legitimize the marriage. Girls as young as eleven years old are reported to have been kidnapped for the purpose of marriage. Though Ethiopia criminalized such abductions and raised the marriageable age to 18 in 2004, this law has not been well implemented.

The bride of the forced marriage may suffer from both the physical consequences of early sexual activity and pregnancy, and the early end to her education.[16] Abductions of schoolgirls still occur in Oromiya, for example. Women and girls who are kidnapped may also be exposed to sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS.

Kenya

Forced marriages continue to be a problem for young girls in Kenya. The United States Department of State reports that children and young teenaged girls (aged ten and up) are sometimes married to men two decades or more their seniors.

Marriage by abduction used to be, and to some extent still is, a customary practice for the Kisii ethnic group. In their practice, the abductor kidnaps the woman forcibly and rapes her in an attempt to impregnate her. The "bride" is then coerced through the stigma of pregnancy and rape to marry her abductor. Though most common in the late 19th century through the 1960s, such marriage abductions still occur occasionally.

The Turkana tribe in Kenya also practiced marriage by abduction. In this culture, bridal kidnapping (akomari) occurred before any formal attempts to arrange a marriage with a bride's family. According to one scholar, a successful bridal kidnapping raised the abductor's reputation in his community, and allowed him to negotiate a lower bride price with his wife's family. Should an attempted abductor fail to seize his bride, he was bound to pay a bride price to the woman's family, provide additional gifts and payments to the family, and to have an arranged marriage (akota).

But yeah, the U.S. Republicans are waging a "war on women"...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#4    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

This part definitely needs to go...

http://www.saveservi...vision-of-vawa/

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

So some politicians have legitimate issues about newly added clauses in an existing bill and it's suddenly a "war against women".

The desperation of an administration that has no record on which to run is apparent.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

• I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.
    ― P.T. Barnam

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

What's GOP?

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 20 April 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

What's GOP?

The Grand Old Party is another name for the Republican Party.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,332 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostMantis914, on 19 April 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

This part definitely needs to go...

http://www.saveservi...vision-of-vawa/

I disagree. The foreign partner the IMB is matching the American client to has a right to know that information before agreeing to any marriage contract. Additionally, it is not singling out IMB's, as the dating sites these are compared to are not Marriage Brokers and it would be presumed people meeting on those sites get to know each other before committing to a relationship.

There is no stereotyping in providing that information, because the information is provided without opinion as to the 'type' of person the US client is.

And Constitutional guarantees are only relevant to contracts and associations within the USA. The IMB service is International and the US-based client should not expect Constitutional protection accordingly.

Edited by Leonardo, 20 April 2012 - 02:10 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

• I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.
    ― P.T. Barnam

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostRafterman, on 20 April 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

The Grand Old Party is another name for the Republican Party.

Ok thanks. Do the Democrats have a nickname?

#10    Its Mii

Its Mii

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

• I'm not like them,
    but I can pretend.
    The sun is gone,
    but I have a light .
    The day is done,
    but I'm having fun.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

There is a war on women going on... Have you paid any attention to "abortion" laws being passed?? One passed in Arizona gives doctors the right to withhold information that could be life threatening to the woman because it made lead to an abortion. They would rather have the woman and baby die than give the woman a choice... how is that right?? Why should it be up to a doctor to decide what my life is worth to him??? How is that pro-life? Not to mention insurance companies... Do you know what insurance rates are for women between the ages of 25-30?? It's almost impossible to get insurance because it's prime birthing age, wtf is that all about?? A war on women... Oh yes!! Need more proof let me know... There's plenty of f'd up laws and articles about them to back me up.

Don't mistake coincidance for fate.

#11    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,077 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 19 April 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

A War on Women is happening in the world as we speak.

You don't care about it though.  You just care about your daily "progressive" talking points.
Your "People are doing really bad stuff elsewhere so you should totally let us get away with doing not-quite-as-bad stuff here" fallacy is fallacious.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#12    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostTiggs, on 20 April 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Your "People are doing really bad stuff elsewhere so you should totally let us get away with doing not-quite-as-bad stuff here" fallacy is fallacious.

No...  It's not about "people are doing bad stuff elsewhere..."

My problem is with the "War on Women" meme going around.  

There are LITERAL "wars on women" happening in the world.  LITERAL.

Muslim "honor" killings.

Bride-kidnappings.

Genital Mutilations.

Forced Sex-Slavery.

The U.S. Republican party does nothing even remotely similar to these reprehensible things.  

I'm just SICK of people equating young women who don't want to pay for their own birth-control pills to a "War on Women" being waged by the GOP.

#13    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,077 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 20 April 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

No...  It's not about "people are doing bad stuff elsewhere..."

My problem is with the "War on Women" meme going around.  

There are LITERAL "wars on women" happening in the world.  LITERAL.

If you believe that women's lives literally aren't at stake - perhaps you should go and ask Candidate Romney whether women who get illegal abortions die.

I dare you. I double dare you.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#14    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

You act as if getting abortions is something that "just happens" to all women all the time.

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 20 April 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

You act as if getting abortions is something that "just happens" to all women all the time.
You act as if there aren't women who don't have pregnancy complications that threaten the life of the mother, all the time.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users