Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists create DNA alternative

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,955 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Artificial genetic material that can evolve and store information like DNA has been developed in a lab.

Guardian Unlimited said:

Researchers at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, in Cambridge, developed chemical procedures to turn DNA and RNA, the molecular blueprints for all known life, into six alternative genetic polymers called XNAs.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

The article concludes with, "Synthetic biologists are beginning to frolic on the worlds of alternative genetics but must not tread into areas that have the potential to harm our biology."

I would submit that we are already doing this, not with some exotic new system similar to DNA, but by genetic engineering of food, taking genes from one organism and inserting it into another that we consume. Add to this the over-use of hormones and pesticides. This might be a partial explanation for many of the digestive issues, allergies and immune problems we are seeing in America. And since we are the first generation to experience widespread usage of these GMOs, will our generation also one day show an increased rate of cancer?  Our bodies are now having to process material that they were not designed to consume. Yes, I know that this may allow higher yield crops or give plants and animals the edge over weeds and diseases but at what cost? But that's just my rant against the adulteration of our food supply.

#3    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,644 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostSundew, on 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

The article concludes with, "Synthetic biologists are beginning to frolic on the worlds of alternative genetics but must not tread into areas that have the potential to harm our biology."

I would submit that we are already doing this, not with some exotic new system similar to DNA, but by genetic engineering of food, taking genes from one organism and inserting it into another that we consume. Add to this the over-use of hormones and pesticides. This might be a partial explanation for many of the digestive issues, allergies and immune problems we are seeing in America. And since we are the first generation to experience widespread usage of these GMOs, will our generation also one day show an increased rate of cancer?  Our bodies are now having to process material that they were not designed to consume. Yes, I know that this may allow higher yield crops or give plants and animals the edge over weeds and diseases but at what cost? But that's just my rant against the adulteration of our food supply.

Valid points my friend.  Sadly we only seem to learn from our mistakes, and making mistakes in this area could be deadly.

peace
mark

#4    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,718 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

In before anyone else says zombies.

#5    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh...  snap! The implications this brings up are too numerous to list.  I'll just agree with Spid3rCyd3 and say "zombies."

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Oh yes,let's all freak out about it!
Even better, let's freak out about stuff that hasn't (and may not) happen yet!

Even more better, let's assume our particular mad on is the source of all evil!

Even more more better, let's ignore the rates of illness/allergies in countries that take on GM food versus those that don't, and freak out some more!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,396 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Are they tampering with something which may get out of control ?.One day they will take one step too far which will turn around and bite.Dont mess with nature.

#8    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Right, we should never forget the lessons taught to us by every bad scifi film ever.

We started messing with nature when the first wolf was tamed and the first ancient human thought it was a good idea to try planting the seeds this.

Edited by ShadowSot, 20 April 2012 - 09:41 PM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,804 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostCryptozological Mascot, on 20 April 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh...  snap! The implications this brings up are too numerous to list.  I'll just agree with Spid3rCyd3 and say "zombies."
ZNA!?

#10    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 20 April 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Right, we should never forget the lessons taught to us by every bad scifi film ever.

We started messing with nature when the first wolf was tamed and the first ancient human thought it was a good idea to try planting the seeds this.
Now now ShadowSot.  I must say you have the look of a bit of genetic modification yourself... :P

#11    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 20 April 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Now now ShadowSot.  I must say you have the look of a bit of genetic modification yourself... :P
Not a drop of it I'll have you know, I came to this body from healthy all natural radiation, thank you very kindly.

Puts hair on your chest it does.
And your ears.
H'and the bottoms of your feet.

And your tongue.

And... well, you get the idea.

Edited by ShadowSot, 20 April 2012 - 11:07 PM.

-Terry Pratchett

#12    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 20 April 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Not a drop of it I'll have you know, I came to this body from healthy all natural radiation, thank you very kindly.

Puts hair on your chest it does.
And your ears.
H'and the bottoms of your feet.

And your tongue.

And... well, you get the idea.
LOL :lol:

It is working very well.  Some might say too well! :rofl:

#13    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 178 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

What's this about zombies  :cry:

#14    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,718 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

You know, when hell is full, the dead shall walk the earth...if even by our own creation.  :unsure2:

#15    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

and why is it so hard for people to belive that weve had our dna manipulated by extraterrestrials when where more primitve and starting to make or own lab grown dna strands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users