Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

In One Manís Return, the Tax Codeís Unfairnes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

www.nytimes.com said:

Like most Americans (though not Mitt Romney, who got an extension), I filed my 2011 tax returns this week and paid my five layers of income tax: federal, state, local, self-employed and something called the metropolitan commuter tax (even though I live in New York City and don't commute).When I first looked at the returns, I was incredulous.  

My adjusted gross income was higher than 2010. Yet my overall tax rate went down. My alternative minimum tax also went down. Posted Image Read more...

Yeh, like we did not know that....:innocent:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,348 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

So the more you earn, the less you pay? Can I do my taxes through the American system please?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Of course the poor pay more. The working poor. People who work and have nothing pay the most. If you have a house there are deductions for that. There are lots of things that you purchase where you can get tax deductions. If you work and can't afford to buy these things you just pay. The working poor pay more for everything. The less you make the higher your interest rates if you do buy something. Overall the less you have the more you pay to live. That's just a fact. This country thrives on poverty. It creates it. The rich own our prisons and social services. Those are huge businesses. We gotta help the children! They're paying the rent!

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,578 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Which is why we should have a 15% flat tax - no deductions and no capital gains taxes at all.  Everyone pays the same rate on INCOME.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,343 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 April 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Which is why we should have a 15% flat tax - no deductions and no capital gains taxes at all.  Everyone pays the same rate on INCOME.
I agree...either that or the fair tax. One of the benefits, with the fair tax, we could eliminate the IRS thus saving millions if not billions of dollars per year.

Posted Image

#6    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,991 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

right, so then the very rich would get a huge tax break. Good thinking. NOT. I suggest you read up on the value of marginal tax rates.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#7    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,991 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostGummug, on 21 April 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

I agree...either that or the fair tax. One of the benefits, with the fair tax, we could eliminate the IRS thus saving millions if not billions of dollars per year.

You're wrong. Who would you pay this "fair tax" to? The IRS would not be eliminated. And a flat tax would give the rich a huge tax break.

Edited by ninjadude, 21 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,665 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

If the problem is that the rich are paying almost no tax due to their ability to find loopholes, then closing those and forcing them to actually pay the 15% would cause them to pay MORE, not less.  The overall effect would be more tax raised from everyone I think.  But it won't happen because the "progressive" system we have now is designed to give power to the government to control aspects of our lives that they could not normally touch.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postninjadude, on 21 April 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

right, so then the very rich would get a huge tax break. Good thinking. NOT. I suggest you read up on the value of marginal tax rates.

And that's really what it's all about to you, isn't it?  Sticking it to the rich and income redistribution.

Careful, your Little Red Book is showing.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostRafterman, on 22 April 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

And that's really what it's all about to you, isn't it?  Sticking it to the rich and income redistribution.

There is a reason those people ended up with all that money and it's not because they are geniuses or hard workers. It's because they own our courts, our judicial system, our social services and our politicians. That money isn't theirs.

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

So according to your little brown book it is OK that the government takes 30% from you and lets those who earn millions keep 85%? Well, if that is the case they should increase your taxes to pay for the deficit. Cause most of it is due to people getting breaks that the poor did not get.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,991 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Not at all. It has to do with facts. Since you won't look it up, I'll post some here

In a jurisdiction with a flat tax  on earnings, every taxpayer pays the same percentage of income,  regardless of income or consumption. Some proponents of this system  propose to exempt a fixed amount of earnings (such as the first $10,000)  from the flat tax. In a revenue neutral situation in jurisdictions with  progressive taxation regimes, where imposition of a "flat tax" would  target neither an increase nor decrease in the total tax revenue, the  net effect of the flat tax would be to shift a significant portion of  the tax burden from wealthier tax brackets to less wealthy tax brackets.
My link

Read that again. A flat tax would shift the burden of taxation from those who are most able to pay to those who do not. Do you think that is a workable solution?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#13    Marks_Thoughts

Marks_Thoughts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postninjadude, on 21 April 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

You're wrong. Who would you pay this "fair tax" to? The IRS would not be eliminated. And a flat tax would give the rich a huge tax break.
The problem with the current tax system is that is has been 'tweaked' so much that it takes tens of thousands of pages to print the code, it costs American businesses thousands of man-hours every year per business to remain in compliance and to take advantage of all of the 'incentives' (we see these as loopholes), and requires an army of IRS agents to enforce, as well as real law enforcement agents. Consider a simpler plan, not necessarily a true Flat Tax.
The plan would look similar to what you and I see, essentially some few deductions to fill out a relatively simple return. I don't know what the percentage really should be, let's just accept 15%. It would work like this: Tax rate is the same for all users and is levied against income from wages, capital gains, and similar. Every user gets a personal deduction (intent should be to make up for the various consumption taxes low-income earners pay to local and state when they purchase necessary items).
I would argue that if you want businesses to hire the folks that you give the corporations a deduction for each full-time employee (a full 40 hours a week employee - not part-timers combined hours). The point of this would be to remove the trend for part-time employees, which enables companies to not pay benefits, and to create and retain full-time workers. In effect, you have those at the bottom of the income scale able to stay ahead of the local and state taxes to survive. It also allows businesses and high-earners to hire and not be non-competitive internationally.
I would eliminate all other deductions, loans to businesses by local, state or federal agencies, tax abatements would be removed (all this really does is pit communities against each other) and allow businesses that are innovative and able to grow to do just that. Government should NOT be in the world of business at all. The role of government should be clear: Keep a fair playing field - Keep work conditions as safe as is practicable - Keep the environment as clean as is practicable. Taken to the full this would largely eliminate the bulk of tax attorney and accountant expenses, IRS agents - and reduce the paperwork businesses are currently required to file. I hear that large corporations that are complex in nature file returns that are as much as 50,000 pages each year! Who reads that crap and delves into all of the arcane tax deductions, etc. to see if it was correct? Why do we waste so much time in court litigating those arcane deductions and similar? It's just plain nuts. Keep it simple, keep it sane, and keep it low to allow businesses to grow.

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,348 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

I think 10% would be easier to work with, quite easy to quickly calculate 10% of anything (dividing by ten is easily amongst the simplest form of division to teach and use in every day life). And 10% isn't that much of a loss for anyone, 10 cents in a dollar.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users