Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Forum update progress

update

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#106    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,811 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

No because generally the first thing people want to see when they make a post is the post they just made to make sure it's ok.

Also, the forum software doesn't support any mechanism to automatically return to a specific post being quoted in your response. What you can do though is click the quote link in the post you just made for that particular quote and it will take you there.

#107    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostSaru, on 01 May 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

No because generally the first thing people want to see when they make a post is the post they just made to make sure it's ok.

Also, the forum software doesn't support any mechanism to automatically return to a specific post being quoted in your response. What you can do though is click the quote link in the post you just made for that particular quote and it will take you there.

Thanks, I know the workaround... but that clicking the back button is precisely what I wanted shortcut...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#108    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 2,802 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well, here are my complaints...

None.  :tu:

Works ok, looks nicer, have noticed a few improvements, speed is quicker (slightly) on my (slow) connection - all in all I think you have done a dam fine job!  My experience with upgrades at other forums has been less than satisfying at times...

And you even timed the changeover for when I was asleep - thanks!

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#109    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,400 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hey...I came around to check out the site upgrade, after my brief sabbatical from the forums. It's looking good and the layout is spectacular, but site downloading time is slower for me. I'm wondering anyone else wasn't able to view the site and leave a post caused by the upgrade and other changes may not go well for certain PC's or net serves might be causing it.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#110    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostMike the Autist-ic, on 01 May 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Hey...I came around to check out the site upgrade, after my brief sabbatical from the forums. It's looking good and the layout is spectacular, but site downloading time is slower for me. I'm wondering anyone else wasn't able to view the site and leave a post caused by the upgrade and other changes may not go well for certain PC's or net serves might be causing it.

I've been having a really hard time getting on at work. And when I was able to get on I couldn't post for a couple days. It seems to be getting better day by day but I still haven't gotten any email notifications since the upgrade. I don't know if anyone has addressed that issue. I haven't gone through this entire thread. It looks great and I think it's going to be really nice once all the bugs get worked out.

#111    frenat

frenat

Poltergeist

• 2,889 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostSaru, on 01 May 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

What I usually do is right click the quote button of the post I'm quoting and click to open in a new tab.  Then I still have a tab open to the post I was quoting AND a tab open to the new post I made.

-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
-Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
-If I wanted to pay for commercials I couldn't skip I'd sign up for Hulu Plus.
-There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law

#112    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

It says I have I have one "like" preference, on my profile...but I can't figure out how to see who that is, or how to respond? Help!

Posted Image

#113    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I wonder if my problem getting on the forum after the upgrade was that I was using a link from and email from before the upgrade. Since I've opened a new tab and came onto the forum through search it seems to be working great. A lot faster than it used to be.

#114    arenee

arenee

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• I wish I was more witty; then this might say something funny.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 01 May 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

It says I have I have one "like" preference, on my profile...but I can't figure out how to see who that is, or how to respond? Help!
If you go to your profile on the left it says likes. Click it and it'll show you the posts you've liked. There is also a tab for received. That'll tell you what posts you made that were liked and who liked them.

My apologies if this is not what you were talking about and its probably not my place to respond...I've just become quite the fan of the like button.

"A valuable contributor to UM! Always enjoy her clever and often original outlook. - Paxus"

#115    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,267 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

One thing I have noticed is that the indication of whether you've posted in a particular thread seems to have gone. That was useful, since I don't subscribe to threads or anything like that.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#116    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Noted a bug: when you edit you return to the first post of the thread.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#117    arenee

arenee

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• I wish I was more witty; then this might say something funny.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 May 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Noted a bug: when you edit you return to the first post of the thread.
I noticed that too, drove me crazy.

"A valuable contributor to UM! Always enjoy her clever and often original outlook. - Paxus"

#118    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,811 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Update:
  • The number of replies are now visible again to users who aren't logged in.
Spell checker in Firefox issue:

If you are using Firefox and the browser's spell checker is not working when you are writing a post then the following should fix it:
  • Right-click within the editor
  • Select "Languages" and select "English / United States" or your preferred language
  • Make sure "Check spelling" is also checked
Usually this is done automatically however in some modern versions of Firefox this needs to be explicitly selected when using certain editors, once you have done this once you shouldn't need to do it again to keep the spell checker functioning on this site.

#119    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,552 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for that about the Firefox spellcheck, it's working for me now :tu:

About the "edit" button, I'm having the same problem as mentioned just above - when an edit is submitted the next screen goes back to the first post on page 1.  Any way to fix this so that it goes back to the edited post itself?

Edited by Paranoid Android, 01 May 2012 - 10:05 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#120    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,755 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

BUG: Every time I try to reply in the quick reply box, the cursor randomly jumps to the beginning of the line, mid-sentence. Its quite frustrating.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users