Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Forum update progress

update

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#211    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

I actually hope that the like button will come back, it added something to the forum, a way of expressing ourselves and sharing opinions.

#212    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Any news yet on the like button?

#213    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,481 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Have patience, people, the "like" button has only been gone for a day.

Saru needs to install a patch to the site. He has done a huge amount of work and still has a lot to do.

Whilst the "like" button was a nice addition it is not really important. The "like" button was slowing the site down unacceptably.

Would you rather have a slow, poorly running site with a "like" button? Would it really make that much difference if it didn't return at all?

I would suggest that anyone that answers yes to either of those questions should really look at their reasons for making a post in the first place.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#214    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Geez Waspie I only asked if there was any news on it.  Bite my head off will you?

#215    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Also, post I made yesterday acknowledging all of Saru's hard work:

Well I'm glad to know where the like button has gone. Hope we can keep it as I use it a lot instead of posting (not that it is noticeable) lol

Great job on the update.

Saru, I don't know when you sleep. I suspect you are a robot.

I love the new look and everything is super fast for me with Firefox.

Once again, great work and thank you for a tremendous site and splendid tolerance of me.

The site ran fast and smoothly for me since the update with or without the button.  I can take it or leave it.  As I don't run a website I don't know what all is involved in installing a patch.  So excuse my ignorance and impatience.

#216    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,244 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Waspie's comment was only a general notice about what's happening, it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

The like system won't be back until next week at the very earliest, i'll be posting updates in this thread when i know more.

#217    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,821 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Saru, on 17 May 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

Update:

The 'like' system has been disabled for the time being as it appears to be contributing heavily to server performance issues, internally it has produced a cache table containing several million records and this produces long wait times when viewing threads, especially long threads with hundreds of pages. The result is that the more time passes with the 'likes' enabled, the slower things get until the forum becomes practically unusable.

I'm going to bring this up with Invision support and see if there's a way we can keep the 'like' system without this happening. We have been archiving some of the largest threads on the boards and while this does help overall performance it isn't enough on its own to counter the problem.

Crap, I wanted to " like " this reply.....

Saru, I have not said it, other than in my head.....Site looks great, thanks for the hard work, and time.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#218    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Eclipsed

• 10,362 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Sakari, on 18 May 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Saru, I have not said it, other than in my head.....Site looks great, thanks for the hard work, and time.

This ^ ^ :tsu:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#219    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,821 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Youtube videos no longer showing, just the link....

http://www.youtube.c...v=Ysvn2JDzVw8#!

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#220    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,244 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Your link is to the embedded player version of the video, it needs to point to the full video URL to work - i.e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysvn2JDzVw8

#221    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,821 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Saru, on 19 May 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Your link is to the embedded player version of the video, it needs to point to the full video URL to work - i.e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysvn2JDzVw8

Ok, thanks....Strange, copied and pasted how I have the others I had posted before.....The video was on another news story, I had clicked on " watch on youtube ", and used youtubes link after that.......Something to watch out for..Thanks again Saru.

Edited by Sakari, 19 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#222    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,244 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Actually i think the problem in this case is the "#!" you've got on the end of the link, try it without that.

#223    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,821 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Saru, on 19 May 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Actually i think the problem in this case is the "#!" you've got on the end of the link, try it without that.

I think you were right...I edited my reply above :)

Using the " watch on you tube " link ( after directed to youtube from it ) the address is different than if I just search that video title and go to it......Somehow must have directed me to the embed link.

It worked using a different link......

Edited by Sakari, 19 May 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#224    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

the like buttons gone :/ Posted Image

#225    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,930 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

it's still doing it. When i tried to post something just now, twice the three little dots went back & forth but it didn't come up, so I had to open it again and copy & paste it.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users