Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Coca-Cola drinking linked to woman's death

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,346 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

tvnz.co.nz said:

The sister of a woman whose partner claimed she died because she drank too much Coca-Cola says she does not hold the company responsible.

However, the woman's partner and mother-in-law say warning labels should be put on the drink.

An inquest for mother-of-eight Natasha Harris was held in Invercargill yesterday. Harris died on February 25, 2010.

Otago-Southland coroner David Crerar did not make any preliminary findings after yesterday's inquest, however pathologist Dan Mornin said he believed Harris died of cardiac arrhythmia and it was likely she was suffering from hypokalemia (low potassium) along with caffeine toxicity, which could have contributed to her death.

When asked by Crerar whether it was probable her consumption of Coca-Cola had caused the hypokalemia and arrhythmia, Dr Mornin said yes, along with poor nutrition and caffeine.

At the inquest, Harris' partner, Chris Hodgkinson, said his partner consumed between 4.5 and 8 litres of Coke a day for several years before her death, and he believed this had contributed to her death.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,799 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

The young lady definitely had a problem with sugar and caffeine.  Sad to die from such excess but hardly a reason to include a warning on labels.  I did not realize a person could die from over consumption of water.  I drink WAY too much diet coke.  Time to put the brakes on that bad habit!  Thank you for posting.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Tragic.

Eight kids? I thought those days were over.... :(

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

View Postand then, on 20 April 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

The young lady definitely had a problem with sugar and caffeine.  Sad to die from such excess but hardly a reason to include a warning on labels.  I did not realize a person could die from over consumption of water.  I drink WAY too much diet coke.  Time to put the brakes on that bad habit!  Thank you for posting.
Diet sodas are much worse than regular.
The aspartame,sodium,dye,and caffiene ,are a deadly combination .
Reg stuff has high fructose corn syrup,caffiene ,and dye
If it conatined plain sugar,even thats healthier than high fructose corn syrup
Do iced teas and lemonade,with plain old sugar,or club soda.

Miss me?

#5    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

8 litres of Coke a day, that's a big habit.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,346 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postand then, on 20 April 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I drink WAY too much diet coke.
I don't drink it at all, diet or regular. I'm not too keen on coke.

Edited by Still Waters, 21 April 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Posted Image

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,478 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 21 April 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

I don't drink it at all, diet or regular. I'm not too keen on coke.

At last... someone who also ain't keen on coke.  Thought I was only one in Europe.  :)

(I was nearly lynched once by tweens for saying I though Dr Pepper was foulest soft drink I'd ever tasted.  Like day-old, already chewed chewing gum.  I dunno why I felt the need to share that but I feel better for doing so.)

Edited by Eldorado, 21 April 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#8    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,346 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostEldorado, on 21 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

At last... someone who also ain't keen on coke.  Thought I was only one in Europe.  :)

(I was nearly lynched once by tweens for saying I though Dr Pepper was foulest soft drink I'd ever tasted.  Like day-old, already chewed chewing gum.  I dunno why I felt the need to share that but I feel better for doing so.)
:tu:

I prefer a glass of milk straight from the fridge over any type of soft drink.

Posted Image

#9    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,842 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

I can deal with Pepsi Max on occasion but recently I have rediscovered *drum roll*  Cordial :w00t: .  Lime especially, it is actually thirst quenching and it comes in diet, makes me feel like a kid again, all I needs is one of those crazy twirly straws :lol: .

Mind you, regard the topic.

Too much sugar
Too much caffeine
AND
8 Litres a day has gotta be waaaay too much fluid as well - it's a wonder she didn't drown.:o

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#10    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I do like the taste of coca-cola, but unfortunately I get acid-reflux if I drink any kind of fizzy drink... still, a healthy balance in all 'intake' is of course the way to go. I have a friend at my Work who claims she is addicted to coca-cola though.

Posted Image

#11    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,234 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

So if you read the article you can see that it wasn't only the coca-cola that was the problem... this poor woman had high stress and exhaustion raising 8 children (presumably all of them are pretty young considering she was only 30), she ate VERY poorly or not at all, she smoked a pack and a half of cigs a day... she'd been having health problems for quite some time. Death by Coca-Cola isn't exactly accurate... it's more like death by malnutrition. Although, no one should drink 2 gallons of soda a day... no one shoud drink 2 gallons of anything a day. Probably not even 2 gallons of water.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#12    Jennzie

Jennzie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I prefer IZZE Sparkling Juice in the clementine flavor.

Tasty and refreshing. :)

#13    Jennzie

Jennzie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 21 April 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

So if you read the article you can see that it wasn't only the coca-cola that was the problem... this poor woman had high stress and exhaustion raising 8 children (presumably all of them are pretty young considering she was only 30), she ate VERY poorly or not at all, she smoked a pack and a half of cigs a day... she'd been having health problems for quite some time. Death by Coca-Cola isn't exactly accurate... it's more like death by malnutrition. Although, no one should drink 2 gallons of soda a day... no one shoud drink 2 gallons of anything a day. Probably not even 2 gallons of water.

Yes, I think that would be the perfect formula for a very early death.

And she was only 30 and had EIGHT kids?? Did one of her pregnancies consist of quintuplets or some other multiple birth?

#14    soldier4death

soldier4death

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

• Believe me, you don't want me believing there isn't a GOD.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Never drink cola myself. Nothing beats the refreshing taste of good ol water.

"Use your real eyes to realize these real lies."

#15    SikFly

SikFly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Moderation people, moderation. Too much of anything can be harmful to your physical and/or mental health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users