Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cryobots Could Drill Into Icy Moons

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,581 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

www.wired.com said:

Future extraterrestrial rovers may be powered remotely by high-energy laser beams shot through miles of thin fiber-optic cables. This new technology could allow robotic probes to penetrate thick layers of ice to explore Antarctic lakes or the subterranean oceans on icy moons like Europa or Enceladus, and even power a new kind of rocket into space.

“Our modest goal over the next three years is to use a 5,000-watt laser to send a cryobot through up to 250 meters of ice,” inventor and explorer Bill Stone, who presented the new concept today at NASA’s Astrobiology Science Conference in Atlanta, told Wired. “All the data show there are no show-stoppers for doing that. But from my standpoint, this is child’s play compared to what we could do.”

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

It would be fascinating to see video beamed back to earth of an alien world's ocean, and possibly its alien aquatic life-forms. Only wish it was on the way there now!

#3    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I agree 'Sundew'. it would be fricken awesome lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users