Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Two heads not better than one, research says

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,938 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

People are better at answering difficult, unexpected or creative questions on their own rather than in group discussion, new research has suggested.

A study by scientists found that individuals could be better at problem solving on their own, as long as they were confident in their own answers.

When they attempted to answer in groups, those who offered the right answer tended to be drowned out by more confident members who confused them or led them astray, the research found.

The findings suggest the old adage “too many cooks spoil the broth” could indeed be more accurate than “two heads are better than one”, as people are better off thinking for themselves.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    AmpleFyre

AmpleFyre

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think this is more of something that depends on the person involved. To me, it seems more likely that some people work/think better on their own, while others would be better in a group.

#3    pestilent1

pestilent1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostDeltaEcho, on 21 April 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

I think this is more of something that depends on the person involved. To me, it seems more likely that some people work/think better on their own, while others would be better in a group.
Did you come up with that on your own? ;-)

#4    PsiSeeker

PsiSeeker

Omerta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

"A study by scientists found that individuals could be better at problem solving on their own, as long as they were confident in their own answers."  

When they attempted to answer in groups, those who offered the right answer tended to be drowned out by more confident members who confused them or led them astray, the research found.

Humans are conformist...  It's only logical to assume that when the wrong answer is offered by a populace that is wrong, on average, then the result will be wrong, on average, regardless of the smaller percentage which hold the correct answer.

The question I would ask the people carrying out this test case is this.  Is there an average decrease in correct answers of the questions asked when the people who were most confident in their answered were removed from the test group...?

On a side note.  When talking about general trivia it will almost always be more beneficial to have two heads instead of one.  When talking about complex reasoning however one person is better.  (Assuming they know their subject matter AND that the average group taken into consideration has a lesser understanding of said person regarding said subject matter)

An illusion is an illusion.  The key difference between the two is that one is limited by time and the other by perception.

#5    Oen Anderson

Oen Anderson

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• We are all individuals and we are all special in our own unique way which really makes us quite ordinary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

At a seminar one time the speaker said synergy is like if you have an idea and I have an idea we each only have one idea.  But if we share our ideas we each now have two ideas.  I spoke up and said, "Yes, we have your bad idea and my good idea, I think I'll keep my idea to myself thank you."

#6    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

Ok give me a difficult question to solve. Actually I believe that two heads are better than.A problem shared is a problem halved. So prof Asher gets his 10 minutes of glory spouting out so much nonsense.We get a lot of useless theories on unexplained - mysteries. Well at least I find them amusing.

#7    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Two heads are great but one head generally is much more decisive. If you don't truly believe in what you're doing you will not put as much effort into it.
Doesn't play well with others.

#8    WilliamW

WilliamW

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Heal The Beast

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

We all have something to offer and when maps are shared we can find gems of information which confirm or inspire us to dig deeper.
Remove the impulse to compete.  Remain open minded/hearted.

Some things which are shared by others can act as confirmation that one is 'on the right track' even if what is shared only confirms that there are POVs which are static and non interested in any contrary information to their own beliefs.

Always be an individual and realize that interdependence is real and does not falsify individuality.  We have our part to play and play our part and we can always learn new lines.

Remember - what we are told we are is not necessarily who we are, and who we are is an individual choice as to whether we each accept someones else's interpretation or follow a path to discover for our self.  At some point along this path, we know longer seek to know who we are.  That is discovered.  

As for 'button pushes' if you feel that what someone has said is either generally or unmistakably directed at you, 'causes' you to react in ways which 'suck you into that game' - take time out to examine within your psyche the source of that 'button' and deactivate it.  In this you will discover that no one actually 'caused' you to react in any way at all...you simply chose to react that way.  Also in this way, the button pusher was relying on predictably results using manipulative techniques.  Your reaction may help that individual to stop with that already and adopt more appropriate communication techniques, but if not, what is that to you?

:)

#9    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Cash Cab! You have to love when the person with the right answer is steered away by others to a wrong answer and they lose lol. I do like seeing people win though. Maybe because I think it could be me.

So let me get this right, the person who has the right answer but is unconfident will get drowned out by those with the wrong answer but who have more confidence? So is confidence the key to success or what? It seems to help with everything else, having people tell you yes, getting dates, clearing that hurdle you cannot see, etc...

Edited by Lookitisoneofthosepeople, 30 May 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#10    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

There's an old adage in engineering circles, "You know what an elephant is? It's a mouse designed by a committee."

You simply don't get the great leaps forward in technology because too many people will want to play it safe and new designs require risk and the ability to accept the negative consequences when it doesn't work out the way you thought it might.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users