Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A deepening of faith

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,619 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

A deepening of faith

To fear new input that can change one belief system, especially if it make it deeper and broader, can be frightening and many turn from this.  Anxiety is normal when a world view is being challenged and moved around a bit....by being patient things will settle.  No need to react, just let things sink in.  Our faith needs to deepen as we age.  One way for it to deepen is to understand how little we actually know.  This can take us deeper into our faith and help us to embrace a deeper trust in God's presence and love.  Those who fear doubt, or a deepening of their faith, can come across as angry and rigid, which I believe is a fear of ones own doubt. Doubt is a normal part of faith.  We either study and ponder, or we just walk away.  To ponder is the way to enrich ones life and the lives of others.

Edited by markdohle, 20 April 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#2    danydandan

danydandan

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

• Deus iudex est meus

super omnes familia

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

Well said

"And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

#3    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,619 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Postdanydandan, on 21 April 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

Well said

Thanks, I speak from my own struggles  :yes:

Peace
mark

#4    jivens

jivens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

The fearing of God is the "beginning of wisdom".  That's why questioning God and being mad at God is not deemed as a sin, because he wants you to turn to him in times of need and lay everything upon him (funny how this happens when there is a natural disaster or a terrorist attack such as 9/11). Jesus himself upon the cross said "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" God is loving and all encompassing, he wants you to spend eternity with him!

#5    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,619 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Postjivens, on 28 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

The fearing of God is the "beginning of wisdom".  That's why questioning God and being mad at God is not deemed as a sin, because he wants you to turn to him in times of need and lay everything upon him (funny how this happens when there is a natural disaster or a terrorist attack such as 9/11). Jesus himself upon the cross said "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" God is loving and all encompassing, he wants you to spend eternity with him!

All I can say is AMEN!

Peace
mark

#6    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Maybe we study and ponder and still walk away...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#7    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 28 April 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Maybe we study and ponder and still walk away...

Of course, those who do that are free.  It is aburd to think that everyone will come to the same conclusion after they study anykind of problem.  What works for some does not for others.  Bottome line, we choose.  Even my being an agnostic is in some ways a choice not to choose, which is a choice none the less.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#8    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

View Postjivens, on 28 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

One of the main differences between most people and Jesus is that Jesus directly experienced God(?), way before he was crucified and practically throughout his life. Apparently, Jesus was made a vessel of "that" power; he accepted the task and its consequences. He was baptized, after all, and suddenly "...the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon him..."

Before Jesus' actual death, he completely surrendered his free will to God...perhaps in order to become truly one with God(?). "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

I agree: calamities sometimes make some people seek  higher, otherworldly power; however, Jesus' experience is not the same. Many people court God(?), try to be on His good side...without actually making a direct in-yer-face contact. Many people court God(?) to gain things. Vessels, on the other hand, serve God by serving the world and try to surrender to His moment-to-moment will, consciously. "Thy will be done..."

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#9    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

View Postbraveone2u, on 02 May 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

One of the main differences between most people and Jesus is that Jesus directly experienced God(?), way before he was crucified and practically throughout his life. Apparently, Jesus was made a vessel of "that" power; he accepted the task and its consequences. He was baptized, after all, and suddenly "...the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon him..."

Before Jesus' actual death, he completely surrendered his free will to God...perhaps in order to become truly one with God(?). "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

I agree: calamities sometimes make some people seek  higher, otherworldly power; however, Jesus' experience is not the same. Many people court God(?), try to be on His good side...without actually making a direct in-yer-face contact. Many people court God(?) to gain things. Vessels, on the other hand, serve God by serving the world and try to surrender to His moment-to-moment will, consciously. "Thy will be done..."

Thank you for sharing, good thoughts my friend.  I will continue to ponder what you have said.

peace
mark

View Postlolly147, on 02 May 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

During the month of January, I'll be sharing several tips to help you get off to a strong start this New Year. Each tip offers a simple yet profound way to deepen your Christian walk of faith.

• elders, house group leaders and emerging leaders in churches
  • those who are thinking about the possibility of studying at Bible college and who want to know more before they commit themselves
  • thinking Christians who want to go deeper in their faith and to improve their understanding of the Bible and theology.

Looking forward to what you have to say.

peace
mark

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,846 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 20 April 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

A deepening of faith

To fear new input that can change one belief system, especially if it make it deeper and broader, can be frightening and many turn from this.  Anxiety is normal when a world view is being challenged and moved around a bit....by being patient things will settle.  No need to react, just let things sink in.  Our faith needs to deepen as we age.  One way for it to deepen is to understand how little we actually know.  This can take us deeper into our faith and help us to embrace a deeper trust in God's presence and love.  Those who fear doubt, or a deepening of their faith, can come across as angry and rigid, which I believe is a fear of ones own doubt. Doubt is a normal part of faith.  We either study and ponder, or we just walk away.  To ponder is the way to enrich ones life and the lives of others.

"fear of ones own doubt"

I llove this part. There is seriouse self reflection in those words.

I have often and counciled to ignore a part of yourself that you may not like is to give it power. Evil deeds come from those who ignore their own darkness.

Shedding light on the underlining things that we tend to hide from is the only way to overcome them.

Well said my friend.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#11    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,619 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 02 May 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

"fear of ones own doubt"

I llove this part. There is seriouse self reflection in those words.

I have often and counciled to ignore a part of yourself that you may not like is to give it power. Evil deeds come from those who ignore their own darkness.

Shedding light on the underlining things that we tend to hide from is the only way to overcome them.

Well said my friend.

Thank you my friend.

peace
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users