Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Is Stanton Friedman reliable?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

• “I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.”
    ― P.T. Barnam

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Just been reading his book on MJ-12 and I must say it's so full of special pleading as to make it unbelievable. Someone was out of the country, but his assistant might have sent a memo in his name. Someone else might have lifted a signature from somewhere else, etc. He's obviously a very clever guy, so why does he believe it?

#2    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,009 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

He was a 'nuclear physicist' back in the 70's (40 years ago) & since then has pounded the UFO circuit. Guess there's more money doing the circuit.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#3    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Stanton Friedman is a charlatan, period.

http://www.roswellfi...OnFriedman1.htm

http://www.roswellfi...OnFriedman3.htm

Edited by Hazzard, 21 April 2012 - 01:18 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#4    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Well one must ask  ? How much has he made in sales,and talks ? Then one should require Is there ever been any proof in the Findings? :rolleyes:

This is a Work in Progress!

#5    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 21 April 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

Well one must ask  ? How much has he made in sales,and talks ? Then one should require Is there ever been any proof in the Findings? :rolleyes:
and the downside to becoming famous via Ufology, requires one to be fringe-full. The skeptics hardly make a name for themselves. I guess since there is no smoking gun, one can only make book sales if they spread disinformation or outright lies. Even if it starts as a mere opinion, such as Friedman, fringies take these opinions as fact or at the very least, hold it higher because of someone's supposed credentials. Since when does being a nuclear physicist = UFO expert?

UFO expert is the biggest oxymoron ever. The true "experts" are people like me and the rest of the level-headed researchers (saving their opinion till there is actual proof). Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer on some level, but I still need the one measly morsel of proof to state it as a fact. An expert is one who can look at a case for what it is, not for what it isn't. My point is, if fraudulent, even once, you should just kill yourself. Save the world of your corrupt motives. :w00t:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#6    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostMentalcase, on 21 April 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

and the downside to becoming famous via Ufology, requires one to be fringe-full. The skeptics hardly make a name for themselves. I guess since there is no smoking gun, one can only make book sales if they spread disinformation or outright lies. Even if it starts as a mere opinion, such as Friedman, fringies take these opinions as fact or at the very least, hold it higher because of someone's supposed credentials. Since when does being a nuclear physicist = UFO expert?

UFO expert is the biggest oxymoron ever. The true "experts" are people like me and the rest of the level-headed researchers (saving their opinion till there is actual proof). Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer on some level, but I still need the one measly morsel of proof to state it as a fact. An expert is one who can look at a case for what it is, not for what it isn't. My point is, if fraudulent, even once, you should just kill yourself. Save the world of your corrupt motives. :w00t:
I hear ya  Mental ! :rolleyes:

#7    Paul Rubino

Paul Rubino

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 190 posts

• http://www.illuminutti.com - fun with conspiracies and conspiracists

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostHazzard, on 21 April 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Who is Brad Sparks? I love what he wrote, i want to link to his pages, but i never heard of him. :blush:

#8    Paul Rubino

Paul Rubino

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 190 posts

• http://www.illuminutti.com - fun with conspiracies and conspiracists

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostHazzard, on 21 April 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Is this the same Brad Sparks at THIS LINK?

#9    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Is Stanton Friedman reliable?!?!?  OF COURSE HE IS!!!

You can rely on him to keep on pushing his UFOlogy stance regardless of any counter evidence.  You can rely on him to avoid answering direct questions when they are posed to him, and instead suggesting that you should read one or another of his books.  You can rely on him making the same lame jokes when he is at the podium speaking at conferences in the UFO circuit.  You can rely on him padding his faux credibility with the same decade's old credentials that didn't really amount to much even decades ago.  You can rely on him for a great many things! :tu: And I've only touched on a few of them here.

Good ol' reliable Stan. :P

And if you aren't careful, he just might write a book about you...

#10    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

• “I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.”
    ― P.T. Barnam

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 22 April 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

Is Stanton Friedman reliable?!?!?  OF COURSE HE IS!!!

You can rely on him to keep on pushing his UFOlogy stance regardless of any counter evidence.  You can rely on him to avoid answering direct questions when they are posed to him, and instead suggesting that you should read one or another of his books.  You can rely on him making the same lame jokes when he is at the podium speaking at conferences in the UFO circuit.  You can rely on him padding his faux credibility with the same decade's old credentials that didn't really amount to much even decades ago.  You can rely on him for a great many things! :tu: And I've only touched on a few of them here.

Good ol' reliable Stan. :P

And if you aren't careful, he just might write a book about you...

I've also heard that he can be quite litigious, too.

#11    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thats true Flibbertgibbet ! and they have med`s for that Good ole` Stanton Fry-d-Man ! he`s got a soft spot right in his soft spot !
WHere`s my HElmut Sweetpumper? :w00t:

#12    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 22 April 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Thats true Flibbertgibbet ! and they have med`s for that Good ole` Stanton Fry-d-Man ! he`s got a soft spot right in his soft spot !
WHere`s my HElmut Sweetpumper? :w00t:

The aliens made his brain, FRIEDMAN!! :devil: :alien:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#13    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,929 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 21 April 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

Just been reading his book on MJ-12 and I must say it's so full of special pleading as to make it unbelievable. Someone was out of the country, but his assistant might have sent a memo in his name. Someone else might have lifted a signature from somewhere else, etc. He's obviously a very clever guy, so why does he believe it?

Hi Fibber',

As BooNy correctly mentions, Mr. Friedman is indeed very reliable, albeit not in the sense that would benefit the field of UFOlogy (or any other field of research, for that matter). I think a better question would be "Is Stanton Friedman credible?" and the answer would be a big, resounding no. He has long ago sacrificed all scientific credibility on the altar of fame and fortune. The links Hazz provided are pretty telling and unfortunately they paint a very good picture of Mr. Friedman's modus operandi.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#14    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

I think it depends on what Mr Friedman finds interesting, Like all of us, he is human, and has interests, some which appeal more than others. MJ-12 is something he firmly believes in, and I have to admit he has made extensive research efforts, yet still, not enough to call the documents genuine. Stanton Friedman did manage to catch out the notorious Philip J Klass on MJ-12 with concerns to a certain typeface used by Government departments at the time. Klass claimed lexicographic inconsistencies based on the use of Pica typeface in the Cutler/Twining memo and offered $100 in a challenge to Stanton Friedman, for each legitimate example of the use of the same style and size Pica type as used in the memo. Friedman provided 14 examples and was paid $1,000 by Klass. - LINK - Letter outlining the bet (and others that Mr Friedman refused to accept) This did not cost Uncle Phil a cent as Mr Friedman had accepted the $10,000.00 Klass challenge which remains uncollected today. The money Mr Fridman had been paying that bet of with was won back with this bet.
Which would indicated thoroughness, yet on his latest work co authored with Kathleen Marden (Science was wrong), he makes all kinds of errors and refuses to touch Tesla saying "he is too"complicated". He twists the situation regarding the Wright Brothers around something shocking when he says that science was trying to stop them, when what he should have said was that Lord Kelvin driven by the media made some foolish comments, Science gave the Wright brothers everything they needed to take flight but silly tales like this bury the important role science played. There are quite some more sloppy inconsistencies, but this is not a thread about hat book. Suffice to say I think Mr Fridman can investigate with the best of them, but I do not feel that is what he does too often. One gets the strongt impression that he rests on his laurels a little too much. And he cannot be forgiven for inventing Roswell Aliens.
So we can see one thorough example, and one very sloppy example. Personally, I feel he is quite arrogant and dismissive his interview in the bent spoon was not very polite, by his own admission he woud go to engagements and start out with "I am a nuclear physicist" and people would just listen to him because of that. He loved that, but personally I find it rather distasteful.
Each to their own, for me, Stanton is one that canot be taken seriously. He knows that he does not have to work hard because of his title, and he plays on that. Not straight up enough for me. I do not respect him at all for being the nuclear physicist who messes with UFOlogy, I would have been much more impressed with a UFOlogist that we happened to find out is a nuclear physicist. But in the end, it is hard to get over how he messed up Roswell. It will be a long time before anyone should forgive him for that.

The question you ask in your OP, I often wonder of Tom Cruise and his merry band of scientologists. Lets face it, we all know the Universe is not the age they say it is, and Xenu in what was it again? Jet powered DC9's? It is so incredibly easy to see this plot is something Hubbard created from his mind, yet these cretins push it to people like you and I fully knowing what they push is an outright lie. Tom Cruise cannot possibly be stupid enough to believe the Xenu story and be where he is today. People that stupid do not make that sort of money, they get fools to believe crap like this and collect their money to make them rich. So how can people look Tom Cruise on the face, and not punch him right in the mouth?

Edited by psyche101, 23 April 2012 - 04:25 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 23 April 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

Hi Fibber',

As BooNy correctly mentions, Mr. Friedman is indeed very reliable, albeit not in the sense that would benefit the field of UFOlogy (or any other field of research, for that matter). I think a better question would be "Is Stanton Friedman credible?" and the answer would be a big, resounding no. He has long ago sacrificed all scientific credibility on the altar of fame and fortune. The links Hazz provided are pretty telling and unfortunately they paint a very good picture of Mr. Friedman's modus operandi.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Hi Bade

Ahh but you have a way with words!!

Indeed that is the question!

Cheers.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users