Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Animism - polytheism - monotheism - atheism

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

When the human race was young spirits were legion and numberless, and controlled every aspect of life and nature. Later this changed, and in the classical civilisations we have a dozen or so named gods with distinct personalities elevated above the myriad spirits and accorded special status. Later still these were whittled down to just one, with the others demoted to be his helpers. So from an uncountable multitude we went to a dozen or so, then one, and the next logical stage was none at all, or atheism. Perhaps these are all natural stages in our evolution and progression as a species. What's next?

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

We're already at "next".

It's called 'humanism', where we are our own god.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 22 April 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

We're already at "next".

It's called 'humanism', where we are our own god.

I have a feeling it's going full cycle, and the next stage after that will be a type of revamped animism. Maybe it'll have a different name, like environmentalism.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,909 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Meism.

Good is me, bad is you.

Survival of the fattest.

Edited by Eldorado, 22 April 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 22 April 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

I have a feeling it's going full cycle, and the next stage after that will be a type of revamped animism. Maybe it'll have a different name, like environmentalism.

Well, that would be nice.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 22 April 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

When the human race was young spirits were legion and numberless, and controlled every aspect of life and nature. Later this changed, and in the classical civilisations we have a dozen or so named gods with distinct personalities elevated above the myriad spirits and accorded special status. Later still these were whittled down to just one, with the others demoted to be his helpers. So from an uncountable multitude we went to a dozen or so, then one, and the next logical stage was none at all, or atheism. Perhaps these are all natural stages in our evolution and progression as a species. What's next?
What's next is the revelation that we have not been able to find god because we are looking at it in the mirror.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

Watch out, PA thinks this line of thinking is insulting.  I tried telling him the same when it came to growth, he took it as an insult.   :hmm:

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#8    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostMeiliken, on 23 April 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

Watch out, PA thinks this line of thinking is insulting.  I tried telling him the same when it came to growth, he took it as an insult.   :hmm:

Perhaps you did not mean to be insulting then, but calling him out here in a different topic is nothing but insulting and low, and there is no need for it.

Edited by Odin11, 23 April 2012 - 05:05 AM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#9    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostOdin11, on 23 April 2012 - 05:03 AM, said:

Perhaps you did not mean to be insulting then, but calling him out here in a different topic is nothing but insulting and low, and there is no need for it.

Actually it isn't.  It is giving fair warning to the OP and anyone that posts in here. :no:

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 22 April 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Or, respectfully, we have become so self aware that we naturally assume WE are god, just as Leonardo has stated.  Even though we have answers for an infinitesimally few of our questions.  I think it is a natural evolution in the sense that we have become "puffed up" with our pitiable cache of knowledge and therefore we have brought truth to Paul's statement to the Romans -  Romans 1:22:Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.
As a species we choose our own wisdom over what has been provided by God.  Once the dust settles on our last great war against each other, God will return to enforce His will on the remnant.  If He didn't we would perish.  Proof of this is that it is written that humanity will attempt to make war with God Himself.  
Considering the direction the world is heading in and the weapons we have at our disposal, I don't find those predictions too difficult to believe in.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#11    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

This line of thinking is problematic. It suggests that one type of belief is "more advanced" or "more evolved" than another. It suggests that one is more logical than another or that certain types of thoughts a "primitve." There is a lot of error in this type of thinking and many "primitive" religions seem much more logical than modern religions or methods of reasoning. And by the way this does not follow Darwin's theory of evolution unless you are using evolution in a different sense.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#12    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

View Postand then, on 23 April 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

[/b]

Or, respectfully, we have become so self aware that we naturally assume WE are god, just as Leonardo has stated.  Even though we have answers for an infinitesimally few of our questions.  I think it is a natural evolution in the sense that we have become "puffed up" with our pitiable cache of knowledge and therefore we have brought truth to Paul's statement to the Romans -  Romans 1:22:Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.
As a species we choose our own wisdom over what has been provided by God.  Once the dust settles on our last great war against each other, God will return to enforce His will on the remnant.  If He didn't we would perish.  Proof of this is that it is written that humanity will attempt to make war with God Himself.  
Considering the direction the world is heading in and the weapons we have at our disposal, I don't find those predictions too difficult to believe in.

I could quote "scriptures" from different religions that contradicted that, though.

#13    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 23 April 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

This line of thinking is problematic. It suggests that one type of belief is "more advanced" or "more evolved" than another. It suggests that one is more logical than another or that certain types of thoughts a "primitve." There is a lot of error in this type of thinking and many "primitive" religions seem much more logical than modern religions or methods of reasoning. And by the way this does not follow Darwin's theory of evolution unless you are using evolution in a different sense.

The "primitive" ones could be the better ones, and we have degenerated since then.

I never said anything about Darwin, who doesn't have a monopoly on evolution.

#14    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 23 April 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

The "primitive" ones could be the better ones, and we have degenerated since then.

I never said anything about Darwin, who doesn't have a monopoly on evolution.

You implied an "evolution" and did not state that ealier stages may have been "better." You did not say anything about Darwin but you also did not explain the term "evolution." There are many types of evolution and if you are going to use the term you should specify your definition or the theorist of whoms definition you are using. E. B. Tyler, who defined animism, used a totally different definition of evolution, the definition that Charles Lyell used. I do not want to put claims into your mouth but it might help to define what you mean better.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#15    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 23 April 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

You implied an "evolution" and did not state that ealier stages may have been "better." You did not say anything about Darwin but you also did not explain the term "evolution." There are many types of evolution and if you are going to use the term you should specify your definition or the theorist of whoms definition you are using. E. B. Tyler, who defined animism, used a totally different definition of evolution, the definition that Charles Lyell used. I do not want to put claims into your mouth but it might help to define what you mean better.

Evolution is a perfectly normal English word and doesn't need to be defined and restricted in terms of any particular theories. Everything evolves, including, say, fashion. That's got nothing to do with Darwin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users