Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pensioner kills 4ft rat and may be charged

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,355 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

A 'giant rat' measuring 4ft from nose to tail has been caught and killed by a pensioner with a lump of wood on his farm.

Brian Watson, 67, from Waskerley, Consett in County Durham, was made aware of the monster's presence after his granddaughter's boyfriend cried out while mowing the grass.

Mr Watson said: 'I heard him shouting there was a large rat. I came running round the corner. I managed to grab some wood on the way.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

They're going to investigate him for animal cruelty?  I'm sorry but you English are really weird sometimes.  (Not like Americans, totaly reasonable and normal 24/7)

#3    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

They wouldn't be able to prove if he killed it in a cruel manner. He can just claim he killed it with one knock to the head - which is how you're advised to kill fish (after you've pulled them from the water with a hook tearing them apart).

I'm all for a bit of socially acceptable cruelty when the situation calls for it.

Posted Image

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Well there was a child near by,and they can carry rabies,but it wasn't doing anything menacing.
I'm not sure how to feel about this .....

Miss me?

#5    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

I think they should had eaten it. I'd kill the thing if my kid was anywhere near, no doubt about it. But that don't mean I throw away the life I took. 4 feet rat is a lot of meat. Two questions about how would you feel in the afterlife if they did this to your lifeless physical husk:

A) Eat it? (be my quest. Then you dont have to eat some other living being so soon)
B) Be disrespectful to my body or me in this occasion? (no)

It's about faiths I guess... I believe animals have same souls and spirits we do, and plants too. Stones... they are petrified plants and animals, or some primordial matter that hasn't been in a more biological form yet. Off-topic. :P

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#6    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 April 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Well there was a child near by,and they can carry rabies,but it wasn't doing anything menacing.

Interestingly, rodents are some of the few mammals not know to transmit rabies to humans. That still doesn't make a 4 ft. long rat harmless though.

There's no way it was a coypu, as the article mentions.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#7    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

RSPCA should investigate real dramas rather than this story but maybe they are looking for publicity... I smell a rat :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#8    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 April 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Fortunately we have eradicated rabies in the UK so it would be most unlikely that this creature had rabies. :)

#9    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

The RSPCA certainly have mixed standards; they put down unwanted domestic animals on grounds of cost, then get involved in a case like this - not sure how one is supposed to kill any creature without cruelty...
Rats may carry Weils disease.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#10    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,842 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

I guess if they run across another one they should call the RSPCA to come get it? If this rat was pregnant, there must be another one around somewhere nearby. That would scare me half out of my wits. Rats in the UK may not carry rabies, but rats over here are known to attack people. Rats are amongst the animals that will look at a human as food. They will attack the weak, elderly and very young. Especially if there is a sizable number of them.

Edited by susieice, 29 April 2012 - 03:42 AM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#11    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

What he did was srong on so many levels.
He saw what he thought was a giant Rat, heavily pregnant, posing no threat to anyone by a river and he beat it to death with a piece of wood.
There is no rabies in the UK, this wasn't some home invader, he didn't drag it from the throat of a small child, it was a seemingly unique animal in the wild doing no harm to anyone.
So, was it a unique 'gaint'? Was it an escaped exotic pet? Who cares, he's nothing more than a cruel old git and he should have left it the hell alone or at worst called the RSPCA to investigate if he had determined that it was an escaped exotic.
I've been around a lot of wild rats and believe me, they don't have any love for humans. If that WAS a wild rat and it was about to give birth it would not have done so around people. I think it was more likely an escaped exotic, a pouched rat or similar. It was probobly a friendly pet and didn't think he was a threat.
I hope he gets 6 months!

And any idiots who think it wasn't an act of cruelty might want to use the same method of dispatch next time they need to have an ailing pet dog or cat put down.

Edited by Atlantia, 29 April 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#12    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Postsusieice, on 29 April 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

Rats are amongst the animals that will look at a human as food. They will attack the weak, elderly and very young. Especially if there is a sizable number of them.

Wake up you appear to be dreaming!

#13    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,842 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

You've obviously never been to New York City.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#14    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,596 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

I can understand the intensity of fear and loathing at the discovery of this creature, but I also feel a wee bit ashamed that as a species, we humans in contact with anything we see as abnormal or threatening immediately resort to killing.

What gives us the right to exact death on a creature simply because of our fear of it? Surely as thinking reasoning creatures, we could show some kind of rational acceptance and show some respect for the life of other creatures.
Maybe the size of the rat matters, maybe it doesn't, but surely a creature several times larger than it should be, is of interest to us if nothing else. :cry:

Posted Image

#15    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostOverSword, on 23 April 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

They're going to investigate him for animal cruelty?  I'm sorry but you English are really weird sometimes.  (Not like Americans, totaly reasonable and normal 24/7)

It's what happens when you let the Left rule the country since the 1960s, no matter which party or parties just so happen to be in power.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 03 May 2012 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users