Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Expedition to Seek Living Dinosaurs in Africa

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,536 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

news.yahoo.com said:

A young Missouri man has turned to the Internet in search of investors for his expedition into the remote jungles of Africa seeking to document undiscovered flora and fauna. That is not so unusual, but one of the creatures he hopes to find is: a living dinosaur.

The region Stephen McCullah, the organizer of the expedition, has chosen to explore is the reputed home of the Mokèlé-mbèmbé, a dinosaur-like creature said to be up to 35 feet long (11 meters), with brownish-gray skin and a long, flexible neck.Many locals believe that it lives in the caves it digs in riverbanks, and that the beast feeds on elephants, hippos and crocodiles.

McCullah posted his pitch on Kickstarter.com asking for $27,000 in donations so that he and his friends can launch the Newmac Expedition, "one of the first expeditions in this century with the goal of categorizing plant and animal species in the vastly unexplored Republic of the Congo." The preliminary four-man venture is slated to launch June 26.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,749 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

So basically me and couple of buds want some cash so we can go on a cool trip - and bring a tranq rifle if they'll let us.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Is June far enough out to let them collect the whole 27K? Sounds cool to me. Good luck to them.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• Credendo Vides, Seeing is Believing

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Damn it seems that i was  beaten to the punch, guess i will have to do another one after them :)

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#5    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,818 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

I also need $27,000 for an.... expedition....Posted Image

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 24 April 2012 - 01:34 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,513 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

Bigfoot in Hawaii expedition here I come !!!

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

$27000 wouldnt even pay for thier flights to Africa. I would be asking for a lot more than that. Add another nought onto the end and maybe it would be enough for a proper expedition

edit.....sorry, I hate typos :)

Edited by Englishgent, 24 April 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#8    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

He has high hopes ay? Going on a search to find a dinosaur, a canine sized spider AND man eating fish. Sort of reminds me of the Jumanji world.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,818 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 24 April 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

$27000 wouldnt even pay for thier flights to Africa. I would be asking for a lot more than that. Add another nought onto the end and maybe it would be enough for a proper expedition

edit.....sorry, I hate typos :)

Now, funding for a 3 month (i think they want to go for 3 months) expedition aside, half that 24,000 would be gone after round trip tickets to the Congo for a group of 4 (Don't remember of the article said 4, I'm just guessing).
$2600 apiece.

I think I might need 50,00 for my...uhh..."expedition" Posted Image

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 24 April 2012 - 02:51 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,749 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

View PostBorisIWantToKnow, on 23 April 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Damn it seems that i was  beaten to the punch, guess i will have to do another one after them :)
Maybe your expedition could be to find this expedition after t goes missing!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

There's some very funky stuff in the Congo,including cannibals I believe.Not the brightest idea.
Just my 2 cents

Miss me?

#12    Crypto2357

Crypto2357

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

"Though the team members largely lack formal education in biology or zoology, they "anticipate discovering hundreds of new insect, plant and fish species during the course of our research........Or being eaten and never heard of again"  (most likely scenario)

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,749 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Actually he just wants the cash to buy and old van, a couple bags of weed, and some Bonnaroo tickets.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#14    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,529 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

An Elephant swimming across a lake is the most likely scenario for Mokele Mbembe.These guys sound like a bunch of amateurs and they will probably never be heard from again.

#15    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,362 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 24 April 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

Maybe your expedition could be to find this expedition after t goes missing!

Worked for Stanley!  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users