Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dogheads (Cynocephali)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

View Posttailormaneinafog, on 24 April 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

This view is from the religious wise men of the time. A modern atheist/humanist is more likely to conclude that the 'dogheaded' men are a clever species of animal able to remain undetected by man. They presumably are highly skilled at remaining hidden in their secret lives and are mostly active at night.
you used "modern" here but Im sure you meant to use delusional

#17    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

In 500 years, there will likely be people gullible and impressionable enough to believe that certain elements of our pop culture like zombies and beautiful were-wolf fighting vampires were real.  I think this is nothing more than that.  A few stories that have may or even may not have had roots in some natural phenomenon or animal that have been embellished over the course of many retellings and now adopted by the cryptid community.  

I think its reasonable to assume that back in the day there were just as many people who were  *Snip* as there are now, and that they loved to tell a good tale around the campfire or dinner table.  

There were never people with dog-heads.  Just fun stories.  Fairy tales.

Edited by Karlis, 25 April 2012 - 06:29 AM.
UM FORUM RULES: 3c. Profanity: Do not use profanity, crude, vulgar language or attempt to intentionally bypass the profanity filter.

#18    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,673 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 24 April 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Medieval Europeans and Chinese, to name just a few, all had legends and stories of races of humans with the heads of dogs, the dogheads (cynocephali). These always lived slightly further away than it was praticable to travel, just beyond the fringes of the civilised world. Why were these stories so consistent across Europe and Asia? Not to be confused with werewovles, who were shapeshifters, dogheads were exactly what their name suggests. They wore clothes, had their own settlements and villages, and their own society. Sometimes they even came to live in the civilised world. There are legends that St Christopher was one of them, as some Byzantine icons show him.

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cynocephaly

I see no reason to believe this as anything but myth.
Unless, of course, they were super evolved intelligent were-hyrax-men.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#19    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 25 April 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

I see no reason to believe this as anything but myth.
Unless, of course, they were super evolved intelligent were-hyrax-men.
lol! (and 'women' of course)

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#20    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,673 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Posttailormaneinafog, on 26 April 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

lol! (and 'women' of course)

Right? We don't want to leave out the ladies!  ;)

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#21    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

we see a lot of this in egyptian murals etc, i don't think it's something meant to be interpreted as literal.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users