Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Plans for asteroid mining emerge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,607 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Details have been emerging of the plan by billionaire entrepreneurs to mine asteroids for their resources.

The multi-million-dollar plan would use robotic spacecraft to squeeze chemical components of fuel and minerals such as platinum and gold out of the rocks.

The founders include film director and explorer James Cameron as well as Google's chief executive Larry Page and its executive chairman Eric Schmidt.

They even aim to create a fuel depot in space by 2020.

However, several scientists have responded with scepticism, calling the plan daring, difficult and highly expensive.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

It sounds cool but they would have to min some pretty lucrative materials to make it worth the trip. Plus I hope James Cameron's mining ships don't bring back any aliens  :ph34r:

#3    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

is anyone eles sick of hearing all these plans that never happen?they landed on the moon 50 years ago they were gonna land on mars 30 years ago before i was born ,
im over it talk is cheap.

#4    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

there's a cheap and easy way to mine asteroid but a bit danger .

"rather than mining in space , we can bring it into earth for as long as we able to it slow down when it descend ."

this method is possible with our current technology

Edited by kobolds, 26 April 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#5    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hope these guys live to a ripe old age,it's gonna be years before these guys see any money back.That is if there is any money to be made using current technology.

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Postreggie2011, on 25 April 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

is anyone eles sick of hearing all these plans that never happen?they landed on the moon 50 years ago they were gonna land on mars 30 years ago before i was born ,
im over it talk is cheap.

Talk is cheap Reggie, but ideas have to star somewhere, what is common practice today was always just an idea at some point.

It might be a long way off but as my son would say it sounds "Awesome!!!!"

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#7    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I agree that everything starts off as an Idea, but to be fair there is a point regardless of how long it takes where you have to act and not twiddle your thumbs and play with yourself.

If there is in fact useful materials on Asteroids for us, then it could well in fact be worth the time and effort.

#8    ValkyrieVoice

ValkyrieVoice

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

• "Bubble, Bubble Toil And Trouble;
    Fire Burn, And Cauldron Bubble.
    Double, Double Toil And Trouble
    Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:26 AM

I think it's wonderful that they're going to mine asteroids. Besides, perhaps there's precious gems and minerals on the asteroids that we have yet to find and learn about that aren't here?

#9    catfishyeah

catfishyeah

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• All begin, and end with nothing.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hows this for an idea? Sure we could mine asteroids, but should we? I remember hearing this phrase from many people (and a game I play). "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." What if this whole thing becomes worthless? we find nothing but the common rock in asteroids? Looks like we just wasted time, and money that could've been spent on something more productive.

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postcatfishyeah, on 08 May 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

What if this whole thing becomes worthless? we find nothing but the common rock in asteroids? Looks like we just wasted time, and money that could've been spent on something more productive.
We already know that many asteroids are rich in valuable metals particularly iron. Most meteorites which reach the earth's surface originated in the asteroid belt. Using spectroscopy we can identify these metal rich asteroids from earth.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    catfishyeah

catfishyeah

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• All begin, and end with nothing.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

True. It's just one of the many possibilities in the continuum shift.

Nothing has changed, or ever will change. So we must change it.

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

View Postcatfishyeah, on 08 May 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

True. It's just one of the many possibilities in the continuum shift.
Actually no it isn't.

The beauty of science is that it relys on evidence and knowledge, not belief and guess work. We won't be picking asteroids at random and then getting disappointed when there is nothing there. We will be targeting asteroids where we know there is a return to be made.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    goodgodno

goodgodno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• Explore. Dream. Discover.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Can't see it happening myself...yet.  For god sake, I'm a mining consultant and recently a project was uneconmic literally because there was too much groundwater.  I'm not sure how they plan to mine using robots - they've only just figured out how to automate haul trucks on Earth and thats still in its infancy.

#14    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

View Postcatfishyeah, on 08 May 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Hows this for an idea? Sure we could mine asteroids, but should we? I remember hearing this phrase from many people (and a game I play). "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." What if this whole thing becomes worthless? we find nothing but the common rock in asteroids? Looks like we just wasted time, and money that could've been spent on something more productive.

As waspie said we can already determine what kinds of metals are in an asteriod. For instance we know of one asteriod that contains more gold in it than what we have mined from the earth in all of human history. The problem then becomes ok we can mine asteroids for all these rare metals however now they are no longer as rare so the price falls out.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#15    Daveisback

Daveisback

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• "My God! It's full of stars!"

- Dave Bowman, 2001: A space Odyssey, 2010: Odyssey Two

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Read "Mining the Sky" by John S Lewis it tells how it can be done.

"If you're going to be worried every time the universe doesn't make sense, you're going to be worried every moment of every day for the rest of your natural life."
- G'Kar, Babylon 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users