Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What planet is this?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    dragon15066

dragon15066

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• The Truth is all around you, hidden in plain site.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

My house faces east and I live in Western Pennsylvania. This light at night is amazingly bright. It is seen high in the sky, meaning above my house and behind it, just behind my house. I know it has to be a planet and I know someone knows what planet this is. In the video, I pull back the zoom so you can see the relation between the trees and the object. Please tell me what planet this.

Posted Image Dragon15066.blogspot.com

#2    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

I'm going to guess it is Venus. That is only a guess, though, as I'm pretty sure Venus is said to be the brightest of the planets, and the one that is most frequently seen in the night sky.

Edited by Angel Left Wing, 25 April 2012 - 04:09 AM.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Venus

Miss me?

#4    space11498

space11498

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• I AM CURIOUS AND AN AMATEUR RESEARCHER.I AM SOMETIMES NAUGHTY TOO...

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

I do think it is Venus.It can even be Mars,but I don't think it is 'amazingly bright'. :tu:

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain."- Dave Matthews Band
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend"- William Blake
"Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die."- Amelia Burr
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."- Marie Curie
"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."- Shakespeare

#5    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Venus is quite low in the western sky and only visible for a relatively short time after the sun sets.

The other planets easily visible before midnight are Mars and Saturn. These would be high in the sky, with Mars slightly higher from where you are. But neither of these outshines the stars the way Venus does. The brightest star, Sirius, is still quite high in the sky as it gets dark. It's the first to become apparent at dusk.

Edited by Arbenol68, 25 April 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#6    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Try this program. Stellarium

Just plug in your coordinates (or city) and it will give you the names and position of nearly any celestial body. If you're interested in what you can see at night then I can't recommend this program enough. :tu:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#7    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Jupiter has been very bright over the last few months. Moreso than venus which is often seen nearby.

edit...check out the photo gallery, Natural Phenonemon,  top of first page,  photo by Sarah_444

Edited by Englishgent, 25 April 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

View Postdragon15066, on 25 April 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

My house faces east and I live in Western Pennsylvania. This light at night is amazingly bright. It is seen high in the sky, meaning above my house and behind it, just behind my house. I know it has to be a planet and I know someone knows what planet this is. In the video, I pull back the zoom so you can see the relation between the trees and the object. Please tell me what planet this.

What video?

#9    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,315 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

View Postdragon15066, on 25 April 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

Err... so that would mean it was roughly WEST of you, right..?  Right now (25 April 2012), at sunset where you live, Venus will be the very bright object about 35 degrees up from the horizon (about 3 and a bit fists at arm's length), and very slightly north of due West.  It will set about 3.5 hours later, in the WNW.  There are several other bright stars scattered about, like Rigel, Sirius, Capella, Procyon and Betelgeuse but Venus easily outshines them and is almost certainly the object.

Won't be Jupiter - it is now getting lost in the glare of the Sun (sorry EG!)..

Mars is much further up, and is reddish and dim.

BTW, Venus and the crescent moon should be quite a nice view tonight..

And may I too recommend Stellarium.. PLUS, how about folks get outside a bit more often and learn their skies?  Not having a go at the OP, but it does seem in the good ole days, people took more notice of the night sky..  I find it fascinating to watch the (predictable and beautiful) dance of the planets, against the rotating backdrop of the stars that itself gradually changes with the seasons..

And yeah.. what video?   :P

Edited by Chrlzs, 25 April 2012 - 12:08 PM.

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#10    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 25 April 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Err... so that would mean it was roughly WEST of you, right..?  Right now (25 April 2012), at sunset where you live, Venus will be the very bright object about 35 degrees up from the horizon (about 3 and a bit fists at arm's length), and very slightly north of due West.  It will set about 3.5 hours later, in the WNW.  There are several other bright stars scattered about, like Rigel, Sirius, Capella, Procyon and Betelgeuse but Venus easily outshines them and is almost certainly the object.

Won't be Jupiter - it is now getting lost in the glare of the Sun (sorry EG!)..

Mars is much further up, and is reddish and dim.

BTW, Venus and the crescent moon should be quite a nice view tonight..

And may I too recommend Stellarium.. PLUS, how about folks get outside a bit more often and learn their skies?  Not having a go at the OP, but it does seem in the good ole days, people took more notice of the night sky..  I find it fascinating to watch the (predictable and beautiful) dance of the planets, against the rotating backdrop of the stars that itself gradually changes with the seasons..

And yeah.. what video?   :P

No probs Charles. It was just a thought, knowing how bright it had been over the last couple of months. :)

#11    dragon15066

dragon15066

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• The Truth is all around you, hidden in plain site.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Sorry guy's. I thought I uploaded it yesterday but the file is too big. The video can be seen at My link

Posted Image Dragon15066.blogspot.com

#12    Phoenix1k

Phoenix1k

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

Looks like Venus to me.

#13    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,315 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Oh well, I'll answer..

Yes, I went out tonight and sure enough there was the crescent Moon and Venus shining brightly in the early evening sky, right where I predicted it (allowing for me being in the southern hemisphere, of course)... :D

And yes, the video looks exactly like Venus too - right colour, right location, right slow movement.  Knowing what camera was used might help us to give you advice, on how to turn autofocus off and manually focus..  When zoomed, your camera could not focus and settled on it being way out of focus (it almost got the focus right at about 0.02, but went straight past it.

Now, Venus has passed its maximum elongation (Mar 27 I think?) from the Sun and will now move back towards it slowly, until it gets lost in the Sun's glare and then begins to reappear in the dawn sky, to repeat the cycle..

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#14    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,791 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Mmm, perhaps it's Venus?  (I kid, of course it is)

Venus is appearing very bright in the evening sky in the west these days.  Jupiter was visible close to it quite recently but even no-where near as close.  There was one night a few weeks ago where the moon, Jupiter and Venus looked great close together in the night sky.  Jupiter seems to have dipped lower in the sky and I can't see it these days, maybe it's too close to the sun.

Anyway, I wanted to respond to this thread to also add my recommendation for Stellarium.  It's a great resource for locating things in the night sky and answering questions like these about what bright star it was you saw tonight, etc.

http://www.stellarium.org/

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#15    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,819 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

View Postdragon15066, on 26 April 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Sorry guy's. I thought I uploaded it yesterday but the file is too big. The video can be seen at My link

What time?

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users