Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why do we teach poetry?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 27 April 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

Yep, I had a similar problem at school with the teacher saying I was wrong. But, I thought poetry was ''in the eye of the beholder' so to speak. What one person sees in a poem might not be what another person sees, so IMO the teacher is wrong to say that.

I partially agree. The only instance in which I'd disagree is in examples where it is known what a poet was writing about (although I still think it is ok for others to hold their own interpratation of the work).

Even then though, I feel that is the wrong way to introduce one to poetry. I find that it tends to work against getting others to write when that is their starting point.

Let them write what means something to them first before asking them to decipher the work of another.

Now that I am older, and have my own poetic style, I sometimes enjoy reading famous poems  and coming to an understanding of what they are about. I can appreciate them now.

When I was younger that was far more difficult to do.

View PostEnglishgent, on 27 April 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

As for your last comment regarding females. You are quite right, although my poetry could never be classed as good. The fact that you try is enough sometimes.

I don't want to veer too far off in that direction, but in my experiences with woman, it'd be fair to say the fact that I write poetry has never worked against me.

Edited by Angel Left Wing, 27 April 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#17    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,552 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

as the singer says : i stopped beneath a falling star and wish i was a poet " who'd express him self in beautiful compassion " :D

"why should we not rely on Allah when he guided us our path . we shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. for those who want to put their trust in someone should put their trust in Allah.

#18    arenee

arenee

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• I wish I was more witty; then this might say something funny.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

One thing I remember as a young teenager was being given a poetry assignment. We had to write about something that we felt very emotional about.  I chose to write about my mother.  She was/is a drug addict and alcoholic who hit me and allowed her boyfriends to beat me.  She signed her rights to me over when I was around 9.  This has had a huge impact on me and my life and I chose to spend time on that poem, expressing my hurt and anger.  I remember working very hard on it, trying to find the right words to express myself.  I was very proud of that poem until my teacher returned it saying he'd like to talk to me.  He ripped my poem apart.  He said I used too strong of language and many other things.  He practically made me rewrite the entire thing.  I hated him for that because it meant so much to me and he tore it to pieces.  

I have seen teachers do this time and time again.  I think that poetry is a great form of expression but many times students are discouraged by these kinds of actions.  It's important to teach poetry and about it's ability to help express, but no one should ever be so frigid im judging/grading such a thing or the actual emotion could be erased from the poem entirely.

"A valuable contributor to UM! Always enjoy her clever and often original outlook. - Paxus"

#19    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Maybe some teachers forget that you can help someone express their feelings in words but you can't do it for them.  And neither should you.  Poetry is personal....  warts and all.

#20    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

What better way to say what you feel than in a creative way? It's a satisfying feeling in two different ways. You told a story in an artful way, and got something off your chest.

If asked a few months ago, I would've laughed at the idea of writing poetry, though. It's something that always felt silly to me to teach as a mandatory thing. Those who aren't into it aren't going to put any interest into it, making it pointless. Like I did the few times I had to write poetry in school.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Tell the males in the class reading poetry is like having the mind do pushups while the brain is relaxing....tell them it will help them see around corners.  And for the lassies, just tell them it's what their true love would say if he wasn't worried about being "manly"   :tu:
I was a "secret admirer" once.  I was so shy it hurt and one day I wrote the lady a poem and left it in a place she was bound to find it.  It was at our workplace and so probably wasn't the wisest thing to do but it had the desired effect.  When two people "get" a poem, it's like sharing a dream.....pretty cool.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users