Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] London rooftops to carry missiles

olympic

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,305 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Residents in east London are due to have missiles placed on their roofs this week to protect the Olympic Games from airborne terrorist attacks.

Military planners at the Ministry of Defence have decided to fit high-velocity rockets with a range of 5km to several apartment blocks close to the Olympic Park. This weekend they informed the occupants of the Lexington Building apartment complex in Bow that a missile battery would be installed this week.

The weapons are capable of shooting down aircraft and can counter "pop-up strikes" by helicopters, according to the MoD. During the Games, they will be controlled around the clock by 10 unarmed soldiers, who might be guarded by armed police.

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

Posted Image

#2    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

The Olympics smokescreen doesn't wash with anoyone! The missiles are being stationed to protect us from the impending Alien invasion by reptilians from..... wherever they come from!

#3    I Am Not Resisting

I Am Not Resisting

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Security Forces wives don't have to be told not to resist."

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Why not just arm the soldiers and save the money from having to hire armed police?  :huh:

-Don't judge me.
-Did you just say "Don't touch me"?  We're in public!

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,778 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostI Am Not Resisting, on 29 April 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Why not just arm the soldiers and save the money from having to hire armed police?  :huh:
I noticed that as well.  I wonder if it isn't a British version of our Posse Comitatus  laws?  No armed military doing police work within the country?
As to feeling safer I'd say heck yeah!!  When I'm home.  But I'd feel a little squeamish and keep glancing at overhead traffic out in public since one of them might just fall on your head :gun:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,521 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

What are they going to shoot at ?..How are they gonna tell friendly aircraft from terrorists,like Halt who goes there ? friend or foe, stop or I'll shoot.The next thing you'll see is," Plane approaching Heathrow shot down by friendly fire".

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

How are they gonna tell friendly aircraft from terrorists
heh.. there's an IFF (identification friend or foe) transponder active for this..

but..

i don't get it? ...what happens when 20 tonnes of falling terrorist plane debris crushes folks in their houses?

..should they have been supporting their team at the olympics?

..in ancient times, wars were postponed for the olympics.. times have changed..

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,778 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 29 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

What are they going to shoot at ?..How are they gonna tell friendly aircraft from terrorists,like Halt who goes there ? friend or foe, stop or I'll shoot.The next thing you'll see is," Plane approaching Heathrow shot down by friendly fire".

It could happen, Spud, but only if the terrorists were pretty sophisticated.  Every aircraft that flies has a radio signal it emits constantly to identify it.  So if there's one that's not id'd it would be fair game.  Or if the terrorists stole one or hijacked one of course the missiles might not help in time.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,113 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

'airborne terrorist attacks'!!!!  They'd stand a better chance of averting a terrorist attack if they just set up a road block around Birmingham.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#9    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

There are to be 10 soldiers to be stationed with the missiles.

View Postspud the mackem, on 29 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

What are they going to shoot at ?..

Terrorists.

#10    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

View Postunit, on 29 April 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

i don't get it? ...what happens when 20 tonnes of falling terrorist plane debris crushes folks in their houses

I'd rather 80 people got killed by falling debris from a shot down terrorist plane than having 80,000 people killed as a result of terrorist activity.

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,522 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Remember what Bill Adama said "the police protect the people, the army fights the enemy - when the army becomes the police the enemy becomes the people"

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#12    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,823 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm staying away from London for the whole event. I mean even if terrorists manage to hijack a plane, how does shooting it down over a massively populated city make any sense?! I would rather they put armed guards on the planes to stop the hijacking in the first place, or am I just using more common sense than the government?

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#13    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

View Postbulveye, on 30 April 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I'm staying away from London for the whole event. I mean even if terrorists manage to hijack a plane, how does shooting it down over a massively populated city make any sense?! I would rather they put armed guards on the planes to stop the hijacking in the first place, or am I just using more common sense than the government?
Maybe terrorists wouldn't want us to put an armed guard on a airplane they've had on permanent loan from one of the likely sources?

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#14    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,278 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

I saw this on the news this morning.  In my opinion they are conditioning the public to having military in and amongst them.  In a couple of generations nobody will think twice about having heavily armed military and police amongst an unarmed civilian populace.

This whole surface to air missile thing is bogus.  How many planes have needed to be shot down over recent olympics or other international events?  And how much tax dollars is this costing the british populace?

new world order.  a thousand points of light.

#15    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Aggghh...its not for the Olympics...its to make sure nobody riots this year..... :whistle:

Also tagged with olympic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users