Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Acronyms, Abbreviations and Text speak..!

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

I was reading a womens form page, to look things up about pregnancy symptooms  and so forth ...But one thing that annoyed me was the over use of acronyms, a lot of  abbreviations  and text speak...I did  get annoyed enough to leave and search further to other  sites, only to find they are just as bad...I could not understand  many things they were  saying...

For example  a lot of them would post up -  Well I was telling my DH about my US and happy.... Then another woman would post - Oh yes  my DH felt the same...I went in for a NSP  directed by my CLT but my DH stayed behind ....  I  got fustrated   more so on  - My DH.. I had no idea what on earth was their DH's ? Until Gary told me it meant - Darling Husband ....I was like what the  heck?  !!

My  DH  and my OB...The SCBU... ..my CS.. my US date..My CTL and my NSP..<-- these are  jammed in with acronyms ( a LOT of over used  and made up  acronyms that I have never seen before )   and text speak which makes it  almost impossible to read ...

I cannot stand the text speak when it is used on discusion boards ..I feel it should be left for the text messages  to other phones ..It is laziness for most of the time ..I can understand a little of it but  I am not great at reading text speak..
I understand so many will post using their phones, but thee is no need to use the constant text speak  is there? I know a few  on UM that post from their phones and they never use text speak.. ( thank goodness ) ...But in saying that, I have noticed the odd one here and there  use  nothing but text speak..and  it was just unreadable  ...

Sentences starting off with  lower case letters and  looking like   -   i knw dat god exists coz he ans my prayers, U pple R just in denial  god spks 2 me all the tm  god is gr8  IDK this for fct .i need no prf, U pple never look hard enough  .  <-- I read  ( well tried to read )  something like this not that long ago..and I sat thinking - Why are you so darn lazy?... Do you honestly think  people can get what  you are saying and give you a reply?  ..
I do not mind people  starting some sentences with lower case  letters.. I know they sare just typing quick, but at least their posts are still readable..  It is the  type of example  posted above I cannot read as well... And  a lot of these words cut. done from  pure bone idleness.. 4 letter words .. they drop a letter to shorten it..and  sometimes 2 - 3 letter words  shortened .. Is it too much to  type the small words in full?

Acronyms I use myself.. Usually  just the  LOL..I do that normally and not think about it..  I used to use more.. Like  -  WTF?  BTW?  IMO  FYI ?   But ever since I saw  too many  over using and making more up that I couldnt  understand.. Like   IDK <-- I once had to as a member- What is IDK ?  is it   I do know?  Or  I don't know?  Turns out it can be both  !!...*shrugs* ...I hammered down on my own use of acronyms, and I try hard to  type sentences in full and not cut corners ..
LOL is the only remaining on I will use  and  only do it becauise I dont want people to think I am that serious  ! If I could get away from using that ..I would do it .....

Bare in mind.. I am not complaining about the use of acronyms  and so on, because I understand the use of some ... I am just wondering if they go a bit far?  Meaning  too many made up  and why so many?  

Maybe I am over reacting...but I cannot help noticing how so many will be lazy and  over use the acronyms  / abbreviations and cram in too much text speak ...There are so many of these  posted on various sites I cannot understand half of them  

Do any of you feel  the same  or  similar?  Do you notice this too ?  

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 30 April 2012 - 12:46 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,633 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

I've been trying to get IMDWWYHTSBISDTTDYRTSI (I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it) to catch on, to no avail.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#3    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 30 April 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

I was reading a womens form page, to look things up about pregnancy symptooms  and so forth ...But one thing that annoyed me was the over use of acronyms, a lot of  abbreviations  and text speak...I did  get annoyed enough to leave and search further to other  sites, only to find they are just as bad...I could not understand  many things they were  saying...

For example  a lot of them would post up -  Well I was telling my DH about my US and happy.... Then another woman would post - Oh yes  my DH felt the same...I went in for a NSP  directed by my CLT but my DH stayed behind ....  I  got fustrated   more so on  - My DH.. I had no idea what on earth was their DH's ? Until Gary told me it meant - Darling Husband ....I was like what the  heck?  !!

My  DH  and my OB...The SCBU... ..my CS.. my US date..My CTL and my NSP..<-- these are  jammed in with acronyms ( a LOT of over used  and made up  acronyms that I have never seen before )   and text speak which makes it  almost impossible to read ...

I cannot stand the text speak when it is used on discusion boards ..I feel it should be left for the text messages  to other phones ..It is laziness for most of the time ..I can understand a little of it but  I am not great at reading text speak..
I understand so many will post using their phones, but thee is no need to use the constant text speak  is there? I know a few  on UM that post from their phones and they never use text speak.. ( thank goodness ) ...But in saying that, I have noticed the odd one here and there  use  nothing but text speak..and  it was just unreadable  ...

Sentences starting off with  lower case letters and  looking like   -   i knw dat god exists coz he ans my prayers, U pple R just in denial  god spks 2 me all the tm  god is gr8  IDK this for fct .i need no prf, U pple never look hard enough  .  <-- I read  ( well tried to read )  something like this not that long ago..and I sat thinking - Why are you so darn lazy?... Do you honestly think  people can get what  you are saying and give you a reply?  ..
I do not mind people  starting some sentences with lower case  letters.. I know they sare just typing quick, but at least their posts are still readable..  It is the  type of example  posted above I cannot read as well... And  a lot of these words cut. done from  pure bone idleness.. 4 letter words .. they drop a letter to shorten it..and  sometimes 2 - 3 letter words  shortened .. Is it too much to  type the small words in full?

Acronyms I use myself.. Usually  just the  LOL..I do that normally and not think about it..  I used to use more.. Like  -  WTF?  BTW?  IMO  FYI ?   But ever since I saw  too many  over using and making more up that I couldnt  understand.. Like   IDK <-- I once had to as a member- What is IDK ?  is it   I do know?  Or  I don't know?  Turns out it can be both  !!...*shrugs* ...I hammered down on my own use of acronyms, and I try hard to  type sentences in full and not cut corners ..
LOL is the only remaining on I will use  and  only do it becauise I dont want people to think I am that serious  ! If I could get away from using that ..I would do it .....

Bare in mind.. I am not complaining about the use of acronyms  and so on, because I understand the use of some ... I am just wondering if they go a bit far?  Meaning  too many made up  and why so many?  

Maybe I am over reacting...but I cannot help noticing how so many will be lazy and  over use the acronyms  / abbreviations and cram in too much text speak ...There are so many of these  posted on various sites I cannot understand half of them  

I sympathize with you! I have looked up more than my fair share of these acronyms over the years. What really bothers me is that a lot of them have multiple meanings......then you have to decide which one fits what you're reading.

I have a plain old fashioned cell phone.....no texting and I like it that way.

I guess we just have to put up with it.........unfortunately........or start a movement!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#4    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

What's even worse is when someone verbally uses text speak. You know, people who actually throw out a "oh em gee" into conversation or maybe the occasional "L-O-L!". Yes i know these people...

But yes, discussion forums,(especially  the pregnancy/child info ones from what i can tell) are horrible. All the DH, DD,DS used to make me roll my eyes much too often. I think it was more because of "darling" husband more than the abbreviation though, maybe. :lol:

#5    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,836 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

That god awful text language needs to be shot and killed. It is stupid and makes people look stupid.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#6    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 30 April 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

What's even worse is when someone verbally uses text speak. You know, people who actually throw out a "oh em gee" into conversation or maybe the occasional "L-O-L!". Yes i know these people...

But yes, discussion forums,(especially  the pregnancy/child info ones from what i can tell) are horrible. All the DH, DD,DS used to make me roll my eyes much too often. I think it was more because of "darling" husband more than the abbreviation though, maybe. :lol:

My head spun  reading the womens pregnancy and health boards...  just as you noted ...there were so many abbreviations and  made up acronyms    it just floored me..  

I was going to  register to say -  What in the word are you women talking about?   Can someone   anyone   explain all these  short abbreviations  and long winded acronyms  you post? I do not get it...Thanks in advance   If you all do not understand  what I am  saying... I'll put it in  a language you might be able to read better  .. ->  Can some1 ..any1  plz  exp 2 me what your many use of AB's and long winded AC's   that you pst ?  I DNGT  thx  INA......!!!     <-- what would shock me more is they would  read that mumbo and answer it  lol  :w00t:

#7    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

View Post_Only, on 30 April 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

I've been trying to get IMDWWYHTSBISDTTDYRTSI (I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it) to catch on, to no avail.

Ha ha  I like it.......Sorry  I meant -  ILKIT

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 30 April 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

That god awful text language needs to be shot and killed. It is stupid and makes people look stupid.

I agree...Before cell phones  ( mobiles )  were invented and became the big rage...  People used to actually write  using FULL letters and proper words....Those days are long over

View PostEuphorbia, on 30 April 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

I sympathize with you! I have looked up more than my fair share of these acronyms over the years. What really bothers me is that a lot of them have multiple meanings......then you have to decide which one fits what you're reading.

I have a plain old fashioned cell phone.....no texting and I like it that way.

I guess we just have to put up with it.........unfortunately........or start a movement!

Oh yes, start a movement sounds good.. If only.... I wish for once they would  knock it on the head...  It is  going a bit far and ripping the as* clean out of it.. The mutli meanings are just plain absurd.... If you were to start a movement....what would you call it? What ever happened to  words  in full letters?    OR  call it -  Didn't you know there are cell phones  invented with  predictive  text...USE IT.. and quit being so lazy ..Oh to run such a movement would be fun.... Couldnt you just picture  the lazy text people fighting back?.....   It would be -  Down wif U stuk up spkrs, quit piking  on us,.this is discrim agnst us, coz we knw hw to ct coners and you dont .LMAO .........It would most liekly look like that   or worse  :w00t:

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

As someone with a BA in English, yes I despise this text-speak and more especially the "leet" speak crap. However, there are a few that I use when chatting with friends online, like lol or brb or lmao. I try my best not to use them when I have unlimited writing space to get my point across. It's just an all around laziness; including the horrid spelling kids use these days in lieu of the proper word. Like gud for good.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 30 April 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

... one thing that annoyed me was the over use of acronyms, ...

... Is it too much to  type the small words in full?

Acronyms I use myself.. Usually  just the  LOL..I do that normally and not think about it..

... There are so many of these  posted on various sites I cannot understand half of them  

I agree with you completely on this, BM. Very often I read a straight-forward post on UM, and the acronyms used there are sometimes quite puzzling. It's almost as if it is a "code" for insiders. :tu:

#10    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 30 April 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

As someone with a BA in English, yes I despise this text-speak and more especially the "leet" speak crap. However, there are a few that I use when chatting with friends online, like lol or brb or lmao. I try my best not to use them when I have unlimited writing space to get my point across. It's just an all around laziness; including the horrid spelling kids use these days in lieu of the proper word. Like gud for good.

What may I ask  is 'leet' speak?

#11    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Using a 3 instead of an E, a 1 in place of an L, 0 in place of O, 5 in place of S and 4 in place of an A.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#12    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 30 April 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

You got me on brb, Offeiriad. What does that mean?

Oh -- OK. I just asked my son, who told me that it means "be right back", and is usually used in chatrooms, facebook etc.

I think I was born in the wrong generation, lol. :blush:

#13    _Only

_Only

• 6,633 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostKarlis, on 30 April 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

I agree with you completely on this, BM. Very often I read a straight-forward post on UM, and the acronyms used there are sometimes quite puzzling. It's almost as if it is a "code" for insiders. :tu:

I saw this one awhile back that I struggled to figure out for a decent amount of time: 10x.

In a sentence: 10x a lot, bro! :rolleyes:

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostKarlis, on 30 April 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

I don't mind some acronyms  like LOL.. to add...I don't mind some abbreviations  of the odd word  OR names.. Like what you have just done.. calling me  - BM or one you used to use..- B's Mom  I figued that was just an Aussie way of speaking at the time :P    We all know it is an abbreviation of a persons  ID or name... But  the other multi abbreviations and long winded  acronyms  and nasty text speak  is  too much ....

#15    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostKarlis, on 30 April 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

You got me on brb, Offeiriad. What does that mean?

Oh -- OK. I just asked my son, who told me that it means "be right back", and is usually used in chatrooms, facebook etc.

I think I was born in the wrong generation, lol. :blush:

BRB  = Be Right Back.. Usually only ever used if  two or more people are in a  live chatroom  ...  It is not really suitable for forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users