Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

One in seven thinks end of world is coming

world

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#46    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Postturn on tune in, on 06 May 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

theres no harm in covering your bets on this day and taking a weeks holiday in a designated safe area
How do you know where that safe area will be, if you don't know what will happen?

#47    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 02 May 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

It is coming, every second brings it closer, when the sun swallows the earth.

Indeed..

...each one of the 156,000,000,000,000,000,000 seconds remaining does exacly that.  It's a daily worry for many of us!

...To illustrate the sillyness, that immense number represents about 70 MILLION human lifetimes, back-to-back... :whistle:

#48    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

Well I was skeptic about the end of the world but for sure I'm now convince it's the end of France now that a certain NL has been elected;

Bye bye France

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#49    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,255 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 06 May 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Would you like to buy some End of the World insurance?

I'll have some of that. Will it work a bit like this?

Posted Image

#50    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

View Postturn on tune in, on 06 May 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

theres no harm in covering your bets on this day and taking a weeks holiday in a designated safe area

I wonder if someone is gonna build a huge airport in Bugarach

Or build a drop zone to parachute to it :P

clicky here

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#51    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,582 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 07 May 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

I'll have some of that. Will it work a bit like this?

Yeah something like that, however it offers no protection against other disasters, just the end of the world.

#52    tysennoah

tysennoah

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

No way, it ain't gonna happen.

#53    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 06 May 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Agreed,but why are all these folk getting up tight about it ?..To believe a race that has become extinct and would think a t.v is magic is total rubbish,their weekend pleasure wasn't going to the movies but doing human sacrifice.
The real bizarre thing is, these people aren't believing what the Mayans have predicted cos they didn't predict anything in particular.  These people are believing what the scaremongers of this generation are selling as the "bonafide" translation of the Mayan Calendar - bunch of snake oil salesmen IMO, giving archeologists and sociologists/historians a bad name.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#54    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

What is really weird is the fact the Mayan calendar is compared to the Gregorian one which is based on nothing.

République No.6

#55    DvL

DvL

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• nunc est bibendum

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Good for the world economy, all those people who re-mortgage and take out huge loans because the world is gonna end :)

Also good for small business :)  invest in survival packages and long live food for all those people who gonna hide in their shelters....

I am certainly gonna buy shares in supermarket chains ;)

#56    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostDvL, on 07 May 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Good for the world economy, all those people who re-mortgage and take out huge loans because the world is gonna end :)

Also good for small business :)  invest in survival packages and long live food for all those people who gonna hide in their shelters....

I am certainly gonna buy shares in supermarket chains ;)

That might be a great idea DvL...

1 in 7 believes this stuff?

That's somewhere around 50 MILLION potential customers (investors!) :-*

#57    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 06 May 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Agreed,but why are all these folk getting up tight about it ?..To believe a race that has become extinct and would think a t.v is magic is total rubbish,their weekend pleasure wasn't going to the movies but doing human sacrifice.

I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say here.

Are you claiming Mayans are inferior because they didn't have TV sets, and performed human sacrifices in their culture?

And that this had anything to do with something they wrote down, which was translated (who knows how accurately) years later by other people, creating loose theories, which became grandiose theories once people who could sell advertising time and movies about it caught on to the idea?

This isn't the first time you've called a culture simpleton savages, who supposedly set out to tell us all that the world is ending in 2012. You're buying a story that people are selling you, and directing your ill thoughts in the complete wrong direction.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#58    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

I grow weary of this 2012 madness.. :angry:

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#59    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Only 7 more months of it to go, one way or the other.

#60    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Okay, you guys who thinks that end is near you can save your souls and give all the money you have. :innocent:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

Also tagged with world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users