Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Europe selects Jupiter mission

esa solar system jupiter unmanned jupiter icy moon explorer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,084 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

A proposal to study Jupiter's icy moons is now the front runner for selection as a billion-euro space mission.

However, formal selection of the mission will have to wait until a European space committee meets to discuss the contenders in May.

The Juice mission would launch in 2022 and would help assess whether Jupiter's moons could support life.

It has been up against two other concepts in the European Space Agency's (Esa) Cosmic Vision competition.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

The European Space Agency (Esa) is to mount a billion-euro mission to Jupiter and its icy moons.

The probe, called Juice, has just been approved at a meeting of member state delegations in Paris.

It would be built in time for a launch in 2022, although it would be a further eight years before it reached the Jovian system.

The mission has emerged from a five-year-long competition to find the next "large class" space venture in Europe.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,334 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

An almost bankrupt EU can spend a billion dollars shooting rockets at Jupiter.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Him over there

Him over there

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

If the EU finds life on one of the moons of Jupiter they will want to offer it membership of the EU and we will then have the aliens at our borders, in our hospitals, claiming benefits and child allowance on broods of hundreds of offspring.

#5    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Makes a change to spend the money on something other than Greece I suppose.

#6    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

So what if EU's broke, at least they are still willing to spend money they don't have on peaceful things rather than war like the US does. It's a miracle we even have NASA still after 9/11 how they funneled money into security and war.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 02 May 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

The EU is not broke, 5 of 27 countries are...which is not quite the same. ESA was financed in its majority by the Germans anyway... and they are doing quite well...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 02 May 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

View PostHim over there, on 03 May 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

If the EU finds life on one of the moons of Jupiter they will want to offer it membership of the EU

View Postskookum, on 03 May 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Makes a change to spend the money on something other than Greece I suppose.

View PostTheMolePatrol, on 03 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

So what if EU's broke

Before this discussion goes even further off topic (it is, after all, a thread on the exploration of Jupiter, not European economics) there is something you probably should know:

This is NOT a European Union mission. It IS a European Space Agency mission.

Apart from both being European based organisations and sharing some of the same members these two organisations are not connected.

Of the 27 EU member states only 17 are members of ESA. Further more Norway and Switzerland are ESA members but are not in the EU.

View Postquestionmark, on 03 May 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

ESA was financed in its majority by the Germans anyway... and they are doing quite well...

Actually Germany contributes only 17.9% of ESAs budget. France is the largest contributer with 18.8%.

Right, now we've cleared that up, naybe we can discuss this mission and the exploration of Jupiter and its moons.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 21 February 2013 - 12:38 PM.
typo

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,426 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

Agree any attempt to fly a mission to Jupiters moons is a wise investment . No matter whom spearheads it. I would think that its actually one of our best chances to find life. Im ready to go !

This is a Work in Progress!

#10    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,785 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm all for science and exploration, but given our global circumstances shouldn't we be focusing on LIFE on EARTH ?

#11    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,571 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

about time we went to jupiter and am pleased ESA are taking a lead role.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postpallidin, on 04 May 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm all for science and exploration, but given our global circumstances shouldn't we be focusing on LIFE on EARTH ?

We should do our best to find a substitute, as we are taking this place apart fast!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users