Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

UK: Tory humiliation as Labour gain 823 seats


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,008 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

Quote

Prime Minister David Cameron today apologised to hundreds of Conservative councilors who lost their seats as the party suffered a crushing defeat to Labour who went beyond the 700 positions they were expected to win.

Labour had claimed 823 seats by 7pm this evening as the Tories lost 405 councillors - more than a third of their regional power.

The figure gave Labour 32 more councils, while Tories had lost 12 and Lib Dems lost one. Lib Dems had lost 336 seats - more than expected - in a particularly bad defeat for the party.

http://www.dailymail...-800-seats.html

Posted Image

#2    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,090 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

So, it would appear that once again the Great British public have voted to perpetuate the political scandal that we accept as democracy in this country. Once again the sheeple have paraded as required and voted for the main parties who are now able to continue dipping into the public purse at will.

At least on the surface that is the picture but if you delve deeper than the headlines that the BBC splurged this morning...'Victory for Labour'... then a different picture emerges. Early indications are that over two thirds of the public ignored the local elections. Personally I don't believe that these results reflect the mood of the country.

Most people are now so disillusioned with the conduct of the politicians on every side that they cannot see the point of voting. Unfortunately that gives the politicians, yet again, a mandate to serve you with more of the same. It would not matter if only three people voted in a city of two million because when two of them vote for the same party victory is assured. There is no minimum requirement, no quorum rule and no regulation which demands that an election is declared null en void because the people are fed up.

Opting out, spoiling ballot papers and sticking your head in the sand will not get rid of them because you can almost guarantee that the only people left who continue to vote for the system actually work within it! Anyone who votes for a party that produced, Blair, Mandelson, Prescott, Gordon Brown, the Milibands, Ed Balls, Jacqui Smith, etc, etc can only have one motive and that has to be financial. Decency and democracy have long since disappeared from this poltical class. We see it daily at the succession of public inquiries which uncover their rottenness. You will have to bite the bullet and vote them out!

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#3    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 04 May 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

So, it would appear that once again the Great British public have voted to perpetuate the political scandal that we accept as democracy in this country. Once again the sheeple have paraded as required and voted for the main parties who are now able to continue dipping into the public purse at will.

At least on the surface that is the picture but if you delve deeper than the headlines that the BBC splurged this morning...'Victory for Labour'... then a different picture emerges. Early indications are that over two thirds of the public ignored the local elections. Personally I don't believe that these results reflect the mood of the country.

Most people are now so disillusioned with the conduct of the politicians on every side that they cannot see the point of voting. Unfortunately that gives the politicians, yet again, a mandate to serve you with more of the same. It would not matter if only three people voted in a city of two million because when two of them vote for the same party victory is assured. There is no minimum requirement, no quorum rule and no regulation which demands that an election is declared null en void because the people are fed up.

Opting out, spoiling ballot papers and sticking your head in the sand will not get rid of them because you can almost guarantee that the only people left who continue to vote for the system actually work within it! Anyone who votes for a party that produced, Blair, Mandelson, Prescott, Gordon Brown, the Milibands, Ed Balls, Jacqui Smith, etc, etc can only have one motive and that has to be financial. Decency and democracy have long since disappeared from this poltical class. We see it daily at the succession of public inquiries which uncover their rottenness. You will have to bite the bullet and vote them out!

When in a recession Governments can do two things to get out of it -
1. Increase the money supply which lowers inflation and kick-starts the economy (This has been done).
2. Lower taxes and increase spending to get money circulating in the economy (This hasnt been done).

Modern economics teaches that the only way to get out of a serious recession is by doing both together which is called neo-classical macroeconomic synthesis. Neither the Conservatives or the Labour Party have all the right policies to resolve the situation. We need -
1. Quantitive easing (Done)
2. Increase the amount of state employees (Labour would do this)
3. Freeze state employees wages (Conservatives trying to do this)
4. Increase jobseekers allowance in vouchers which are time dated so claiments are forced to spend them (No one is doing this)
5. Remove the minimum wage so more people can be employed (No one is doing this)
6. Create a new debt free bank for investment which will issue credit to a business only if a bank wont and the business has a viable need (No one is doing this)
7. Financial transations tax to reduce the flow of money out of the country (The French and Germans proposed this but Cameron rejected it)
8. Reduce income and corporate taxes (Conservatives seem to think it should only apply to the wealthy)

Now as for the next General Election my predictions are as follows -
1. The Conservatives will lose a lot of votes to UKIP and a few to Labour.
2. Labour will form a coalition government with the Liberal Democrats.
3. UKIP will become a major party ahead of the Liberal Democrats but behind the big two.
4. Respect and some other minor parties will pick up a few votes.
5. The BNP will have folded due to internal problems.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 04 May 2012 - 10:19 PM.


#4    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,090 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Just an observation. Can you remember just before the last general election when three leaders were having those televised three-way debates & the left wing media (BBC) were saying how great Clegg was compared to the other two. They obviously believed that he was gonna side with the Labour party. & have you know noticed how the same BBC take every opportunity to 'put the boot in' whenever his name is mentioned, just watch any so called 'topical' comedy on BBC.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 05 May 2012 - 10:39 AM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm a bit disappointed by the council elections.  It would have been nice to see those Labours tools trounced.

Still, at least Boris was re-elected London Mayor.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 05 May 2012 - 12:55 PM.


#6    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 05 May 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Just an observation. Can you remember just before the last general election when three leaders were having those televised three-way debates & the left wing media (BBC) were saying how great Clegg was compared to the other two. They obviously believed that he was gonna side with the Labour party. & have you know noticed how the same BBC take every opportunity to 'put the boot in' whenever his name is mentioned, just watch any so called 'topical' comedy on BBC.

The Liberal Democrats were right to form a Coalition with the Conservatives and not Labour, despite what the Left say.

The Conservatives got the most votes and the most seats at the last General Election so it would have been wrong for the two other main parties, who both did worse than the Conservatives, to form a government.

It should always be the largest party in Parliament forming a coalition with at least one other party, in my opinion, not the party that finished second and the party that finished third forming a coalition, which is what the Lefty eejits wanted.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 05 May 2012 - 12:59 PM.


#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 05 May 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Just an observation. Can you remember just before the last general election when three leaders were having those televised three-way debates & the left wing media (BBC) were saying how great Clegg was compared to the other two. They obviously believed that he was gonna side with the Labour party. & have you know noticed how the same BBC take every opportunity to 'put the boot in' whenever his name is mentioned, just watch any so called 'topical' comedy on BBC.

I think its the younger generation that the BBC targets because once a person has voted in a couple of elections they know what the BBCs game is. I also notice the Labour Party plays the same game targeting youngsters through Student Unions.

The Conservatives don't compete on a level playing field and are weak. Conservatism is about anti-immigration, anti-eu, keeping traditions, family values and militarism yet the Conservatives caved on all of them a long time ago. Labour and the Liberals have held true to their values.

I want to see a strong Conservative leader stand up and tell the lot of them where to go. I want a leader thats going to stop immigration, get us out the EU, rebuild our industry, sort our social problems out and go and restablish Britain as a military and economic superpower. Enough of this rubbish!

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 05 May 2012 - 01:19 PM.


#8    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,090 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 05 May 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I think its the younger generation that the BBC targets because once a person has voted in a couple of elections they know what the BBCs game is. I also notice the Labour Party plays the same game targeting youngsters through Student Unions.

The Conservatives don't compete on a level playing field and are weak. Conservatism is about anti-immigration, anti-eu, keeping traditions, family values and militarism yet the Conservatives caved on all of them a long time ago. Labour and the Liberals have held true to their values.

I want to see a strong Conservative leader stand up and tell the lot of them where to go. I want a leader thats going to stop immigration, get us out the EU, rebuild our industry, sort our social problems out and go and restablish Britain as a military and economic superpower. Enough of this rubbish!

In other words UKIP. I'm with you on that.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#9    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 05 May 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

In other words UKIP. I'm with you on that.

The UKIP are made out of right wingers not happy at the Conservatives selling out and not happy at the extremism within the BNP.

In truth the right needs to sort itself out and go through some kind of rebirth. I would prefer to see this happen followed by the Conservatives and UKIP merging.


#10    smurf0852

smurf0852

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined:21 Jan 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 05 May 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I think its the younger generation that the BBC targets because once a person has voted in a couple of elections they know what the BBCs game is. I also notice the Labour Party plays the same game targeting youngsters through Student Unions.

The Conservatives don't compete on a level playing field and are weak. Conservatism is about anti-immigration, anti-eu, keeping traditions, family values and militarism yet the Conservatives caved on all of them a long time ago. Labour and the Liberals have held true to their values.

I want to see a strong Conservative leader stand up and tell the lot of them where to go. I want a leader thats going to stop immigration, get us out the EU, rebuild our industry, sort our social problems out and go and restablish Britain as a military and economic superpower. Enough of this rubbish!
the problem is most of the younger generation are educated  beyond the point of believeing everything some toff tells them .conservatism is at its roots about protecting wealth from peasents (thats why they were founded) and it is now showing this by the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer.we will never be (and i wouldnt want us to be )a super power .the thing is labour are just the same they just talk different crap.
we need fair wages an end to the pathetic childish chase of excesive wealth and social responsibility.but that will never happen because humans are weak minded pathetic animals so im afraid we are screwed.


#11    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,545 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

The turnout was 30% here in liverpool, labour won no surprise, but when you the break down the number of votes its shows the faults in a so called democracy and not having mandatory voting. the councilors have a cheek to call it democracy. but 70% of people didnt vote. the councilors strut around like peacocks, like they have some sort of mandate from the people. when in fact they have a manadate but from the minority. labour have won seats but on a much reduced turnout.

Edited by stevewinn, 06 May 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#12    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

View Postsmurf0852, on 06 May 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

the problem is most of the younger generation are educated  beyond the point of believeing everything some toff tells them .conservatism is at its roots about protecting wealth from peasents (thats why they were founded) and it is now showing this by the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer.we will never be (and i wouldnt want us to be )a super power .the thing is labour are just the same they just talk different crap.
we need fair wages an end to the pathetic childish chase of excesive wealth and social responsibility.but that will never happen because humans are weak minded pathetic animals so im afraid we are screwed.

Having seen some of the left wing extermism in many of your other posts your above opinion doesnt surprise me. People have the minimum wage which is set at a high enough level to enable them to live a decent quality of life. If you want more you have to earn it. I'm fed up of people who aren't prepared to struggle through university and put in lots of hard work spitting venom at the success of others who have. You may as well move to North Korea.


#13    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 06 May 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

The turnout was 30% here in liverpool, labour won no surprise, but when you the break down the number of votes its shows the faults in a so called democracy and not having mandatory voting. the councilors have a cheek to call it democracy. but 70% of people didnt vote. the councilors strut around like peacocks, like they have some sort of mandate from the people. when in fact they have a manadate but from the minority. labour have won seats but on a much reduced turnout.

Bad isnt it?


#14    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,313 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

I cant see why all the fuss.....the next idiot will be along soon to add to all the mess that is Britain

Edited by BrianPotter, 06 May 2012 - 04:02 PM.


#15    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,545 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Mr Right Wing said:

Bad isnt it?

its bloody criminal. there should be some rule that if less than 70% of eligible voters dont vote then the vote/election doesn't count. this is why we have the politicians we see to day - we get what we deserve. but it highlights the main reason for apathy, politicians only have to appeal to the minority, hence minority rules.

We need Compulsory voting, that means the politicians would have to appeal to the majority and majority rules. i often look at our friends in the land down under, and see a more representative political environment.

if the UK were to bring in compulsory voting the ballot paper would have to have the option of 'none of the above' if none of the above made up 51% or more of the vote the - voting / election would have to be re-run. cost might be a factor but your cant put a price on democracy.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users