Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UK: Tory humiliation as Labour gain 823 seats

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 06 May 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

its bloody criminal. there should be some rule that if less than 70% of eligible voters dont vote then the vote/election doesn't count. this is why we have the politicians we see to day - we get what we deserve. but it highlights the main reason for apathy, politicians only have to appeal to the minority, hence minority rules.

We need Compulsory voting, that means the politicians would have to appeal to the majority and majority rules. i often look at our friends in the land down under, and see a more representative political environment.

if the UK were to bring in compulsory voting the ballot paper would have to have the option of 'none of the above' if none of the above made up 51% or more of the vote the - voting / election would have to be re-run. cost might be a factor but your cant put a price on democracy.

Well a decent government is worth the money so I agree

#17    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 06 May 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Having seen some of the left wing extermism in many of your other posts your above opinion doesnt surprise me. People have the minimum wage which is set at a high enough level to enable them to live a decent quality of life. If you want more you have to earn it. I'm fed up of people who aren't prepared to struggle through university and put in lots of hard work spitting venom at the success of others who have. You may as well move to North Korea.
see this shows just how narrow your thinking is you think the minimum wage is enough to give a decent quality of life even though most people who are on it are also on benefits. just so they can do those things you think only posh people should be able to do like live in a house and eat something other than tripe.
struggle through university hmm yea its hard work to be sure .but i will always remmember bumping into an old school friend of mine on the night she found out she had passed her honours degree .it was a week after i had passed my all arms commando course.the thing is she has been unemployed ever since and i have never been unemployed in my life .
what i am trying to get at is you think only people who go to university are worth anything that is wrong .we need people to get degrees but that really doesnt mean they are worth more as humans that people who struggle along a different path.
i will say again the wealth gap needs to close not totaly just to a level where people can survive on the wages they get and not have to get a top up from taxes just to support top earners .

#18    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,610 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

If someone didn't vote, doesn't that mean they simply don't care who's in charge and anyone who can do it will do?  That is a kind of vote in and of itself.

#19    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Postsmurf0852, on 07 May 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

see this shows just how narrow your thinking is you think the minimum wage is enough to give a decent quality of life even though most people who are on it are also on benefits. just so they can do those things you think only posh people should be able to do like live in a house and eat something other than tripe.
struggle through university hmm yea its hard work to be sure .but i will always remmember bumping into an old school friend of mine on the night she found out she had passed her honours degree .it was a week after i had passed my all arms commando course.the thing is she has been unemployed ever since and i have never been unemployed in my life .
what i am trying to get at is you think only people who go to university are worth anything that is wrong .we need people to get degrees but that really doesnt mean they are worth more as humans that people who struggle along a different path.
i will say again the wealth gap needs to close not totaly just to a level where people can survive on the wages they get and not have to get a top up from taxes just to support top earners .

Low income households are taxed too much. They pay NI contributions to the NHS, they pay tax on their cars, tax on their petrol, VAT, tax on their income, etc. Business also pay NI contributions on their staff as well as corporate taxes. Some of the tax is needed as it provides things like the police, roads and the armed forces. Most of the taxes are wasted on a needless social state.

I say wasted because the running costs of private hospitals are far below the NHS. People think the price of private healthcare is to high for a low income household to take out a proper healthcare policy yet have they actually looked at how much NI contributions they pay compared to the costs of a policy? Bupa policies start at less than £12 a month. If you're working you pay more in NI per week. Shall I do the private unemployment cover etc?

Low income households pay more for the social net than they would pay for private policies. The money is wasted on beaucracy, management, agency nurses and paying over the odds for drugs. You would have far more money in your pocket if the social state was dismantled and you took out private policies. The government can also keep a couple of billion aside for those that fall through it which is a fraction of the £100 billion + budget the NHS gets every year without me even getting to other aspects of the social state.

Every tax placed on business means its costs increase. This reduces employment and makes it harder to compete. The left are their own worst enemy. We need a true capitalist state and yes it would work for you.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 07 May 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#20    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 07 May 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Low income households are taxed too much. They pay NI contributions to the NHS, they pay tax on their cars, tax on their petrol, VAT, tax on their income, etc. Business also pay NI contributions on their staff as well as corporate taxes. Some of the tax is needed as it provides things like the police, roads and the armed forces. Most of the taxes are wasted on a needless social state.

I say wasted because the running costs of private hospitals are far below the NHS. People think the price of private healthcare is to high for a low income household to take out a proper healthcare policy yet have they actually looked at how much NI contributions they pay compared to the costs of a policy? Bupa policies start at less than £12 a month. If you're working you pay more in NI per week. Shall I do the private unemployment cover etc?

Low income households pay more for the social net than they would pay for private policies. The money is wasted on beaucracy, management, agency nurses and paying over the odds for drugs. You would have far more money in your pocket if the social state was dismantled and you took out private policies. The government can also keep a couple of billion aside for those that fall through it which is a fraction of the £100 billion + budget the NHS gets every year without me even getting to other aspects of the social state.

Every tax placed on business means its costs increase. This reduces employment and makes it harder to compete. The left are their own worst enemy. We need a true capitalist state and yes it would work for you.
lol bupa do not and never have covered emergency care cancer care diabeties care or any long term medical cover to make that comparison shows how out of touch with reality you are .you seem to think the country should be ran by aristocrats and business owners .
as if they are the fountain of virtue and all that is right .it is that bunch of half wits that have got us into the mess we are in.
thing is the tories have got it wrong (at least in the short term) you can not starve your way out of a famine you need to feed the economy for it to grow stronger .tax cuts for the rich mean nothing ,someone with a porche going and buying another porche doesnt help you need millions of people buying and extra pint of milk or box of fish fingers every week to get the economy growing .for that you need to invest in infastructure pay a decent wage and make sure the people who should be paying tax pay it instead of righting off 130 billion of tax because it is owed by rich people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users