Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Consciouness without brain activity

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,429 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

#2    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 04 May 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

Other ways of thinking. Imagine that.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,577 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

I guess no one is lining up to test this hypothesis.

#4    Alzimba

Alzimba

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

The present of consciousness without brain activity is definitely a mysterious phenomenon of the known world. But just think about it, just cause there are evidence of consciousness
being present without brain activity proves nothing about a personal God's existence. It just means nature is much more mysterious and beautiful than one could expect.

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 05 May 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I guess no one is lining up to test this hypothesis.
Don't worry, you will one day. I promise.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostAlzimba, on 16 May 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

The present of consciousness without brain activity is definitely a mysterious phenomenon of the known world. But just think about it, just cause there are evidence of consciousness
being present without brain activity proves nothing about a personal God's existence. It just means nature is much more mysterious and beautiful than one could expect.

It is not even a phenomena at all, there is absolutely zero evidence for it.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 05 May 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

There is plenty of evidence that the mind is connected to but not located inside the brain.

The problem here is people are unable to accept science at odds with them being an automation. As I've discovered on these forums, funnily enough with the posters on this very debate which have replied before me, any science at odds with their world view is dismissed as being made up or wrong.

Even when you give them links too they are totally unable to accept they arent automatons. The way I see it is thats why people die. If they didnt there would be little scientific progress in the world.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 18 May 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#8    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 18 May 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

There is plenty of evidence that the mind is connected to but not located inside the brain.

The problem here is people are unable to accept science at odds with them being an automation. As I've discovered on these forums, funnily enough with the posters on this very debate which have replied before me, any science at odds with their world view is dismissed as being made up or wrong.

Even when you give them links too they are totally unable to accept they arent automatons. The way I see it is thats why people die. If they didnt there would be little scientific progress in the world.

There is a ton of evidence that the mind is a product of the brain. That is infact what evidence very strongly suggests in general. You know, like the fields of Endocrinology and Biochemistry.

If you wish to show real evidence that suggest the mind is located outside the brain, feel free (note, quantum physics is not linked to the mind or brain in any real way).

Edited by Mattshark, 18 May 2012 - 02:08 PM.

YNWA

#9    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Very interesting

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#10    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 05 May 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

What you mean conjecture and making things up? Even what he cited it is nothing more than claims.

Oh and the Greyson is an ignorant moron who completely ignores the fact the NDE's can be triggered manually and accepts claims with no evidence and doesn't use rational. The man is a fool.

YNWA

#11    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostMattshark, on 18 May 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

There is a ton of evidence that the mind is a product of the brain. That is infact what evidence very strongly suggests in general. You know, like the fields of Endocrinology and Biochemistry.

If you wish to show real evidence that suggest the mind is located outside the brain, feel free (note, quantum physics is not linked to the mind or brain in any real way).

You have been shown that the reality you think exists is nothing more than perception. You have been shown that those peceptions exist outside your head all around you. Therefore you have been shown why your mind is connected too but not located inside your head. Deal with it.

One thing which is quite irritating about you is your ability to quote random scientific fields as evidence to support your flawed views which have nothing to do with the debate.

The nature of mind is whats being discussed not your bodily functions. Try looking into the mind-body problem and you'll realise the mind is quite different from the body and therefore can not arise from it.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 18 May 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#12    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 18 May 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

You have been shown that the reality you think exists is nothing more than sensory perception. Deal with it.

One thing which is quite irritating about you is your ability to quote random scientific fields as evidence to support your views which have nothing to do with the debate.

The nature of mind is whats being discussed not your bodily functions. Try looking into the mind-body problem and you'll realise the mind is quite different from the body.

No, you haven't. All you have done is make philosophical arguments and presumed they have scientific relevance.

They are not random at, clearly there are completely relevant, you just don't like what they and have a lot to do with this debate. You don't think biochemistry which is covers brain chemistry and how that can alter the mind and endocrinology which covers hormonal control of behaviour and emotion are irrelevant?

I know plenty about it. Evidence points to the mind being product of the brain. Get over it.

YNWA

#13    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostMattshark, on 18 May 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

No, you haven't. All you have done is make philosophical arguments and presumed they have scientific relevance.

They are not random at, clearly there are completely relevant, you just don't like what they and have a lot to do with this debate. You don't think biochemistry which is covers brain chemistry and how that can alter the mind and endocrinology which covers hormonal control of behaviour and emotion are irrelevant?

I know plenty about it. Evidence points to the mind being product of the brain. Get over it.

Firstly I have never denied that the mind is connected to the body.
Secondly you were given the science links showing you that the reality you experience is just sensory perception.

Shall we start all over again with colour? Whats colour made out of matter or energy? Its made out of neither as it isnt a property of light its sensory perception - http://en.wikipedia....sual_perception

I know you have problems understanding that the reality you experience is just mental perceptions. Maybe thats why you cant accept that as reality exists around you your mind exists outside of your head.

Time to set you up by asking you to explain to everybody what colour is - matter, energy or mind?
(His answer can be evaluated against the above Wiki link)

Watch in amazement as he will either side step the question or tell you colour is not perception in conflict with science. This person lies to support his materialistic worldview, has convinced himself they arent lies and will argue all day long with you that you are wrong. He claims science supports his worldview while denying all science at odds with materialism.

Its laughable really.

#14    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Bangs head against the wall.

You are clueless, you really are. You can't fathom the difference between conjecture and science. You also ignore half the factors for your argument because you don't like them.

Edited by Mattshark, 18 May 2012 - 03:58 PM.

YNWA

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostMattshark, on 18 May 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

What you mean conjecture and making things up? Even what he cited it is nothing more than claims.

Oh and the Greyson is an ignorant moron who completely ignores the fact the NDE's can be triggered manually and accepts claims with no evidence and doesn't use rational. The man is a fool.
I'll refrain from calling anyone foolish, but If a scientist really wants to, he/she can probably trigger the feeling of being kicked in the balls. That says nothing about really being kicked in the balls. That argument is foolish, tired, and old.  It's like saying because we can trigger the smell of flowers that flowers are not real.

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users